Front entrance make over. Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Hngsie, 8th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hngsie

Hngsie Member

00FEC1FA-2D8B-4292-A53A-FE5484AB6DDF.jpeg 6B823A01-2363-4668-AFE4-A7BB73C3FA8A.jpeg Hi all, I just moved into the new house and the front entrance desperately needs a face lift. I am on a budget so will do everything on my own to minimise cost as much a possible.

I was thinking of scrapping the horrendous titles off then replace with new ones. I have never done this before. Could anyone please help what sort of titles/colour I would use? Much appreciated.

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new home.

Your bricks are similar colour to mine, and I don't like the colour of mine on their own. There are several colour schemes that will go well without changing the colour of the bricks. Before you do anything with the tiles, you will want to consider whether you intend keeping the exterior brickwork as it is or possibly altering it (render/brick paint) in the future. When selecting new tiles, consider the colour scheme to blend with the colour of the bricks. The fashionable greys all seem to look good with your colour of brickwork. I also have some maroon (that I am gradually replacing), charcoal/black and ocean-dark blue at my place. Take a look at the Colorbond palette.

It is easy enough to remove the old tiles on the patio and replace them with new tiles, but quite messy and time-consuming. I would pay the tradies who have the tools rather than do it myself, they will do quite a large area within their minimum charge and ensure the surface is scrubbed flat. I think it would be easiest to remove the stairs and replace them completely rather than re-tile them. Other people might offer a better opinion about the steps. In my experience, painting over tiles/concrete floors gets worn away quickly, but could be suitable for your household's use.

Another option could be to use a filler to seal and level over the tiles, then tile on top of the existing ones.

wylie likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd paint the doors white, hide that flower motif. Stairs... I'm no expert but my parents have a front not too dissimilar and they have 1970's tiles. Would like to know how to cover them up!

wylie likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd get rid of that balastrade, and deck right over the existing deck and steps.

I wouldn't retile - I think it'll be difficult to modernize it with tiles unless you're also doing something about the brick.

The front door needs replacing - or painted at a minimum - and I'd get rid of the urns and repot the other plants into something white/grey to brighten it up.

Have fun!

sqe and wylie like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That looks so much like my moth-in-law's front entrance that it is sort of spooky. But she thinks is looks fabulous. :eek:

All the above ideas are good. If you change the stairs, I'd go wider. Decking over the top sounds a nice easy solution.

sqe likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yes, I was also thinking decking the entire area and removing the balustrade.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

You meant scrapping off the tiles? Agree with others, tiling is a professional job and it can make or break the look.
    Since you said you are on a budget, how about just painting it for now? We did it with our pavers in the BBQ area and it lasted a good 2 years. Enough time for us to have a think of what we want done for the rest of the house. Or you might change the steps to timber steps....
    The door and handrail needs to be repainted at least.
    Wall lights can be updated.
    Dead yukka needs to go, and de-clutter the pots. I dont mind the urns if it tie in with the rest of the decor..

Have fun renovating and Congrats!

8. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I would just paint the door and surrounds. Paint the tiles with paving paint olus the rail.

That will last years with minimal cost. I wouldn't spend more money going over the tiles. Maybe later replce them, and the door etc.

9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

In short, it will be fine when you get rid of everything there:
    Light
    Urns
    Front door
    Old yukkas
    Tiles
    Handrail
    The good news is, it is all fairly inexpensive to do.

wylie likes this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Considering there is a raised threshold you might not need to take those tiles off, you might be able to tile over them.

I'd go with a concrete look tile but it needs to be a non slip outdoor rated one, especially for the stairs. Then I'd paint the door in a white or dark charcoal colour.

Angel and wylie like this.
  11. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Agree with angel. I always use colourbond colours for the exterior of my reno jobs.

The drop looks too big to remove the handrails so full width steps would be the go.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Welcome to the forum.
    With your post name and being new, I thought you might be related to Angel. But not if you live in Canberra :)

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Colorbond colours are the best :) I have a palette of Basalt, Shale Grey and Monument

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

PERSONALLY, agree with Westminster grey-polished-concrete-look-rectified-porcelain-tile-1.jpg

I would tile over those tiles with a contemporary non slip concrete tile and paint the door white along with the exterior bricks (optional - might be radical from a long term perspective). Would also go with a tropical look for the plants in some nice pots.

Tropical plants with a white backdrop look fantastic.

Last edited: 8th May, 2020
    Marg4000 and Jess Peletier like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It would be good to see the rest of the facade. Painting the bricks might be a good idea, but where do you start and stop? Whole facade, whole house?

16. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I would make the stairs wider, could take them around, no had rails and paint the door over in one colour so the pattern doesn't stand out.
    Later when you can afford render the brick to add appeal and value... just google some ideas you like.
    I like grey tones too, appeals to most.

upload_2020-5-8_22-33-18.png upload_2020-5-8_22-35-27.png upload_2020-5-8_22-37-7.png upload_2020-5-8_22-39-11.png

Archaon and wylie like this.
  17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Nothing looks worse than the front bricks rendered and the original brickwork left at the back and sides. I'm currently considering adding a decorative panel onto my front vertical section rather than changing all the brickwork.

18. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new home.

You will be best to choose between a full reno (probably too expensive at this stage), or a “good enough for now”.

I agree with the above suggestion to paint the doors all the same colour, and to paint the tiles with paving paint.

For now, not forever.

Gockie likes this.
  19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

How much of a budget are you on?

I really think the tiles are the bigget letdown in the whole presentation. Painting the front door and surrounds is a no brainer once you've decided on a new colour scheme, and I'm not really sure what to do with the railings. They're surprisingly expensive to replace.

I'm not a huge fan of painting flooring, but if you're looking for something to last a couple of years before you have a more permanent solution- then that could be the right option!

20. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Have a similar issue. Was thinking travertine tile over tile

Attached Files: