NSW Friable Asbestos - Walk away?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by sl138, 12th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sl138

sl138 Member

Hey guys,

We're currently looking at an apartment in Sydney which was built mid 1980s. We'd like to purchase it, however we'd really need to renovate the place in order to live in it. The strata report says there is friable asbestos in the insulation material found in "All levels interior". The apartment has double brick walls, so I don't think there's any asbestos in the walls, but we'd like to redo the entire bathroom as well as take out the carpet and put down floorboards. There are a couple of shelves drilled into the walls as well, which we'd like to remove at some point. Looking at other lots in the complex, plenty of people have completely re-done their homes, however a few friends are telling us to walk away.
    Is there any way to assess what kind of additional costs we'd be running in to doing the renovations, or would we have to have it inspected?
    Would love to hear all your thoughts

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Speak with the neighbours!
    They can be very helpful and give you a place to start looking.
    How did they manage things?
    Where did they start?
    What did they do?
    I hope this helps

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Talk to an asbestos removal company.

I recall when our son's asbestos was removed that if the asbestos was friable, it would involve a negative pressure tent being set up (or something like that), air monitored, paying someone from somewhere (Gov Dept?) to be there while it happened to supervise. I'm sure it was "friable" they were talking about but it was several years ago now. Turned out not to be the super bad type, so it was just removed by the asbestos guys without the extra costs involved had it been the other type.

I have a memory the removal from much of the old house was about $10k but had the downstairs area been the different type, it was maybe another $10/15k to get it out. Numbers are fuzzy but it was a fair chunk more if the test showed it to be super bad.

Long story short... get in an asbestos removal company who will give you your answer.