Franking credits - gone?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Alex McDonald, 13th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

What the ... Isn’t it past your bedtime?

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Apparently it isn't socially acceptable to use the table at a restaurant as a bed despite what my bedtime may be.

Ynot and Nodrog like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's even less socially acceptable to go outside the restaurant sans clothes to check the temperature.

Ynot and Nodrog like this.
  4. SatayKing

Ta. I hadn't thought of that one. I'll take it on board for consideration next time.

geoffw likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Must have been boring company if you were checking and posting on the forum whilst at the restaurant:).

Ynot and geoffw like this.
  6. SatayKing

7. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing in the end?

Snowball, Anne11 and Froxy like this.
  8. SatayKing

For me the angst over it was interesting but not of great concern personally as now in my later years I've not taken the issue of a refund of excess franking credits or franking credits as such into account. I consider them as an end of year tax arrangement and let the accountant work the details out.

Apart from reverting the SMSF to accumulation phase for other reasons, I've plodded on occasionally placing funds.

For others it is a different story ranging from equality issues to they're taking away my income or how do I avoid paying tax.

Nothing unusual as there as I think we probably tend look out for ourselves and family first in these matters and then maybe just maybe think other aspects. Only my sour opinion.

Froxy, mdk and Pier1 like this.
  9. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Long live franking credits. :D

dansiu, oracle, bobbyj and 5 others like this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

As a famous person here once (or maybe twice) said:

IT’S ALL ABOUT ME:D.

sharon likes this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sorts out all the media rubbish about franking credits now the election is over,and a very good day for all the investors knowing that their plan will still work..

Nodrog likes this.
  12. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

While the franking credit thing was not going to personally affect me, I still think it’s was unfair to the people who had saved and invested according to the rules of the time to have the rug pulled out from underneath them.

The labor policy that probably had the biggest affect on my personal wealth would have been the trust tax. And even then it would not have personally been a major detriment.

So to say that I voted based on what’s personally in my best interest is true. Though the labor policies would not have had a major financial impact for me. I am happy to pay a little more tax on the basis that it is not P*ssed away by politicians.

Perthguy, Froxy and Marg4000 like this.
  13. SatayKing

Yeah same here @Big Al. My SMSF was invested and running according to the rules of the time. Totally tax free, drawing mandated account-based pension, then some bugger introduced a $1.6M limit on the tax-free and anything above at the time reverted to accumulation.

Not fair. :D

14. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

So we know LNP will not be touching the franking credit refunds but the question remains. What do ALP now do about their franking credit policy going forward. I think they will definitely drop it atleast for now.

This issue will not be raised for atleast another 6-10years at the minimum. Negative gearing probably not for another 15-20 years me thinks.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

sharon and willair like this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

16. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

'Two words, retiree tax': The policy that helped Labor lose the election

Labor's failure to hold seats in Queensland and Tasmania with large retiree populations cost Bill Shorten the election on Saturday after a predicted swing against the government in Victoria and NSW failed to materialise.
    Internally, Labor's polling showed it was being hammered in the over-65 age bracket, particularly in Queensland. "Two words: retiree tax," said one Labor source.

One of Australia's largest investors, Tom Millner said Labor's policies had damaged investment confidence.

"This election result is bloody fantastic, no more concerns with Labor stealing investors' franking credits," Mr Millner said.

----
    Full article here

Cheers,
    Oracle.

sharon, Snowball, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I wonder if Bowen has changed his mind since last night. Not sure most of the Labor party would agree with that statement. Bowen is being blamed for these tax policies that contributed to their loss.

18. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I say bring it on Bowen to the next election.

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Cheers,
    Oracle.

sharon, DJC, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

At least now a lot of people know some of their income streams are safe for the time being ,that within itself will start people spending again..
    As far as Labor goes Albanese will take control ,and if he did win over MrShorten over leadership battle in 2013
    Labor may well have won..

Nodrog and Marg4000 like this.
  20. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Franking credit refund lives but I suspect they put a cap on a refund sometimes in the future like the 1.6m tax free super cap.

Both parties know they can’t afford it one just play smarter than the other

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.