from Russia with love?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by balwoges, 27th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - he can't tell the truth as to why, and there is no real justifiable excuse otherwise ...

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Have they crossed the borders?

3. Noobieboy

After what Abbot done to outing during the G20, I bet the post of ambassador to Australia is like a career ending post. Is there a video to watch? Keen to see it.

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Would think so, SBS

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No - listening to experts, the main reasons they're there is:

a) no country can become a member of NATO if they have a border under dispute. Russia does not want Ukraine to join NATO - Ukraine and Georgia cannot join NATO despite desperate ambitions

b) Putin is trying on some aggression to try and make himself look tough against the big bad west, and retain power, in a country that is growing weary of his chest beating - Are Russians fed up with Vladimir Putin?

c) Russian oligarchs are desperate to get the west to the negotiating table and lock in contracts, as sanctions are hurting and Russia's main export is fossil fuels (more than 50%) - in a future where they know fossils will fade (although not yet). They're trying to get a pipeline run to Europe thru the Baltic Sea, but have been taken to international court to try and prevent it happening - Russia’s Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline dodged new U.S. sanctions, but it’s not home free yet

I am sure there are other reasons we're not aware of - but it's a multi-faceted standoff. However, doesn't hurt to remember that no "near peer" country genuinely wants to take on another near peer - they'll probably argy bargy, shirt front, push and shove with a few border skirmishes (and deaths), perhaps an accidental rocket fired with some hurried diplomacy following ... but can't see it coming to anything serious

wylie and Noobieboy like this.
  6. Noobieboy

Agree. I think that’s the main reason why Germany is so measured about it. Refusing to send life ammunition etc. They understand that it’s a symbiotic relationship. Plus I bet there is an election or something coming up in Russia so Putin is likely trying to shore up/ win right wing votes.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Putin shorts the markets then parks the tanks, makes bank, goes long, withdraws tanks. Grabs some trade some concessions along the way.

Wish I had a tank.

8. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

Remember a lot of Ukrainian population support Putin and Russia .. I remember the last conflict when Eastern Ukrainians were begging Putin to protect them from The NATO trained, equipped and sponsored Ukrainian army who were attacking them. But the Western media also reported that as a Russian invasion.

Objective journalism would interview citizens from the Russian loved East and not always the Pro European Western parts of Ukraine, but that wouldn't fit the narrative would it?

Noobieboy likes this.
  9. Noobieboy

An example of Kosovo and Crimea comes to my mind. It’s similar in my mind to the way Kosovo and Crimea were treated. Referendum of independence in Kosovo is totes legal. Yet referendum on independence in Crimea is illegal. Go figure.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Election would be just for show. We all know the outcome. ;):rolleyes:

Noobieboy likes this.
  11. Noobieboy

I also think that Putin is an astute social opinion engineer. He finds something that props his votes before election. He also presided over significant economic growth and restructuring of Russian economy.

It went from one of the poorest in Eastern Europe to one of the wealthiest nations.

… and sudden disappearance of opposition leaders helps. But that’s always a act of God of cause.

12. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

Have you been to Crimea? It's more Russian than Russia lol. I hardly heard anyone speak Ukrainian while I was visiting... After having spent time there, I would be confident in saying the far majority are pro-Russian and are supportive of being back part of Russia.

13. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I heard on a US podcast that Biden was selling energy to Germany in return for certain compliances being imposed on the German people. I will check the source and verify.

14. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Listened to the below 2 podcasts yesterday while walking the dogs. Well worth it.

The Economist-The Energy Weapon
    Money Talks: The energy weapon

Assessing the Russia-Ukraine Crisis: Bloggingheadstv

15. Noobieboy

Thanks for posting. I didn’t know about the massacre of Russian protesters in Odessa. I do know that Odessa is majority Russian speaking (even though as I’m aware majority of population is Jewish Russian speakers). Funny how our media never reported it.

16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I have heard this from different sources and yes you are likely correct.
    However, its sovereign territory belonging to another country. Just because the majority of its residents feel themselves russians does not give Russia rights to take it. They need to respect international law and sovereignty of other countries.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Quite sure its career ending post, same with Russian ambassador to NZ. no way back to revive career from that.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

.... and simply because a country shares the same language and holds the same traditions, doesn't mean it loses its own identity and musty beginner pay off that other country

Heck. Many countries spent the last few hundred years trying to toss the shackles of the British Empire, not willingly trying to rejoin it

Noobieboy and wylie like this.
  19. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

While the rest of the world is preoccupied, I think the time is right for Australia to annex NZ, and then immediately install their PM as our own.

datto, wylie, Simon Hampel and 3 others like this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think Mt Druitt should be an independent republican region with its own democratically elected Tzar.....datto the terrible.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia