Front garden landscaping

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cimbom, 6th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Just wanting to get some ideas for landscaping a front garden (corner block) to be nice to look at but pretty low maintenance and not too expensive to do. It is more to add street appeal and a bit of value, I'm not really a gardener lol

I was initially thinking to do about one-third mulched (to left of mailbox in picture) and two-thirds lawn (along front length of block) with lots of plants in an existing garden bed on the left side of the house.

Now I'm just thinking to do all mulch with a path or stepping stones down the middle from the mailbox to the front step and assorted colourful native plants on both sides of the path. I'm not sure if the mulch would be too much for the size of the yard as there is a bit of a set back from the street.

The picture I have attached is a bit old - the state of the grass is similar with some larger plants near the house.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You have a nice tree and retaining wall to work with! Is that "grass" there in the photo? looks like dirt/concrete

You might need a grass expert for under the tree as it may be tough to grow? Maybe a garden bed at the base of the tree and mulch.

If you do mulch you need to prep under it as weeds will still make their way through over time. Doing the whole yard in mulch does make it a bit unusable. Why not mulch to the left around the tree and a hardy grass elsewhere

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

That was my initial idea. I was just thinking if we sold in the future and the buyer really wanted a lawn, they could plant it themselves but not sure how big of a turn off it would be for an average buyer.

The photo isn't that great. There is some grass but it's very patchy and not in the best condition so it would need to be completely redone if we wanted to have a lawn there

4. bob shovel

it could be a turn off. a crap lawn can bring a place down. or just use photoshop when selling to get people out there

5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I meant how big of a turn off the mulch with plants would be (compared to a lawn). I don't want to leave it as is, as it annoys me

6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of houses with just mulch or that crushed clay base and no grass in Canberra. There's also a lot of astro turf. Particularly in the new suburbs. The house we rented had AstroTurf and mulch. Our house had a fair bit of crushed clay around including the driveways when we bought it which we are slowly removing over time. I want grass.

Might be because I'm a Queenslander though. I've discussed it at work and people have been actively discouraging as they reckon you need to relay grass here every couple of years as it dies. We are still going grass when we get to the yard.

I don't think it will effect resale too much down here regardless of what you go with. Go with what you want.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Any chance we can get an overhead view with dimensions?

That's such a gorgeous front yard with the tree and characterful retaining wall, I can think of a thousand things I'd do!

8. bob shovel

It's a baron waste land!
    Those gardens look terrible. Every house looks a like a dodgey rental.

If you're laying turf put in a decent water system to look after it. With a rain water tank to save the hip pocket. Find some good local advice

Kassy likes this.
  9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@bob shovel I agree! Completely normal here though and people like it :eek:

10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I don't have dimensions but the frontage is 25m and it's about 400sqm overall if that helps? :p

11. bob shovel

google maps screenshot :)

Tom Rivera likes this.