Free money

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Darren, 15th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Twice this month I've found $100 left in the slot in a ANZ ATM, people must be to busy to wait for the cash to come out.
    The first time I found the owner searching for her money around 20 metres from the machine, she alsIo left her ATM card in the machine so I reunited her with the cash and her card.
    Today I went to the ATM and the $100 was just waiting to be picked up, after looking and waiting for 15 to 20 mins at the ATM for someone to come back looking for the money nothing, so I invested into a few investment books.
    What would you do in this situation?

Perthguy and Terry_w like this.
  2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

if wonder if people in Uganda forget cash in the ATM?

ellejay likes this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Umm, take it into the bank, where they can presumably track who owns the money.

Joynz and Darren like this.
  4. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Free standing ATM not attached to the bank.

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Record the time you found the money, and I'm sure whatever bank or owner of the ATM can figure it out.

6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Hard to say, on a public forum on the Internet, where everything is recorded forever, and may be recorded and used against you in another forum that you never contemplated.

Hmmm, $100, just hanging out of an ATM, just not sure.

And at Christmas, and all.

And @datto could do with help with a deposit on a new set of mags for his Commodore...

And there are a new set of Crosswords scratchies just released...

And a Chris Waller horse called Schnitzel Something is running at Randwick or Rosehill is running on Saturday...

Perhaps ask all passers-bye if this is their money?

Can't decide....

datto likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Darren! I'm gonna start hanging out with you mate. You have the knack of making money appear out of ATMs.

I'll show you what to do in these terrible situations when money magically appears in a machine in front of you lol. "Oh, the dilemma" lol

Ted Varrick and Darren like this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's never happened to me. However I was once given half a note. There was no way that the other half of the note would extricate itself from the machine. So I took my half note and presented it to the bank during business hours to get a full note. Which sort of defeated the reason for going to the ATM.

Bayview likes this.
  9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

$100 doesn't sound like a lot of money to folks that are investing in property, but that particular $100 could have been the grocery money and indeed the only money available to the family that withdrew it. (Or it could be pension money of an elderly person.) I'd return it to the bank so they could determine who owns it. ATMS at branches have cameras monitoring them - so the video footage could be leveraged if needs be.

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2016
    Joynz, Ouchmyknees and Darren like this.
  10. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the plastic notes stick together. I was waiting at the ATM and someone only got $50 instead of 2 x $50. I told him to wait while I withdrew cash and sure enough I was able to hand over the extra note as it came with my withdrawal.

Joynz, JacM and Darren like this.
  11. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I remember one glorious day many years ago when someone stacked the $20s in the $50s slot and vice versa at the CBA RMIT University bank ATM in Melbourne. The first student came along to make a $20 withdrawal, and $50 came out. Just like magic. Yet the statement slip indicated that the account balance had only been debited by an amount of $20. They repeated the exercise, and sure enough, it happened again. Needless to say, word got around, a queue of students built, and accounts were emptied. The pub across the road was very busy that day.

From memory the CBA asked people to return the money, the people declined, it went to court or Consumer Affairs or something and the CBA lost the battle.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I always count the notes that come out of the ATM.
    At the same time, I always wonder what I would do if it came up short!
    Marg

13. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Do ATMs dispense $100 notes?

14. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

I remember this happened at a ATM at a petrol station. I probably wouldn't have the stones to unload my account though lol

JacM likes this.