Free LED replacement program

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ATANG, 28th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Has anyone done the free LED replacement program in Victoria? How does it work? Any contact number can refer? Thanks!

Redwing likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I keep meaning to call any one of the 5 or so sparkies who have left messages in my letterbox.
    From what I can figure, the freebies will be quite a low wattage (read "not that bright") ones.

The Y-man

3. mimosa

mimosa Well-Known Member

You can find more info about the scheme here:
    Energy Saver Incentive | More ways to save | Switch On Victoria
    How to replace 12 volt halogen downlights - Sustainability Victoria - Sustainability Victoria

Unfortunately, you have to go through a 'participating business' and can't just purchase the globes of your choosing, replace them yourself, and then claim a rebate.

Many of the participating businesses have a 'fly-by-night' or 'dodgy' feel about them. Lots of people posting their experience over at Whirlpool.

As Y-man says, the freebies may not be powerful enough to provide the same light output as your existing halogens. Some may also be poor quality and/or the provider may try to upsell globes at inflated prices. If the provider decided the globes aren't compatible with your existing transformers (drivers) you will also have to pay for replacement transformers.

The primsal 6W globes provided by 'Easy being green' seemed to have the most favorable feedback on Whirlpool. Not everyone happy, but enough that I decided to give them a go on the proviso they will give me back my halogens if I am not happy.

I called easybeinggreen.com/ yesterday. They took my contact details and I am now waiting for a callback from a 'participating electrician in your area'. They said this could take anything from a few days to a few weeks.

The Y-man and SerenityNow like this.
  4. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

If lighting accounts for on average 5% of household electricity consumption.

How much money can one expect to save by replacing a light bulb ?

5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I have no idea but with numerous down lights which always needed replacing I haven't had to replace a light bulb in over 2 years.

Hanison likes this.
  6. mimosa

mimosa Well-Known Member

Let's do the calcs. I pay 21.5 c/kWh. A Philips 12v 5.5W LED downlight has about the same apparent light output as a Philips 12v 50W halogen downlight. 44.5 less Watts at 21.5 c/kWh is a saving of 0.96 c/globe/hour. Could add up to a couple of dollars for multiple globes over a year. Keep in mind that it's not unusual to have four lights on a single switch in a room.

Longevity of the globes is also a huge factor, especially for an IP with tenants who either don't know how to change the globes or don't own a ladder!

Third factor - LEDs don't run nearly as hot as halogens, so less of a fire risk with insulation.

I probably won't go ahead with the replacement program for my IP. All up easier to do it myself. Found a surprisingly good selection of LEDs in Bunnings today, despite most not being listed on their website. Trialling a Philips 5.5W in my PPOR and looks good so far. Slightly better than the Chinese ones i bought 3-4 years ago (tech has improved) and only $15 each - less online or in a multipack.

I recommend making the switch. Just a pity the government scheme is poorly set up. Either don't spend taxpayer money at all or offer a rebate on DIY as well.

D.T. likes this.
  7. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing that LED globe replacement is not worth doing.

It certainly is. Due to environment factors, heat dissipation, longevity, and aesthetics.

But unless your running lights in your home to the equivalent power usage of a football stadium then changing light bulbs for monetary gain is not of top priority.

21.5c /kwh is a good deal.
    However I think you may have missed a decimal place in you calculation.

The cost of running 70watt device ( typical ceiling fan on high speed ) @ 21.5 cents /kwh

per hour is $0.0151.

1.5 cents per hour.

So crank those ceiling fans 24/7 365

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I did it in NSW for the replacement of metal halide lights to LED for several sites with highbay lights. Payback period was something like 6 months but the tenant pays for power so the owner doesn't see the savings generated. However, the tenants see the improvement and the subsequent rent review :D

Stoffo and pawan ranta like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The government programme for light replacement with LEDs has been expanded to include halogens to LEDs - time to get moving including residential properties.

Even if it doesn't save you 1 cent as the tenant benefits from the installation, at least you have upgraded your lighting in the IPs.

Discounted energy efficient lighting for households
    Victorian Energy Upgrades program

Energy Savings Scheme - List of ACPs

Typical offerings (I haven't used these ones but typical type of lights on offer vary based on your state):

Home | Energy Savings Scheme | LED Upgrade | In2Energy
    LED Lights | Energy Efficient Bulbs | Sustainable Lighting | In2Energy

Residential Energy Efficiency - Ecovantage

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2021
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Wise to consider upgrade programmes as its getting harder to buy some halogen type bulbs. Even older LEDs used to warm up and now seem to be "on" quicker. In NSW there is a cost but it is subsidised. Min qty applies etc

NSW Discounted energy efficient lighting for households

NSW also has an appliance replacement deal that ends soon ! Appliance replacement offer

Get 50% off a new television or fridge. eg Plasma models. but you need a non-seniors health care card / pensioner card. Not seniors card. My Dad just got a new fridge under the deal.

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2021

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia