freestanding cooktop with oven or builtin to the bench/shelf

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tompropdev, 11th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tompropdev

Tompropdev Active Member

hello all, I am asking a lot of questions on this forum as i am in the process of construction design.

want to check what are the pros and cons of 'freestanding cooktop with oven' (something like https://pahconstruction.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Untitled-design-1.png or Login • Instagram) vs 'builtin cooktop to the kitchen bench and oven underneath in shelf' (something like Login • Instagram). cooking will be gas.

I currently use freestanding cooktop with oven. main issue is food stucked on sides but not sure if builtin to the kitchen bench/shelf will have the same issue.
    also cost wise which will be less?

also need advise on rangehood. canopy or built in the shelf? we cook a lot, so want a rangehood which has good suction power, not sure if built in are not as good as canopy ones.

thank you

Last edited: 11th Sep, 2021
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

There are pros and cons to both and sometimes it does come down to decorating style

I find that freestanding are cheaper not only for the appliance but also in terms of cabinetry and none needed, no stone cut out etc etc

Built in rangehoods can be as good, if not better especially if you upgrade and go for a good brand and not just a package deal. If you go with a built in one, make sure it's not a recirculating one and compare the noise levels and suction power. Schweigen are a very good brand but if you're budget doesn't go that far then just get the best you can.

If you do a lot of stop top cooking and already having an issue with food stuck on sides then the under bench oven and separate hotplate may suit you better. You also then have a choice to have the hot plate and a double wall oven or something like that

The Y-man likes this.
  3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I have always preferred a separate cook top with a stacked oven and microwave nearby. That way you can actually see what is cooking in the oven and the microwave doesn't take up bench space. Absolutely hate the microwave being tucked in under the benchtop.