Former NSW Premier calls for end to immigration

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 17th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Communism?

I'm joking! :D I'll keep reading, sounds interesting. Now I've learnt something it's back to bed for me

dalglishk likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's why many Europeans went to FNQ on the 'baccy or to sugar, Snowy etc

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Probably everyone in Australia should do themselves a huge favour and go regional for a while.
    The post-war immigrants did it tough and were not treated in the same way immigrants are treated these days. Some things were better, plenty was worse. Still, they made a good go of the hand they were dealt.
    Even they gathered into cultural groups for a while, though.

Cactus, HUGH72 and bob shovel like this.
  4. bob shovel

They went there as that's where the camps were but also farming /ag was much more labour intensive so jobs were available post war.
    Need to create more jobs in fregional areas

BigKahuna likes this.
  5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean but it already happens with 475 visas and when people are sponsored by companies.

6. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I doubt he has forgotten. And what possible relevance does his wife's background have on his view in 2016?

Esel, radson and T.C. like this.
  7. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Mock them. Take a boat to work

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes and somehow doctors and nurses are required to do a stint out west too. That seems to work, a few years at a time.
    It's better to do it with professions rather than just sending new arrivals outback willy nilly.
    In anycase, the Sudanese seem to have gone regional e.g. Orange, Tamworth and Toowoomba to name a few.
    I believe htat the Gold Coast is good for Iranians.
    So it's not just Sydney and Melbourne.

Last edited: 17th Feb, 2016
    bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

It also works for farmers that get cash from back packers to sign a form and extend their visa ;)

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

He is the twat who stuffed many things years ago all while he had his money safe.

He is someone who should be ignored, he is a media attention seeking whore, he should move on and bow out, but his ego does not allow it ...... he is a talking head, who should have batteries removed.......

Now, onto growth, no, growth is ok, just keep out those that seek to change our culture, or not accept the gracious host, and need I say it, the ones that will do others harm.

11. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

I think its comical that we have this mega sized country then squeeze like hell into a few square metres in Potts Point

12. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Stones...glass houses...

13. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Tattoo shops, graffiti and Centrelink buildings seem to be doing very well in the regional areas:rolleyes:

14. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

"Australia is a massive country, they need to stop "them" getting off at Sydney! Surely the other capitals have ports by now??"

Got to agree with this . Why the hell can't we decentralise.?

15. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

I

I agree with this.

The minister is comparing Australia to Indonesia and mentioned that the rate of population increase for Australia is greater than Indonesia. But he left out a very important point : Australia has 7.6 million km2 of land with only 24 million people living in it. But Indonesia has only 1.9 million km2 of land yet has 250 million people in it. So which is more populated? and would Australia ever have more people than Indonesia even if its population increase rate is really greater than Indonesia?

Australia is definitely not over populated. Try telling this to any Asian and they will laugh! How can we be over populated when small towns all around us are facing population declines??

The real problem is over concentration of people in a handful of cities. Coupled with poor planning and half hearted attempts to improve the infrastructures of the cities, the results?? Buses and trains are filled to brim and house prices spiralling up.. Shouldn't the govt take their share of blame for what's happening now?

Australia is a real lucky country. Perhaps too lucky that some people stopped thinking and instead, conveniently label migrants as the source of all evils.

BigKahuna likes this.
  16. bob shovel

And Australia is to big! The cost to build roads and infrastructure for little towns that should just be wiped off the map, being bigger is also inefficient. The gaps need to be filled with people
    There is a lot of inhabitable land also when comparing, 20% desert (?)
    Habitability map of Australia1_11844220_tcm11-17831.jpg
    1920s accuracy. I could think of a few more areas to label as "useless" but Melbourne people whinge to much ;)

17. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Really, that's the way you percieve this? Thankfully I can't grasp the "logic" you are employing ;)

radson likes this.
  18. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

I guess for some it would be considered "communism" and in some cases it is.

But (and there are many examples, here are the best two I am aware of) places like Mondragon and Semco are very much capitalist - but within a co-operative or democratic structure.

The largest company in NZ is also a co-operative.

Each to their own.

Esel and BigKahuna like this.
  19. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Tha @MarkB . There is hope for us:

Mondragon co-operatives are united by a humanist concept of business, a philosophy of participation and solidarity, and a shared business culture. The culture is ****** in a shared mission and a number of principles, corporate values and business policies.

This philosophy is complemented by four corporate values: Co-operation, acting as owners and protagonists; Participation, which takes shape as a commitment to management; Social Responsibility, by means of the distribution of wealth based on solidarity; and Innovation, focusing on constant renewal in all areas.

20. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

How is it discriminatory to ask migrants to settle in a certain area? You've only got to burp on this site to be accused by an irrational few of being racist, sexist homophobic baby killers.