Frugality taken too far?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by John_S, 11th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

a non-consumption tax? Anti GST?

How could a licence fee work for this sort of thing?

Harry30 likes this.
  2. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

I reckon a similar system as a green slip. Police are equipped to be notified if your "van life" registration is not valid when passing by.

On the contrary, I'm very much for people paying their dues. I find it unfair that I'm expected to pay for the rates when people of this lifestyle doesn't have to.

3. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

Where do you draw the line with people who are homeless or sleeping out of their car temporarily due to not having housing? Sadly I think our taxes would pay more in administering such a scheme than it would positively generate.

4. Terry_w

a green slip on what tho? Could start charging for medical treatment for those with taxable incomes under the medicare levy. But how would you distinguish between the poor and the frugal independent?

A better way would be to make religious institutions pay taxes like others have to.

Hodor, luckyone, XBenX and 2 others like this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

If that was me, I would be bored in the confines of a caravan, and before you know it, kid 5, 6, 7, 8, ... would be filling up the van :D.

Phantom, albanga and Marg4000 like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea?

So a person buys a caravan and pays its annual rego. They have a car and pay for the car's rego. Or they have a motorhome with rego. How is this not paying their share of taxes? How much fuel taxes do these people pay every year? You do know that the majority of free camps require the visitors to move on after 72 hours, dont you, Mr Tight Wad yourself.

Maybe you need to read some free-camping websites to discover what value travellers bring to the economies of the places they visit.

Ian87 and Harry30 like this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

The Y-man

craigc, TomC, Phantom and 1 other person like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hey, the OP seems to want to camp out in the one place. He didn't say anything about travel.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That's where my car got to!

10. The Y-man

I now have a new way to sell houses: "3 bedroom, 2 dump points...." :D

The Y-man

Westie likes this.
  11. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

If every renter started thinking this way, the investors'd be dead. :rolleyes:

A 5th wheel (whatever its called in Australia) is the solution. Hook it up to your 4wd and you are good to go.

@John_S Why even a motorhome ? Couldn't you sleep and live in a car and use public utilities ? After a week or so, you will have found a routine and you will be set. When I was relatively younger, I too wanted to live in a motorhome - but because parks were so expensive, I'd figured I'd just park up in a Walmart (USA). There were plenty of people who did it (I saw a few parked for months - even thought of knocking their door asking if they're looking for a roommate) - but the promiscuous part of me wouldn't let me.

12. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

I paid stamp duty for three investment properties, along with income tax, council rates, and GST.

Is this not enough tax?

I have 0 kids, no HECS and rarely use public healthcare

Angel likes this.
  13. Terry_w

Don't forget the GST, and all state levies on your motor home and its insurances

14. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

I was thinking a 6 metre bus with toilet and shower would be ideal as you aren't reliant on facilities and can park up anywhere... Also with the 6 metre ones can park in most normal size carparks...

5th wheel would be amazing... might have to increase the budget :)

15. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We've always made good capital gains on our PPOR's . They're been a key platform in our wealth creation .

Subdivided two , good timing ( planned ) and now a granny flat in the back yard .

Cliff

albanga likes this.
  16. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

I am thinking, why waste money on facilities at all ?

Does your work place have a shower ? People working for tech companies in SF/Bay area sleep in their cars all the time. This trend is yet to catch up here as generally most cities in Australia are still reasonably cheap to live in.

To save the hassle on everything, couldn't you just live/sleep at work ? In a previous life I and me mates have lived at work for weeks when delivering on extremely tight deadlines.

17. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Need to be self-contained for off the grid surf trips. Don't wanna be staying in busy campgrounds just for the facilities :)

Could be a good plan though, if times get tough. Live in a van and shower at the gym

Angel likes this.
  18. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Living in a minibus versus in a house is not really comparable. IMO, it's more a lifestyle choice than a financial choice.

If the primary motivation is $$$ then yes this is frugality on overdrive (pardon the pun).

IMO, Financial frugality is more about maintaining a certain living standard cheaper than the average Joe otherwise we would live in a cardboard box under a bridge for free & keep all those precious $$$.... sigh

I applaud those that live the dream on the open road as a lifestyle choice .... I'm not buying the concept of it being primarily a wealth creation strategy.

19. Terry_w

I think living in a car might be a bit on the extreme side of things.

Angel likes this.
  20. The Y-man

Frugality taken too far? :D Couldn't walk past this at Woolies last night......

The Y-man

[​IMG]