Forums going offline tonight for server upgrade

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 18th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The forums will be going offline tonight from about midnight Sydney time for around half an hour while we migrate to a larger machine.

EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

New UPS coming soon.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  4. TheGreenLeaf

TheGreenLeaf Well-Known Member

Hi @Simon Hampel, could you tell us a bit more about what kind of equipment you're using to host this website?
    Just curious about the technical side of it...
    Thanks

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sorry to see the Commodore 64 has reached end of life. The Apple II will be a major upgrade.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It won out over the TRS80 with twin cassette recorders and 8" floppy.

7. Simon Hampel

Sure, I run VPS servers on Linode.

Currently have the following for PropertyChat:
    • Web server: 12GB Linode (6CPU cores) running Ubuntu 16.04 with Nginx / php-fpm (PHP7)

(it's only 12GB because I need the disk space for one of my other sites - a 4GB Linode with 2 cores is plenty powerful enough for the web serving I do on this server),

• Database server: 8GB Linode (4 CPU cores) running Ubuntu 16.04 with MySQL 5.7

(again, a 4GB Linode with 2 CPU cores would be sufficient to host the database for PropertyChat on its own - but this server has 24 databases on it so I need the extra RAM - although most are pretty small / low volume, ).

• Search server: 2GB Linode (1 CPU core) running Ubuntu 16.04 with ElasticSearch (search engine)

(this server provides search capabilities for PropertyChat, Somersoft, InvestChat, BusinessChat and ZooChat and despite that, it just idles along rarely going above 2% CPU usage)
    Previously the Linodes were all hosted in Tokyo, but due to capacity constraints in their datacentre there I've had to relocate them all to Singapore. I keep asking them to launch services from a datacentre in Australia but no joy there yet.

I have 8 forum based websites running off that 12GB Linode - I also have 4 other web servers running other sites (mostly 2GB or 4GB Linodes) using the same database server, then I have a second database server just for Somersoft (because the database is too big). I currently run 9 Linodes in various configurations (actually it's 14 but only because I'm still transitioning the last of them from Tokyo to Singapore and there's 5 waiting to be decommissioned in the next few weeks - two of them just became redundant today because I launched a new version of ZooChat this morning which finally moved to Singapore - and is the reason I needed to upgrade the server and hence this thread ... 280,000 photos in the photo gallery takes a lot of space!).

I'll be setting up a duplicate database server at some point soon, so that will be a 2nd 8GB Linode operating in a cluster of some sort for availability and performance reasons.

There's also a couple of dozen external services I use for parts of the site (including G Suite, SparkPost, Maxmind, Close.io, Customer.io, HipChat, Slack, DeployHQ, Akismet, Buffer, eWay, HelpSpot, Hootsuite, Sprout Social, StatusCake, Saasu, and more).

There's an huge amount of software behind the scenes to make this site work.

Last edited: 22nd Oct, 2016
    TheGreenLeaf and Perthguy like this.
  8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have pipes flushed and the septic system pumped out. Needed after some of the discussion in threads earlier tonight.

HUGH72, kierank and Blacky like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

1. bored
    2. lonely
    3. drunk
    ... or all of the above :rolleyes:

Agent99, larrylarry and Blacky like this.
  10. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

So it's a little more complex that a free Wix website.

11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hope the fix was permanent.

12. Simon Hampel

Just a bit.

LifesGood and TheGreenLeaf like this.
  13. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

14. Simon Hampel

There is a team of people developing a generic native iOS/Android app for use with the forum software that I am waiting to test out. Should be ready by the end of the year hopefully.

I'm not sure how suitable it will be - so not promising anything at this point.