Sports & Fitness Formula 1

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Davothegreat, 7th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I'm predicting the 2016 F1 season to be more of the same boring dribble as the last 2 years. Anyone feel different?

And sadly it looks like the new rules for 2017 aren't going to do anything to improve the racing either :-(

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Not really. Sport is worse than it has ever been. Boring drivers, boring cars, boring circuits. I was watching some reruns I have on VHS from the late 90's a few months back. Man what a difference...

I have woken up religiously for the past 20 odd years to watch the early morning races but these days I don't care so much. Happy to catch a replay and watch it at double speed haha.

3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I can't even watch it these days. It's just so boring like @Biz has mentioned. With all of this greenie, hybrid, fuel saving rubbish that every leftie, labor voting tree hugger is pushing, it's made the pinnacle of car racing dull.

Bike racing is way more interesting. Motogp and WSB are the best!

4. Davothegreat

They run an F1 classic race every now and then on Fox Sports and sometimes have recaps of old seasons in a 1 or 2 hour program, they're great. Actually they're doing the same now with MotoGP Classic races, rerunning great races from I think 1992 onwards.

5. Moych

Moych Well-Known Member

I watched that doco called "the Killer Years" a few weeks ago, that was racing...

In case you haven't seen it ()

The last few years, I'm just sick of seeing one team dominate. The rule changes come in and favour a team, while the other teams fight it out for the scraps... The best rule change/innovation they've had recently was when the tyre durability was reduced and they were being destroyed within the race - the best drivers were being rewarded for a change, and not just the best team/car...

6. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Please bring back refueling, a bit more parity between teams and make the powerplant sound a little better...

7. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

Agreed mini2, I think it lost its mojo when they removed refuelling. I realise it was safety concern but almost all other motor racing has refuelling and they manage to do it safely. Perhaps they could change it so that no one else can touch the car during the refuelling process like in some of the 12/24hr races.

It was so much more exciting when there was the chance that a driver was going to run out of fuel or they had to conserve fuel to get to the finish, as it added another layer of strategy into it.

When it was on free to air I used to religiously watch every race but last year, when Channel 10 'The home of big event motor sport' hardly showed any races it was disappointing. Yes I know most people would say get fox or stream the bbc coverage but thats not always an option.

8. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

I supposed asking for parity between teams would be difficult given there's always been a hierarchy since day dot and the racing itself is now too sanitised. It's almost certain you will cop a penalty from the stewarts if you do anything slightly out of hand. What happened to some of those Senna vs Prost moves?

9. Davothegreat

There's 3 things I want to see...

1. make the cars scary to drive
    2. setup the formula so that the drivers can and must push the cars to the limit for the whole race in order to win.
    3. let the drivers race (with the exception of deliberately taking each other out), if someone is disadvantaged from someone else because of blocking or whatever else then try harder.

alexm likes this.
  10. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Stop team orders. Let the drivers battle it out even if putting the constructor's points at risk.

11. Davothegreat

They've tried banning team orders so many times it's not funny. Banning team radio might be a good start. Bikes manage ok without radio.

12. Davothegreat

So what'd everyone think of the Oz F1 GP? Qualifying was a shocker, nice to see they've already scrapped the new format in time for Bahrain.

The race ended up interesting thanks to the Mercs blowing the start. Vettel's pace was intriguing though. He had no trouble holding off Rosberg in the early stages and later on if you factor in the 2.5 seconds he lost in his fudged pitstop plus the time he lost running off the track near the end, he had enough pace to beat Hamilton... but the question is how hard were the Mercs really trying?

13. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

I miss the v8/10s :(

Davothegreat, Biz and alexm like this.
  14. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

I skipped the quali's and changed channel half way through the race. It was boring.

15. Davothegreat

Well what do you know, the weekend's F1 race actually wasn't boring. Shame Danny Ric couldn't bring it home thanks to a borked strategy and the puncture at the end. Hopefully this Renault engine update will actually make a difference. And of course, well done Max Verstappen.

16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Bernie should pay one of the crap teams to take out the mercs every race, that will spice it up.

**** I can't stand Hamilton! He has this veneer of smug arrogance about him whenever he is interviewed but when something bad happens he cracks it and you see the real Lewis. Demon driver but an a grade tosser.

Davothegreat likes this.
  17. Davothegreat

18. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

Hope Daniel can stick it on pole tonight at Monaco.

19. Davothegreat

Poor Danny Ric got robbed :-( Would have won by miles if not for Red Bull, who admittedly are usually dynamite at quick pit stops, totally screwing up his stop despite them apparently making the call to pit. FFS!

20. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

"Hold on mate, tyres are just out the back of the shed".