Foreign investors. Smashed in NSW Budget

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 20th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Foeign buyers in NSW are in for more pain. 8% duty surcharge and 2% land tax surcharge. Ouch...Time to call DFAT and apply for ciizenship

2. Paul@PAS

When will someone call it and see that removing foreign buyers has moderated auctions ?? Media seem to have focussed on 1st July as if prices will suddenly rise / collapse. I dont think so BUT these tax changes have to impact foreign funds.

One of the largest groups affected are foreign students. Parents send then a bucket of money and they buy. Its all subject to land tax and duty surcharges. Detection ?? I reckon it will take time before OSR goes on the hunt for avoiders.

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I got my citizenship in May yay :)

I wonder, how many foreign students buy property while they're still in uni?

4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Highlights a risk for anyone investing OS (not just Aus) you are an easy target for government revenue raising. No backlash as you can't vote and popular with nationalist segments of the local community.

highlighter, Biz and Anthony Brew like this.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

when i was consulting to a University in Australia the registrars had to organise for the delivery of a ferrari to get around town to one of the students from her father a member of the royal family in Dubai

6. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

The duty surcharge is one off? where as land tax surcharge is annual?

7. Paul@PAS

Yes

But LMI is no longer subject to stamp duty

8. Paul@PAS

Interesting budget item $27m cost for antiradicalisation in jails.

That a hell of a lot of bullets.

Corkey and Corey Batt like this.
  9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

We expect it will impact the market but with the usual lag time, won't show up in official cg statistics for another 6 mths or so. We deal with foreign buyers and the charges are certainly making a difference in sentiment and decision-making. Interestingly, lots of off-market properties coming out of the woodwork with very "motivated" sellers keen to capitalise on what they view as a glut of foreign buyers keen to do a deal before July 1.....the further 4% increase on surcharge is significant.

Paul@PAS and Sackie like this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Motivated developers holding property and sweating?

11. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Most of these changes were forecast back in May after the Federal Budget was announced.

Foreigner's will now pay Regular Stamp Duty + 8% Foreigner Duty Surcharge + 2% Land Tax/Year. So possibly upto 15%.

Coupled with Federal Budget changes

First home buyer grants, stamp duty exemptions and discounts in NSW

Developers can be exempted, but their are conditions for the exemption.

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Is this non citizens or non residents? I've been a PR for the past 20 years.

13. zlatan9

zlatan9 Well-Known Member

Stamp duty of >10% on foreigners has caused significant price drops in Canada. NSW will be different?

highlighter likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Can be either. A PR is allowed a concession BUT must reside here in THAT property and there is a test based on days. ie a PR cannot own other property without the surcharge.

If the PR owns one IP valued less than the land tax threshold they must register for land tax. They will get a nil land tax assessment and a $X surcharge assessment.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2017
    spludgey likes this.
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Ouch! They're stripping away the benefits of being a PR :eek:
    How does the OSR know if the PR have become a citizen?

16. Paul@PAS

They will have their ways. And a clearance certificate or a random audit etc = penalties. I'm expecting to process for clearance certificates to change to address this issue. They will seek evidence of birth, citizenship and the like as part of the process.

The budget was framed around raking in more tax revenue. You can expect they will seek to find it.

17. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I pressed "like" on your post, even though I dislike the content of it immensely!
    Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll have to get my permission from the German government to take the Australian citizenship and then apply for that as quickly as I can!

ellejay and Paul@PAS like this.
  18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

What happen if you don't ask for permission? :confused:

19. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

EN710 and spludgey like this.
  20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

a few years ago...lots, perhaps on behalf of some other family members- nevertheless, with suitcases full of cash.:) I love BRICS money:)

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia