ForestLake - Airconditioner replacement

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by BeeChrys, 14th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BeeChrys

BeeChrys Member

Hi all, I am looking for a handyman who can provide and install a new split system air conditioner in our IP in ForestLake. Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for companies with competitive prices. I've gotten a couple so far and the 2 companies are completely different in prices so would like to explore more.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are you really wanting a handyman? Have you got quotes from handymen to organise the quotes, or are the two very different quotes from two airconditioning companies?

3. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

To install an split system I am pretty sure they require an electrical license.
    Some may even require 3 phase???? and a separate switch outside that can isolate the power source if its a hard wired setup.

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2018
    Shazi likes this.
  4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Handyman can install.... if you're using a PowerPoint... looks like rubbish though.

I've seen jobs where the air con has got an extension cord running to the PowerPoint across the room.

Get it done properly by someone who specializes in air con installs.

5. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Not sure where you live but companies like the Good Guys used to do deals including fitting , so you do not have to go out and find someone to fit it.
    Im assuming they have their own contractors that they use.
    Different states might have different rules and some states require an electrical certificate issued to the homeowner for hard wired appliances.

6. BeeChrys

BeeChrys Member

The two companies I got quotes from are actually electricians so probably the wrong word to use when I said handyman.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have three good air-con guys we've used more than once. Andy we've used many times over probably 15 years. He recommended Jeff one time when he couldn't get to a job at the time we needed.

Most recently our sparkie has put us onto Zac. They've worked together on various jobs and Zac is doing a job for us now. Lovely bloke.

Zac 0416 559 475 (cannot recall his company name)
    Andy Booth (Booth Air) 0439 330 780
    Jeff Thatcher Air-Con 0419 730 780

Most air-con guys have a limited electrical licence (in our experience) but if not, they will price into their quote for a sparkie to do what is needed for the install. They will not expect you to hire a sparkie separately (but our last job, we had a sparkie on site doing other work, and the air-con guy just marked the wall where he needed the power run to.)

We've bought air-con units on sale, or on a cash-back basis, claimed our $100 cash back and just had the guys do the install. We've also just asked them to pick up the unit for us. The last time I priced up a "buy it and get a $100 cash back" offer, I found it was about the same as our air-con guy buying from his supplier direct (and I've had enough of picking things up, delivering them to the house, making a time with tenants to deliver them etc all for $100).

Last edited: 15th Sep, 2018
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A 4 year apprenticeship vs hanging up a shingle - I'd be embarrassed.

9. BeeChrys

BeeChrys Member

Great, thank you :)