Franchising Franchise discussions

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by TMNT, 10th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.
    When I was doing skylights, rooting, and other building work, I went around helping to measure up for quotes, helped write up the contracts, dealt with clients, etc.

I also bought into a spray on paving, concrete coating franchise some time after that and learned from on the job experience in real time, I was so inexperienced and bad at selling jobs.
    I failed at that franchise after a year or two.

My only advice is to get your experience as fast and as cheap as possible, as it's likely it will take a few goes before you hit the big time.

clint05 likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Tell us more about your rooting experience. :D

Cactus and Truly Exotic like this.
  3. Ace in the Hole

:)
    It was often a slippery slope, especially when the husband came home from work...

Biz likes this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Clint
    How are you at sales? Particularly selling yourself.

That would be the main factor in my mind. If you can come up with your service offering (why you are better value - not cheaper but better value eg arrives within 15minutes or ???) and then feel comfortable with going out and telling people about yourself and your service then going out on your own may be a better proposition.

If you are uncomfortable with going out and talking about yourself and your service then a franchise may be a better option as they will source your leads.

If you are comfortable then work out what handyman and tradies have a bad reputation for, show people how you are different to that and therefore a better value proposition.

Given that they tend to have a bad rep for
    1. being late or not showing up
    2. being scruffy
    3. making a mess
    4. not answering their phone/ being hard to get

Should be an easy fix
    1. if not there within 15 mins of booked time (unless we give at least an hours notice) then we will give you $50 cash
    2. have clean uniforms, shave everyday and have neat hear
    3. don't wear boots inside and make sure you tidy up so the place looks better
    4. get a phone answering/ diary managment service to answer your calls and take bookings.

clint05 likes this.
  5. clint05

clint05 Well-Known Member

Hi RPI, thanks for taking the time to give me a thorough reply. Everyone's input here has been invaluable.

I consider myself reasonably good at sales. I know I can provide an excellent quality service for a competitive price. I take pride in my workmanship and I would be more than happy to warrantee any of work.

Being a trade qualified carpenter with cabinetry, tiling, plastering, flooring, and minor plumbing experience I believe I can save my clients money, time and hassle by completing my jobs individually without the need to employ or deal with multiple trades.

With regards to your 4 common tradie problems, I don't think any of those things will be a problem for me, so your marketing idea of arrive within 15 min of said time or $50 cash back may be worth considering. The one area I will certainly look to improve when running my own business is keeping my car clean and tidy. I have a habit of having tools / plans / drink bottles etc on my passenger seat.

Also I have 2 cheap rural properties (Inglewood Qld) under contract for their sale. Would you be interested in doing my conveyancing for those sales? If so could you let me know where to send copies of contracts.

Cheers,
    Clint.

6. Ace in the Hole

I believe this is the vital key to success in a service industry.
    Working on your sales skills and becoming a gun salesman would make it impossible to fail.
    Check out Grant Cardone for some awesome material.

clint05 likes this.
  7. Arkitek

Arkitek New Member

Interesting. I tend to think there's a big difference to a complete novice mowing some grass or selling some screws to one "PM" building work or house extension! I have seen other marketing systems come out of NZ and they all fizz after a while.