From $10K in Cash to $3.3M Portfolio

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Ko Ko Naing, 13th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Very inspiring, absolutely love these kind of posts. We all have different journeys and yours is one that is great to see someone buying in regionals and really knowing an area.

Do Androids Dream likes this.
  2. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Thanks! That's what I love about Australia. Regionals have their own economy. Once large enough, they don't need to depend very much on capital cities anymore. Especially with government still encouraging overseas migrants to live in regionals, I still feel positive about population growth and economy growth in regionals. But, of course, COVID19 will more or less affect the growth in every part of Australia.

3. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Thanks for being so open in sharing:)

4. MGVP

MGVP Member

Thanks for Sharing your story with detailed summary of your journey.

5. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

Hi

can i ask what your income is and what your exit strategy is?

David_SYD likes this.
  6. Harriet

Harriet Member

Great read Ko Ko! Thank you for sharing

7. KingBendtner

KingBendtner Well-Known Member

@Ko Ko Naing great read, thanks for sharing your journey. Such an inspiring story.
    I quietly follow all your tips and tricks on the Ballarat market and has recently purchased myself.
    Thank you!

8. AngelicaS

AngelicaS Active Member

Well done. Congratulations

I am curious to know how your properties in Crestmead are going?
    I also own a high set property there and find that the council rates are extremely expensive. We also had a lot of bad luck with tenants defaulting on rent and we already had two insurance claims since buying the property in 2016.

9. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Nice one mate! I enjoyed reading this.
    To others, please post your journey too with the pros cons per properly similar to above as it's very useful to see different flavours or property investing and how others have done it. At some stage I will aim to post mine too.

10. Ko Ko Naing

Thanks, all! :)

Recently, one of the properties there had been through almost 1.5 months vacancy period because of this virus situation. Before that, both properties have been all tenanted consistently. Late rent payment here and there, but they all paid up eventually.

11. Chotu

Chotu Well-Known Member

Huh? He is trying to motivate ppl!

12. David_91

David_91 Member

@Ko Ko Naing
    I know it's a bit personal but is there any chance you could give a quick overview of how you've set-up your finances? Up to you on how much detail you might want to give but things like what loan sizes (LVR), how much cash, borrowed vs equity used. I think you know what I mean - Just would be interesting to see.

13. David_91

David_91 Member

@Ko Ko Naing
    And, do you think this strategy is still possible now? Lending has tighten in recent years. Or was this only possible when you could borrow money like it was in fashion? I find with now, I can't borrow any more without income increases, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

14. Ko Ko Naing

Initially, a few properties were on 88% LVR, as I aggressively expanded my portfolio. As Ballarat grew value over the past few years and a few properties went through some renovations, the LVR came down quite a bit.

Not sure if it'd be useful for others, but here you go:
    PPOR at 80%
    IP1 at 67%
    IP2 at 59%
    IP3 at 77%
    IP4 at 75%
    IP5 at 78%
    IP6 at 61%
    IP7 at 80%

With enough servicing and savings/equity, this is still possible. Yes, with tighten lending environment, it's harder.

Utopia24 and ALT like this.
  15. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

That's interesting. Most of my property purchases were on 95% LVR or more (I borrow as much as I can from the bank, and limit money I put down).

Our of interest, as you expand your portfolio, does it make more sense to put more money down (i.e. fund more yourself instead of bank), or the other way around? What strategies have you all used for your portfolios, and does it make a difference?

16. pattoman

pattoman Well-Known Member

Slightly misleading unless you've paid off all of them. Otherwise it's like saying you qualified for a 3.3M loan.

Vertigo likes this.
  17. Ko Ko Naing

For me, I usually use bank's money to leverage, as I expand my portfolio, up to 90% LVR including LMI. I use equity from properties as much as I can to fund further purchases, as I wanted to keep my savings as buffer for rainy days. Of course, for my PPOR, I had to use my own savings for deposit and other purchasing cost.

18. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Absolutely! This is the "Investor show case" sub-forum too. I guess some people will always see the glass half-empty. The amount of extremely valuable information about Ballarat he's given out to people for FREE is fantastic. Make the most of it, don't poke holes.

Love your work @Ko Ko Naing.

Kushanda, craigc and Michael_X like this.
  19. Danielac

Danielac Member

Wow great story! Inspiring stuff.

I bought a block of land in Clyde North two years ago (first ever property purchase). Just started building 6 months ago and got handed the keys last week to it hopefully tenants are found soon. 140K equity position its temping to go buy a nice car but I think I'll follow in your footsteps instead and not stray. Can get overwhelming though when deciding upon a strategy, where to buy next etc.

Only discovered this website today so I'll be going through a few years worth of posts from yourself and others !

Do Androids Dream and lixas4 like this.
  20. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hard but not impossible, and you can obviously help people build a decent portfolio, more so than most brokers, and certainly retail banking.

ta

rolf

Ko Ko Naing likes this.