Forms of income used by banks in serviceability calculations

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Hosko, 9th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Hi,
    What forms of income outside salary, wages and rent are banks willing to use in their serviceability calculations. We have been doing some trading on the share market, and the numbers look ok for the last 6 months. Wondering if we can use this with some banks.

Thanks

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Generally have to show a couple of years tax returns for it to be considered.

3. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Thanks Jamie. Thought it may be something along these lines. I'm just looking to take advantage of the good times because I know the results aren't always like this!

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Are you relying on the income then when in the not so good times ?

ta
    rolf

tobe and Jason Tyrrell like this.
  5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Does short term rentals (like 1 week, 1 month) still account for income as being accepted for servicability?

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Yes they do but because the income is more irregular you'll usually need 2 yrs returns to show some kind of consistency.

7. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Can include dividends from shares/managed with some lenders quicker than 2 years (pretty sure CBA/ANZ will consider in shorter time periods, but others like NAB will require tax return history) - but if your looking to include the capital gains from trading, that will generally require 2 years before taken into consideration.

8. melbournian

Would an appraisal from an agent (say someone who specializes in these form of short term leases) be sufficient (saying this place (address) has a rental of $3000 per month

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Only if you are achieving $x each month - the agent doesn’t control how often you accept bookings

10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

No, because without a history this kind of property is usually seasonal and might be vacant 6 months of the year. The tax returns are required to show the consistency of the income.

11. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

@ eveyone
    Considering short term rentals.... lets assume you set them up in a company and pay yourself a salary (which can equal the profit). Then you only need to show last two payslips? Is this correct?

12. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Also need to show two years history for that company to use that income (if your the director and related to it).

Cant become self employed and pay yourself a salary and use that for servicing. Most lenders will only include salary/profit after two years essentially. Can do shorter with different types of financing of course (low doc).

13. Excalibur1

Lets say I put myself as director of the company and my wife is an employee... I pay her a salary just like any other company. The banks wont b looking at the company but at the employee as long as she passes the probation (only if she is good enough hehe) ?

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

typically, lenders are pretty good at picking out directors that are related to the employee and will usually treat the whole thing as self employed

ta
    rolf

15. Excalibur1

Thanks for clarifying that @Rolf Latham . I can still see ways around it... It should be very easy to separate that link.

16. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Great try though.

17. Excalibur1

its good to know there are options.... but then again, people shouldn't take on more debt than they can handle. I always say have a years worth of all expenses stashed away in case of emergency!
    I think someone else (cant remember who) was talking about annuities for this too...

Xenia likes this.
  18. melbournian

yeah but let's say the agent manages the whole process (end to end) like a company called hostkeep.
    - HostKeep Property Management

i'm just there to get statements.

D.T. likes this.
  19. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

No, not relying on the income. Mrs Hosko is going to add a further day mid next year in a gradual return from mat leave.
    I'm very comfortable that we can handle the repayments even at an additional few percent

20. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If one persons income alone is going to be enough to service the debt then you don't need to try find elaborate ways to work the system. If you need both incomes to service and one isn't real, then you probably shouldn't be borrowing the money.

As Rolf indicated the banks usually find out when you're trying to be creative. If you're trying to be creative unnecessarily you run the risk of having the loan knocked back even if you could have qualified legitimately.

It actually takes quite a bit of effort and commitment to make someone look as they're employed. There's more going on than a simple payslip in a word document.

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2015
    Excalibur1 and Xenia like this.