Freedom Property Investors

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by lightbringer, 3rd Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

I have a feeling they do get back end rebates from developers and from what I've seen and heard the product they offer in most cases is expensive for what it is.

2. Machado168

Machado168 New Member

I went on one of their free property tours to Brisbane but didn't end up buying a property.
    It seems like they do their research well, identifying areas that have good future growth potential.

However as they are not buyers agents and you are not paying for their services, somebody is and in this case it's the developer. As some of the posts mentioned they approach developers and try to negotiate group deals (small discounts, extra inclusions such as appliances, blinds upgrades etc) which (according to them) are exclusive and not available to the general public.

The areas that they recommend are backed by 3rd party data however the product that they are ultimately selling to you may or may not be the best product to suit your strategy as everyone's circumstances are different and at different stages of investment.

They seem to get a lot of repeat customers which means it must be working for some of them, but you just have to do your own due diligence and decide whether the product is right for you.

You are not going to fail miserably by investing with them but perhaps you could do better (or worse).

megsfan and allanh like this.
  3. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Hi Joe Is A Gun

Scott Kuru here CEO and Founder of Freedom Property

this so called 50,000 claim is utterly false and defamatory in nature

all our property deals are independently valued by a bank valuation which is conducted by the bank not us and your assertions that we do not get the best deals and prices inclusions for our 1,530 members at the time of writing is false, misleading and defamatory and totally incorrect

now many so called property people are extremely jealous of the size and power of our community.

the fact we get the best deal. Guarantee the cashflow and have more members doing multiple properties because of our strategies than anyone else really does hurt the feelings of our so called competitors. Don’t get me wrong there are a few good people out there however because they do not have our community size and a real data scientist and team behind them, they simply cannot get the results that we do.

I take it you are a competitor using some strange internet name in an unjust and unlawful attempt to discredit the power of what we achieve everyday for our members

Mr.kay likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hi Scott, is it true that you get paid by the developer and not by the people you are "advising" ?

How much do you get paid for each property that your "members" purchase? Who pays you this money?

Perhaps if you explained your business model, we would understand more about what it is you are doing?

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2020
    Ian87, megsfan, Beano and 8 others like this.
  5. jane_c

jane_c Active Member

I attended one of their webinars, which was enough. The 'founders' are Liana and Scott. From what I remember, the presentation wasn't anything earth shattering.
    The same spiel was constantly used by Scott - about Liana being an actuary and acheiving a multi million portfolio. As for him, I was asking too many questions for his liking - questions he couldn't answer. He told me I was asking dumb questions and he didn't want anyone like me on his team. A few of the audience members mentioned how rude it was and he should apologise. So I left - thank god. I have asked those same questions of BA's and other professionals and they have been more than happy to answer all my queries.
    I have to admit they do a great pitch and in the end you have to pay a membership fee of $3K. They offer 7 year rental guarantees on their properties and claim you can extend those guarantees.
    They must collect membership fees to help them acquire more properties but really, I'm still not sure what they do!
    Stay away

Beano, Dave Radelaide and dman100 like this.
  6. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Hello Simon,

Appreciate your interest in what we do and thanks for an opportunity to clarify what we do and how we help our Members.

Yes we do get paid from land owners, builders, developers, banks, financiers and other service providers for products and services that are requested by our Members.

We have over 1,530 paying members in our community, all are aware of our business model.

How we get paid is different depending on the service. Some times there is a realestate agent payment that we receive, and other times there is fee for service or fee for advice only.

Different Members have different needs.

All are aware of how we operate. What our Members want are results, and we get results and that's why the majority of our community growth has been through referral, word of mouth and our Members ability and desire to do multiple property deals with us.

Some want advice, some want a "done for you service", others only want a strategy, some want to handle property acquisition amongst many other services.

Ultimately our Members are getting results and any assertions that they are not are simply false.

7. Simon Hampel

Do you ever take a real estate agent payment as well as a fee for service or a fee for advice from the same person for the same purchase?

ie. do you ever have someone pay you for advice and then they subsequently purchase a property for which you receive a real estate agent payment (commission) ?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  8. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Hi Simon,

Under Australian law its not lawful to take a buyers agent and receive a commission.

Our live stream which runs weekly is a good source to find out how we work, how the services work and why we have 50 to 60 new members joining weekly.

Ive also asked some of our community to get involved here at Property Chat to share the outcomes we achieve for our clients.

I do sense in your line of questioning that you have a strong bias and / or presupposition that we "do the wrong thing" and / or we do not achieve positive outcomes for our Members.

Here is a sample video of just some of our members:

Our membership predominantly consists of high income earners, smart, savvy and educated investors that logically and consciously choose to become members and work with us.

Some, even yourself may have bias towards "the way" or the "method" we approach property and financial freedom, however, ultimately when we view results and outcomes we have a proven method that works and a very happy and satisfied membership and investment community.

Hope this helps to change any pre conceived notions or ideas you or your subscribers may have about me, and our Members.

9. Simon Hampel

That's exactly the point I was trying to make and I'm glad you brought it up.

It doesn't really matter what your "results" are if you are doing the wrong thing to achieve them - to be clear: I am not suggesting you are doing the wrong thing - I'm just making a general point.

Walking that fine line between acting on both the seller side and the buyer side - just not at the same time - is fraught with danger in my opinion and the same issues appear in regular real estate agencies who also operate a buyers agent division.

For the benefit of other people reading this thread - here are some articles from REBAA around the dangers of having real estate agencies who operate for both vendors and for purchasers:
    To be clear: to be best of my knowledge, it is not currently illegal to have an agency operating on both sides of the street so to speak, provided that they are not acting for both the vendor and the purchaser in the same transaction.

I'm simply urging caution.

Yes, we are very cynical here because there are a lot of "property advisories" out there pretending to act in the best interest of their clients, while actually just selling off the plan stock from developers and getting paid commissions to do so. We hear a lot of stories about people who have been left worse off because of the tainted or inappropriate "advice" they received.

While you might be truly different from some of these other companies - we do generally apply the "duck test" to such operations. We encourage our members to be sceptical about anyone promising great results that you don't have to pay for - to make sure they do their research and due diligence and to completely understand who is getting paid and how.

Transparency is key to understanding how to judge the authenticity and potential biases in the advice you receive. The fact that you've answered my questions directly helps here - thanks.

To be clear - I welcome anyone who is here to contribute to the community and to discuss property investing in all its forms. However, we are not interested in people who are only here to shill for a company and we have strict policies in place to deal with such activity.

I would refer you to rule #17: Forum Rules - PropertyChat "No sock-puppetry or astro turfing" - please be mindful of this.

It would be great if you were to continue posting about general matters regarding real estate investing - I'm sure you have plenty of value to add to our community.

qak, Bill96, wanderer_87 and 4 others like this.
  10. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Thanks Simon for the open and transparent response.

I really do appreciate the opportunity to safeguard our Members, our community, the 65 good people within my organisation who work tirelessly to support positive Member outcomes, and my family who also work within our company.

Openness and honesty are very important to me and are core principles that have and continue to guide my life.

I can see you are on the back foot when assessing so called "property" companies. I understand because during my almost 2 decade journey as an investor and now running my community I have seen it all and whilst many are good I see some not so good as well.

I wanted to make some points on off the plan.

It's been discussed here that off the plan is automatically a losing a strategy or somehow a "rip off".

That's not my experience.

My co-founder for example used off the plan strategies to secure 8 properties in Sydney over 2012 and 2013 and this exponentially sky rocketed her wealth.

I recently purchased a block of land that during the time until settlement the land value appreciated by over $80,000.

I've used research and astute and wise investing to repeat that a few times over.

Now our community are not solely focussed on off the plan however it is a strategy that carries some risk and for some investors it can be a clever and rewarding strategy.

The reason I have chosen to engage with the community here is that there are false and defamatory comments here about me, my 65 staff, and our Members.

They are with out basis, they cite no sources, and they are from people with no experience with us as Members and have not referenced a real and true Member of our community and I find that in total opposition to the values espoused here of HONESTY, TRANSPARENCY, INTEGRITY.

They are not even made by someone with a real name.

I do really appreciate the opportunity here to share truth and light on the matter and I would look forward to being a positive contributor to this community if in fact this community does actually live these values.

Regarding defamatory falsehoods I'll reserve my rights for now.

People have a right to raise questions, however making false claims against the good people of my organisation, my family and our Members is without warrant.

11. Simon Hampel

It might be some people's opinion that it it "automatically a losing strategy" - but I feel that the general consensus around here (with regard to the many horror stories that we hear from people who have NOT made money from buying off the plan) - is that signing a contract to buy a property that has not yet been completed (or even started!!) introduces a large number of risks that cannot be adequately managed.

That's not to say that it can't work - but there are so many examples of situations where people have come out worse off because of events that were specific to the off-the-plan purchasing process and would not have happened if they had invested in an established property, that we urge caution.

Anyone who suggests that off the plan is the only way to make money in real estate is (in our opinion) likely not acting in the best interests of the people they are advising. Anyone who does not adequately explain the risks involved in the contracts signed for off-the-plan purchases or does not insist on purchasers obtaining truly independent legal advice about the contracts they are signing - is not acting in the best interests of the people they are advising.

There are plenty of examples of off the plan contracts which leave the developer with all the power and the purchaser with virtually none. None of this is an issue with established property.

Again, this is not to say that off the plan purchases can never work - it's about risk management.

To be clear: these are general comments and not specifically related to you or your company.

That's great that you have the knowledge and skills to do so. It's like any strategy - if you actually know what you are doing, you can make it work and manage the risks. If you don't, then it is a minefield for new players who are much more likely to have an adverse outcome. That is our concern about off the plan - not that it can never work, just that for people who don't understand the risks or how to manage them, it is not a sound strategy.

There are lots of organisations out there which are acting as "property advisors" who are in reality just marketing arms for property developers. We reserve the right to be sceptical or even down-right suspicious about organisations who take commissions from developers while pretending to be anything other than a real estate sales agency acting for the vendor. To be clear: I am not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong - just explaining why we are so cynical.

It is the opinion of many people that taking commissions from developers should actually be made illegal for anything other than a real estate sales agency who clearly only represents the vendor. Similarly, many people feel that property advice should be treated the same way as financial advice and heavily regulated to remove the payment of commissions completely - fee for service only, to ensure that the advice is completely independent. To be clear: this is a general comment and not targeted at you or your organisation specifically.

That's great. If you are not only promoting off the plan property, then that automatically puts you in a different category to many companies we get asked about on this site. Advice can only be independent if it is driven by the needs of the person seeking the advice, not by the stock that you have available to sell.

I'm also glad that you mention the risk - as I've already identified, this is the main reason we urge caution.

I'm glad you have chosen to do so - engaging with the community and answering questions and correcting misinformation is in my opinion, the best way to change opinions.

If there are posts you feel are defamatory, please use the report function to explain why you feel they are defamatory, and I'll assess them. It is against our forum rules to post defamatory comments.

12. Simon Hampel

So how much would you typically earn from a developer?

A lot of the comments made in this thread are based on assumptions because people don't understand your business model.

Perhaps you can explain how your group purchases work? How do you put together a deal? How does it work for the investors? How do you get paid and how much? We want specifics, not marketing spin. We are here to learn about property investment - the details matter.

Perhaps run the numbers of a case study for us - including fees paid, commissions earned, deposits required, time frames, etc ??

A couple of other questions I'm curious about: do you facilitate loans for your members who purchase in your group buys? Does your organisation provide any legal advice to your members? What other services do you provide in-house?

Dave Radelaide and Lindsay_W like this.
  13. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Hi Simon,

For established property we have research, inspection, due diligence report and negotiation services that can range from $12,000 to $45,000 per deal.

For some brand new property we remove the traditional realestate agent that represents the seller and we negotiate a deal on behalf of our community and realestate agent payments can range typically range from 1% to 4.5% nothing in the range that has been discussed in this thread.

Our complete list of services including taxation advice, legal advice, financial planner, lending etc is discussed at our Live stream.

You are welcome to join one of our sessions.

Virtual Live | Freedom Through Property

Regarding the proportion of our members that choose off the plan strategy it is not my experience on over a decade for any issues.

Infact, I myself and NONE of our members have experienced any issues or problems with the strategy. The opposite is true, it has been a very successful strategy.

I think sometimes that misinformation, fake guru's, people with no results, trolls in chat groups and social media can warp and misrepresent good honest strategies and good honest people.

I take a stand against such people that see and think the worst in others, level judgement without facts and research. I also take a stand against ignorance when it comes to wealth creation, property and financial freedom.

Not enough aussies ever reach financial freedom, mostly due to misinformation and faulty strategies and bad decision making.

If you would like to know more, meet our staff, meet our members and clients you are welcome to visit our offices.

National HQ is based in Barangaroo Sydney, and my mobile is 0426 828 131.

Simon, for the record, yes there are complete *******s in this industry, like any industry.

Id ask you as forum manager to ensure that reputations are not falsely tarnished or degraded.

I also challenge the mindset and the false belief that because you get paid for something that means you are automatically a bad person, doing the wrong thing, or want to rip people off.

Is a doctor that takes payment for surgery a rip off?

Is the sales person at JB Hifi that helps you with your new laptop a rip off?

Is the Forum owner who gets paid for advertising a rip off?

Is the gym owner who makes profit for providing a gym owner a rip off?

This thinking is faulty logic and leads to mediocre results in finances and life.

I trust this clears up your understanding of what we do. Any further enquires, please watch the live stream and you are welcome to attend our offices.

In the final analysis, results matter.

Our Members are happy, we achieve results, we have strong life long bonds and friendships with our Members and this is what matters.

jared7825 likes this.
  14. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Can you explain how OTP strategy is better than buying existing?
    Do you have any examples where OTP has outperformed the established properties in the same suburb and similar spec, in regard to capital growth?

There is good reason for people to be skeptical, look at how many companies like yours have come and gone over the years, leaving poor financial outcomes in their wake and tarnishing the whole industry. All the while the members/clients were singing the praises of those companies, even defending them to the death. Not saying your company is going down the same path, just providing some context as you keep referring back to your happy clients/members, which is great but often meaningless in regard to decision making in my opinion.

15. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Hi Lindsay,

What specific companies are you referring to?

What are their names and who are the specific people who were damaged?

I cannot speak for others, however, we have been around for 8 years and we have ZERO issues so please do not bucket me up with a cloudy bucket of "companies like mine"

Im not even sure I know what that means sorry

Please fact check before any negative assertions upon me, my good name, our companies and staff good names, or assertions that our Members are somehow idiots

16. Simon Hampel

I was expecting to spend 10 seconds reading your summary rather than needing to sit through your sales pitch to have questions answered.

The fact is that we don't only hear about the carefully curated success stories - we also hear about all of the horror stories about advice that was inappropriate, about strategies that didn't work, about people who did get ripped off or who had adverse outcomes.

We do not apologise for being sceptical or even cynical - it is not up to us to have "faith" that companies are doing the right thing it is up to them to prove their legitimacy - especially when accepting commission payments.

You should not take this as a threat - if anything it presents a huge opportunity for those people who are genuinely doing the right thing and producing outstanding results for their clients in an ethical and transparent manner, to differentiate themselves from the cowboys.

Not what we are talking about at all.

This site is full of investors who use independent buyers agents, property managers, fee-for-service financial advisors, solicitors, accountants, tax advisors. They willingly pay for advice - but they expect fully independent advice that isn't tainted by commissions they receive.

Any time the advice received can be questioned because of the benefits to the person giving the advice - then the advice should be examined and questioned.

A doctor advising people to undertake unnecessary surgery is indeed a ripoff. A doctor recommending consultations or services from other parties who pay them a commission or referral fee for doing so, is problematic and should be questioned. The advice needs to be independent of the financial rewards for giving it. Before undertaking major and expensive surgery - getting a second opinion is generally a wise course of action.

Anyone asking a sales person in JB Hifi for advice is getting what they deserve. They are a sales person - it is their job to sell you something. They may indeed be ripping you off by selling you something you don't need. Buyer beware. Not the same thing as investing in real estate though - the risk profile is completely different.

A forum owner who gets paid for advertising on a fee-for-service basis is not a rip off. Someone who accepts commission payments for making recommendations is entering a grey area where questions deserve to be asked - especially when it comes to high value / high risk items such as real estate.

Me recommending someone buy a book because I get a few dollars commission if you do is hardly an issue (provided that I declare my interest). Me recommending that someone buy a property because I get tens of thousands of dollars in commission - is a huge problem (and also illegal).

Adverts that are clearly labelled as such cannot be construed as advice - indeed, there are strict rules about what can be said in adverts by financial services companies who come under ASIC's oversight.

A gym owner who provides a service for which people choose to pay is not in any way related to what we are discussing.

If the people who are giving you advice are incentivised to adjust their advice based on the payments they will receive from people other than the person who is receiving the advice - then this is a huge problem and needs to be weighed carefully.

Not all advice of this nature is necessarily problematic - it very much does come down to the circumstances and nature of the advice and the potential for adverse outcomes based on tainted advice. We had an entire royal commission into the financial advice industry based around this very matter.

Mortgage brokers are a case in point. Yes, they are paid a commission - but the loans they are recommending are largely commoditised and the costs (other than fluctuating interest rates) are well known in advance - there is a huge amount of transparency involved. There is never a promise of a financial reward from a mortgage broker - they are selling you a loan, not an investment property. That's not to say that some brokers don't recommend bad loans - but the fact that brokers in general are paid commissions is less of an issue to me than from other service providers who are not selling commodity products.

So no, being paid for something does mean you are automatically a bad person. People deserve to get paid for the work they do. However, advice and commissions are a troublesome pairing and the general public quite often don't understand that nothing ever comes for free. It's not always a problem, but it is a problem often enough that we urge caution and education.

Our goal on this site is to educate people. A large part of that is educating people about risk. Choosing the right advisers and understanding how to measure the advice people receive is an important aspect.

Again - this is all discussion of a general nature and not specifically related to you or your business.

Last edited: 20th Aug, 2020
  17. Simon Hampel

Just so I understand how it works ... let's use a hypothetical example:

You arrange a group purchase where, say, 5 people are buying a block of off the plan units (is there a minimum number of people you have in a group??)

Each unit is worth something like $800,000 after discount. You receive a real estate agent payment (commission!) of between 1% and 4.5% of each of these amounts.

So your company would receive commission payments of between 5 x $800,000 * 1% = $40,000 and 5 x $800,000 * 4.5% = $180,000 for this deal? Based on this hypothetical example, you would be receiving between $40,000 and $180,000 per deal - is that correct?

megsfan, Dave Radelaide, Has and 2 others like this.
  18. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

There are many, most recent one off the top of my head is Members Alliance - who was damaged, their customers.
    My apologies, I should have said companies that offered similar services to yours, but are not identical ie. Wealth Creation companies - I understand not all wealth creation companies are the same, there's good and bad eggs in any industry that's for sure but what I was saying is that it does explain why people are skeptical which was my point. It's a shame those bad eggs taint a whole industry. I never said anything about your good name, your company or staff nor did I assert that your members were idiots - if that's the way you want to interpret it that's on you. Simply pointing out that happy clients are not the most reliable indicator of whether something is worth getting on board with.

My main question was to see an example of OTP vs existing - would be great if you could answer as I honestly want to know, you could say I'm an OTP Skeptic.

Last edited: 20th Aug, 2020
    megsfan likes this.
  19. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Hi Lindsay,

Well first off let me apologise I am a little disheartened and hurt by the way Simon, the founder of this chat group, has undeservedly targeted me and my team with attempts to lay snares, inaccuracies and quite frankly, incorrect advice.

Regarding off the plan.

1. All property at some point was off the plan, even the established properties that now exist were once brand new and off the plan

2. Any that did an off the plan property in Kellyville in Sydney, or Oran Park in Sydney more recently, or say for example Mount Annan in Sydneys west during the last property cycle more than doubled their money using off the plan

3. A recent example of mine I purchased an off the plan house and land package in Eynesbury in Melbourne in 2017, the land has since appreciated by more than $80,000, I received a $15,000 discount on the home build as we were buying as a group, I also negotiated a $5,000 rebate on the land, in addition, I negotiated a 10 year rental guarantee with a locked in gross yield of 4% over 10 years meaning the property is approximately $6,000 per year positive cashflow for me every year I hold it.

So what part of that is there to be skeptical about ?

There risks if you do off the plan incorrectly, if you know how there is very little risk in my opinion, and having been personally involved in hundreds of such actions Ive only seen positive outcomes.

Property makes money, when done right. It's that simple.

Now I advocate new and established.

Established properties carry the following risks

1. Buyer beware - there is no warranty, once you buy it, its yours as is. With brand new you get warranties, some can go as long as 20 years. I've personally been involved with horror stories with established property. One of my properties for example passed the builders inspection, but later it was found that the property had rot in the foundations and I had a $25,000 bill to repair that.

2. The cashflow is typically less. Why? firstly the rental yield on established is typically 10% to 25% less on established in areas where there is a choice between new and old. Why? renters love new property its that simple. Also there is very little depreciation and tax benefits on old.

3. Maintenance costs and renovations can run into tens of thousands with establised.

However,

The question is never new vs old as Simon points out. That's faulty logic and incorrect thinking.

It's all about the merits of the individual deal.

Assess the deal, and based on your goals and situation make an investment decision based on the deals merits.

The main things to look for in the deal are:

1. Long term capital growth rate potential
    2. Short term equity creation potential
    3. Tax deductions available
    4. Cashflow
    5. Manufactured growth opportunities
    6. Personal risk versus the upsides
    7. Your ability to do the deal and make it successful ie: Time available, skill needed, funds available, cashflow risk

I trust this helps

Scott

20. Scott Kuru

Scott Kuru Member

Hi Simon,

For example, if we help 1,000 members source and negotiate a property with:

a. Positive cashflow
    b. Instant equity opportunities
    c. long term capital growth potential
    d. and other opportunities such as manufactured growth opportunities

and our fee is $12,000 per property deal, then we would make 1,000 x $12,000.

if the traditional realestate agent is removed from the deal then there is a possibility for us to not charge the member an instead take the realestate agents fee on the deal, meaning our Member can have more funds and cash available for investing.

Ive answered all your questions.

May I please ask you:

What results do you have for yourself and others that qualifies you to give advice on property?

You have sponsored content here on your site, how much money do you make from that?

Do you have other businesses that promote or sell property services, advice, courses, sales, finance etc?

Do you receive payments, incentives, bonuses, fees etc from sponsors and or advertisers that would have a vested interest in asserting falsehoods and misleading generalisations on specific property strategies?

Do you receive payments, incentives, bonuses, fees etc from sponsors and or advertisers that would benefit from disparaging comments made about their competitors?

Thanks Simon,