Free courses for SMSF Trustees or Directors of Trustees

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Terry_w, 10th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

ChrisP73, JohnPropChat and thatbum like this.
  2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

3. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would be quite wary of many of these. The persons involved are building trust to sell you something ?? Its like seminars. They arent free when the staff walk around trying to take your wallet. That link is a untrusted unsecure site. Stealing info of those with $$$ perhaps ?? Phishing and data farming. Bang on a CPA logo - Hang on....Accountants cant give financial advice and smsf general advice also needs a license. Ask a question and its not general advice either. !! Oh snap. Its a reason our PAS TV has no SMSF video information. I dont like being charged by ASIC. How is their training not financial advice ?? My Budget just got pinged for doing something similar without an AFSL. They said there were educating......

The domain name and the impression of training by CPAA is highly dubious.

Your connection is not fully secure
    This site uses an outdated security configuration, which may expose your information (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards) when it is sent to this site.

NET::ERR_SSL_OBSOLETE_VERSION

The ATO have some wonderful free and trusted information

Self-managed super funds

I also like this one which indicates the degree of complexity. Here are five simple sites to read and digest. Read and comprehend all that and you will know all there is to know about smsfs.

SIS Act : SUPERANNUATION INDUSTRY (SUPERVISION) ACT 1993
    SIS Regs : SUPERANNUATION INDUSTRY (SUPERVISION) REGULATIONS 1994
    Corporations Act : CORPORATIONS ACT 2001
    Corporations Regs : CORPORATIONS REGULATIONS 2001
    Tax Law : INCOME TAX ASSESSMENT ACT 1997

although I may argue qualifications and experience in tax, law and financial advice will help.,

Last edited: 11th Aug, 2021
  5. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

The following course is free, online and run by CPA Australia and Chartered Accountants ANZ.

For any new SMSF we set up we require a trustee to obtain a certificate. It takes around 40 minutes to 2 hours for a layperson and helps a potential trustee understand what they are getting into.

Self-Managed Superannuation Funds

Colin Rice and ChrisP73 like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Grant Abbotts book is very good preliminary reading for those consider a smsf and is VERY detailed on strategy and ideas but doesnt try to be a DIY guide to create trouble. Its one flaw is the continued changes to super and thresholds etc. So its slightly outdated and always will be.... Its written from the perspective of Grant advising his own parents when they asked....So its easy to digest.

The Guru’s Guide to SMSFs by Grant Abbott

7. Paul@PAS

That site is unlicensed financial advice. Its a worry. The concept in ensuring those contemplating a fund is commendable but its like teaching people online how to make drugs isnt actually a crime.

8. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

@Paul@PFI - It's linked off cpaaustralia.com.au - refer to first link - free online training - SMSF trustees

I'm wary of everything - self interest is pervasive.

Thanks for the references on the ato website Self-managed super funds.

Ross Forrester likes this.