Former NSW Premier calls for end to immigration

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 17th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I don't have a huge view on this. But there're many parts of this country with pent-up anger at the moment.

As an investor and purely that, I would look to diversify out of here, because the political landscape can change too easily.

2. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

I'm an immigrant, and I don't live in Sydney. :p

There seems to be a certain amount of unhappiness about the intake of migrants in some quarters. It's not necessarily in the mainstream, but Macrobusiness has been complaining about the Population Ponzi for a while now.

The question is whether Bob Carr is one of the first politicians to speak out against Big Australia, or a lone voice. If the former then sentiment can turn around very fast. For example, all major parties are tabling reforms to negative gearing, something that was considered untouchable a few months ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if immigration numbers are significantly down in five or ten years, and the public mood shifted somewhat against it. Whether or not that's a good thing is a different question.

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do not think the population has a problem with immigrants per se, but they have a problem with people who jump the queue, or cheat or come here with an agenda or won't work or participate in our society.

I know a lot of new Australians who really dislike what I have described above, as someone who's family has been here for many generations, I think we welcome genuine people who really do appreciate what the country offers.

T.C., ashish1137 and keithj like this.
  4. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

The world seems like a pretty angry place at the moment and the political landscape isn't helping with real estate investments.

5. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    There's a couple of fringe political parties that are keen on a slow down of immigration, such as the 'Sustainable Australia' party, which notably has Dick Smith as a member.

The only politician I'm aware of that is anti-population growth is Labor's Kelvin Thompson.
    No Cookies | Herald Sun

6. WalkaMile

WalkaMile Member

A short term fix that will create a long term problem

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Or where there are people like them who speak their language.

Chilliblue likes this.