Sports & Fitness Formula 1

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gossamer, 31st Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gossamer

Gossamer Active Member

This time last year many people would have put Daniel Ricciardo as the driver most likely to replace Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari. What a difference a year makes. Charles Leclerc came out of nowhere and now has a pole position to his name after only his second race in the Ferrari. This kid is exceptional.

As for Daniel, his only hope now is to get into the Mercedes team should they ditch Valtteri Bottas.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right... I still like Riccardio
    Doco on netfix, I posted. f1

Got to watch it

3. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Interesting story to Leclerc as he grew up under the wing of Jules Bianchi. Will he have to follow team orders giving way to Vettel?

Can't see Daniel doing anything with Renault. At least he has out qualified Gasley who took his seat.

4. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

F1 is a sanitised snooze fest these days. Death by a thousand cuts if I ever saw it.

Gossamer and alexm like this.
  5. Gossamer

Gossamer Active Member

Poor Charles. Did everything right and the car let him down.

6. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Was nice to see Ferrari didn't stop Leclerc from overtaking Vettel. The kid's bloody good though, and has a cool head too, unlike Vettel. Future world champion, maybe even this year if Ferrari can sort out their reliability as the car's clearly got good pace.

Unless Renault have something stunning in the pipeline for 2021 then this move will be the end of Danny Ric's career as he's got nowhere else to go. Mercedes has Ocon in the wings if Bottas fails. Ferrari won't want him unless Vettel retires and if Leclerc is world champ by then they'll just feed off their driver academy (Mick Schumacher anyone, wouldn't that be something). Red Bull only ever promotes from within so he'll never be let back in over there.

7. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

yes true, but most high end racing is, lmp 1? 2 car race, top 3 usually same team, lmp 2 ? just like lmp1, single manufacturer racing series ?? most is pro am, boring again.

what else is out there. WTAC ? supercar ? lol. supercar is won by the same people again and again and again too at the end comes down to money ?

but last race was a hell of a race, so many dramas !.

they did, they ask him to wait for 2 laps, charles chopped seb in the first lap haha.

redbull recruit from within strategy dont apply anymore, thats why the torpedo got his seat back, its not like the old days when max can drive a f1 before you reach 18 (plus other requirements

license requirement has changed,

bottas will be snapped up by someone if mercedes choose to let him go, ric got plenty of sponsor money, he will get a seat dont you worry.

8. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

Yes, true. All categories are not what they once were. The advancement in technology has really killed off the unpredictability of motorsport right across the board. Very limited driver input as the computer knows what is best. Once it was 20-30% driver and the rest the car. Now it is 5% driver and the rest the car.

Gossamer likes this.
  9. Gossamer

Gossamer Active Member

Easy fix. Eliminate 'drive by wire' throttles and automatic gearboxes. Three pedals, a double H-pattern and one nut to hold the steering wheel.

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My son is doing Excel Racing which is supposed to be the cheap way to do racing. He's a rooky and just behind the toprunners. The boys won't tell me what they've spent for first year racing so I'm guessing $8-12K on vehicle. To get him to the next level we need $4000 for a better suspension, etc. We haven't bothered with a lot of the technical advancements others in the race are using so it's purely skill at this stage. Sponsors that contribute to costs is a bonus. Yes you can only go so far unless you do what everyone else is doing and it's a lot about money.

Last edited: 20th Sep, 2019
    Coffee likes this.
  11. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

It is all about the money if you want to advance in motorsport. I used to do a bit of kart racing down here in Canberra for a few years. Going to jump into the 4SS enduro racing hopefully next year with a few mates for a laugh.

Couple of onboard laps from a few years ago

craigc, TMNT, Redwing and 1 other person like this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

That looks like so much fun! We’re not from a go-karting or racing family so there’s a lot of learning! I love it!! A 15 yr old go-karter joined our Excel race last week and didn’t do too bad for first race!
    My son did the 3 Ricciardo Races junior courses for a bit of fun and got hooked. He self-taught to drive a manual car through video games and on practice track days. Sometimes it’s heart stopping. Great fun. Except he’s on his learners now for road driving and loves to keep me on my toes.

13. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

Propin likes this.
  14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

You're not in WA are you? I keep trying to get him to download his driving to his page but looks like I've been unsuccessful. A small snippet of him at 16 doing an enduro event and swapover with co-driver. -Co-driver could be from any other racing from within Aus
    . Son reviews all gopro footage after races but he is way to humble. Cam Atkins Racing

15. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

Thanks for link will check it out.

Propin likes this.