Forecasts and Predictions...????

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 23rd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

That's almost exactly what I'd go for if I had to make a call on capital city medians. I'd just flip the Adelaide and Brisbane numbers. :p

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  2. meme plecko

meme plecko Well-Known Member

I don't think that Sydney is going to hit negative % this year.
    Melbourne to be the clear winner (>7% due to outer South East, North and West) followed by...wait for it...Hobart :)

@MTR what is your forecast (in %)?

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We are already heading towards April 2016 (first quarter) and Melbourne is proving to be the strongest market no prediction here its FACT. I don't see anything changing this year, I expect double digit growth. I am bullish on Melb middle ring - south East, anything with large land component will probably do very well as its becoming harder for developers to source land.

Sydney, perhaps modest growth, but there are areas that are slipping now and negative sentiment will possibly impact further on this market.

Brisbane - will continue to grow but not sure about %, or which certain pockets will outperform. I am not watching this market. I am sure many on PC will know where to buy for performance?

Adelaide - will start to move but once again not watching this market, whether it achieves double digit growth will be the question??

Tassie ??? don't know ? don't watch this market

Perth - will continue to fall, we have seen 10% falls already (2015), regardless what stats tell you. Further modest decline perhaps in 2016-2017??

We should review this at the end of the year

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2016
    samiam likes this.
  4. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Sydney: 3-5%
    Melbourne 5-7%
    Brisbane 8-14%
    Adelaide 2-3%
    Hobart 2-3%
    Perth -2-0%

5. Cbrgirl

Cbrgirl Well-Known Member

Can you please also add Canberra to your list? Thanks :)

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can not edit my original post. But yes Canberra should have been included.

Anyone care to provide an update, I have not been watching this market, be interested to find out what is happening here.

MTR:)

Cbrgirl likes this.
  7. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Sydney 1% Expensive but stock numbers low, suppy limited by geography
    Melbourne 5%Expensive but not compared to Syd. Similar fundamentals but more available land.
    Brisbane 4%Improving economy, too much stock
    Adelaide 4%Economic headwinds, affordable
    Hobart no idea
    Perth 0% must find a bottom soon?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes. Bottom will be November 1st, 2016.

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Is that a prediction or wishful thinking?:p

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Pandering to/imploring the Cycle Gods :oops:

Gypsyblood and KJB like this.
  11. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    The benefit Melbourne has got going for it is that it receives net interstate migration. Sydney increases its population by 100k each year; however, when it comes to net migration they actually lose residents as locals move interstate to places, such as Melbourne. If I was a young person in Sydney I know I certainly would be making a move interstate to somewhere more affordable. Perth boomed on the back of the mining boom, population growth, and interstate migration. Now that residents are moving back we’ve seen increased vacancies, and capital growth coming to a standstill. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sydney goes through a similar correction, particularly with population growth slowing and APRA/foreign investment scrutiny. Just my 2 cents.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

On what basis do you think adelaide will post the same CG as brisbane? Brisbane's fundamentals are significantly better than adelaides and are improving at a rate significantly more than adelaide.

Sackie likes this.
  13. Adele

Adele Well-Known Member

Sydney 4-6%
    Melb 10-12%
    Brisbane 7-9%

Don't watch the other markets enough to comment.

Sackie likes this.
  14. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Daily Indices | CoreLogic RP Data

On a quarter by quarter basis Brisbane hasn't gone anywhere, whilst Adelaide has risen. On a year on year basis Brisbane has only outperformed Adelaide by 1%. This is despite SA having the highest unemployment rate in the country. Only time will tell.

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Just yesterday or the day before was there an article thhqt showed bris rising 14 consecutive quarters.
    Look at yip reports (i belive they too use rpdata) to see evidence of this.

16. Cruskits

Cruskits Well-Known Member

Sydney: -14%
    Melbourne: -8%
    Brisbane: 16%
    Adelaide: 15%
    Hobart: 20%
    Perth: 6%

It was hard typing in these... goes against what I really think. Maybe I'll get one right :)

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hehe... you already have Melb wrong, its currently top performer for 2016:p

18. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I'm happy for that prediction to be wrong as I have a bigger asset base in Brisbane but the 2 cities growth has been remarkably similar over the last 15 years including last year.

Some inner/middle ring suburbs especially on the southside have grown 20% in 2 years no doubt.

I agree that the economic fundamentals are different but it's not that simple IMO. What might hold Brisbane back from out performing is the massive amount of new supply coming on line. Most of this is in the form of new unit blocks, a drive around the cbd and inner city suburbs is telling. A building boom is taking place, how this plays out is yet to be determined.
    The positives are unemployment falling and I think we will see a pick up in population growth, interstate migration will most likely pick up. Thats how the previous boom in 03 played out. The unknown is what effects APRA changes have on potential interstate investor's.
    I think 4% is at the lower end of expectations but I'll be happy if it's wrong.

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2016
  19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I think the quarterly index has some value and the yearly figures but the daily figures... I don't know why RPData does this? Its not the stockmarket.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

For me...the predictions of how much each city may grow is not really as important as how specific suburbs are doing and how they may grow in value and then identifying opportunity this way. There are areas within all these cities that will outperform and underperform different areas within their own cities and when compared to other cities. So while Adelaide may see a 5% increase and Brisbane 3.4 just as an example, a suburb in Brisbane may see 15% increase compared to a suburb in Adelaide that may see 3%.

Just my opinion.

Gypsyblood and JDP1 like this.