Forecasts and Predictions...????

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 23rd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Atlanta - 15%+ and rising:)

Gypsyblood likes this.
  2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Sydney + 4%
    Melbourne + 7%
    Brisbane + 4%
    Adelaide + 5%
    Hobart + 5%
    Perth - 3%
    Darwin - 5%

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But when you consider how expensive Sydney is... Sydney homes probably gain as much as anywhere else in pure $ terms :D.

Eg 1mill + 4% = $1,040,000.

That's 40k straight up!

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

not that simple

it will be dependent on a few things, volume/how many you purchased in Syd will be the big one? entry point, product, area, % growth

Some blue suburbs in Melb East have very high entry and growth has been massive. buy 3 of these and you cleaned up. Its all relative to above items I mentioned

5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

So many factors, volume, leverage, yield, maintenance, entry/exist cost - list goes on.

Thread is more about shooting at a dart board some predictions for the year.
    o_O And of course celebrating the winner next year as the property guru that will now charge for their predictions ;)

Cactus and MTR like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Brady

unfortunately most get the predictions wrong, I think now Syd is having its last horrah and leaping ahead of Melb....
    If anyone is in a position to access equity they should be jumping in now before it's too late

MTR

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon nobody has a perfect crystal ball but we can make a guess.

8. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Those 40k will not even cover the cost of stamp duty on a 1 mil. property. :)

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Mines broken so your all going to be wrong :p

download.jpg

MTR likes this.
  10. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Thats the thing about playing in the 'houses' markets of sydney and melbourne... good luck even getting an 80/20 lvr loan on a $1Mill house in either of these cities!

Plus the stamp duties are a killer. All that jumping through hoops and for what? A paultry 2% yield that effectively is youe death sentence for any further new loans/purchases.

Personally, I'd much rather look at buying 3 houses for $1mill in tier #2 cap cities (i.e. not syd or mel), at decent yields that ALSO offer good cap growth prospects. Doing it this way gives me options for now and options for later too

HUGH72, Chris Au and JDP1 like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

... but there are many affordable suburbs in Melb, west.

Also, why would it be difficult sourcing finance $1M? 80/20 LVR?

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like South Coast NSW ;)

13. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

@MTR you might get that first loan and buy that first $1mill property, sure. But what then after that? I doubt many lenders except for the peppers, liberties, IMB's of the world would touch you after that. The property would have a 2 or 3% gross yield, so the lenders are unlikely to want to give the average borrower on average personal salary incomes many more funds.

From there you are left with a hugely negatively geared property that, whilst will have awesome capital growth, will be harder to really do much more with. After your prime income-producing years wither, you'll be left with (at best) a slightly negative or perhaps neutrally geared asset. Unless you plan to extract equity and live off that each year (LOE) I doubt this is viable/sustainable into retirement.

I dont doubt that $400k houses exist in Melbourne suburbs (and possibly some very far flung sydney suburbs 60km out if you are lucky...), but the case i am making is that I just dont understand those who have a strategy to buy these $1mill things and actually expect to grow a portfolio of many of these kinds of acquisitions (unless they are on a salary of $400k+ per year, perhaps).

I think it is way smarter to build a portfolio of $300-$500K houses in good CG areas. Just so many options for later on. Especially if you buy houses with reno potential or decent frontages for later subdivision or development.

HUGH72 likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

good points.
    I don't think many investors would be buying $1M+ IPs unless its primary residence.
    I think @sash is building land and house sub $400K.

15. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Yep I'm doing it at $330/$360k H&L but that is like 60k out of Cbd.

16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Incorrect. I have used my crystal ball only twice- to accurately predict bolt will win 100 and 200m. Which he did..so I'm 100%correct so far:)

17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

actually sub 350k...last one was 260k for 3x1x1 and one before 301k....next one 325k...all turnkey. cheap one in geelong one north of melb 30 klms and other 55 klms se

MTR likes this.
  18. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

On old buys under construction now or just titling those figures are very possible. I am settling two lots now that will cost me $310 turnkey 4/2/2, but land was purchased a year ago and the build was locked in a while ago too.

New stuff is a bit harder I'm finding 330k-$360k turnkey 3/2/2-4/2/2. Mind you I like to upgrade quite a few things so they are not super povo pack come resale if necessary.

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Agree.....build costs have gone up 10k in the last 8 months....ridiculous....also well priced land is rare as hens teeth at the moment!

20. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Reviving this thread to see how my predictions went.

15months from initial guesses, YOY growth (according to CoreLogic)

Sydney: 11.07%
    Melbourne: 11.52%
    Brisbane (excluding GC): 2.33%
    Adelaide: 2.89%
    Perth: -3.82%
    Hobart: 5.8%

Seems I was too pessimistic on Sydney and too bullish on Brissy. Everything else was pretty close :)

Perthguy, EN710 and Bunlee like this.