Education & Work Forced to work overnights

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Manager called me in and apologized for his email. And changed his tune about the shifts and said they would be negotiable.

So thats good that he apologized.

I wonder if I should wait it out now and see if I should stay. Or if its just a matter of time before he loses his **** at me again.

Propagate and Gockie like this.
  2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Why don't you find out? You'd be amazed what can be achieved over a cup of coffee...

wylie likes this.
  3. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Well now that you have him bent over you might as well ask for a pay rise while you're at it!

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Haha such great advice. Im sure that would go down well.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What a pleasant surprise. I wonder what made him apologise?

Anyway, I'd say to him you are very open to negotiating to get a win/win and see how that conversation unfolds. He has extended the invitation to negotiate. Good luck, but if things don't work out, I'd definitely hold off the couple of months to get that LSL.

... and I know how hard that could be. I went to work five years ago and was warned that the manager was a loony. I thought "how bad can she be?" LOL... she nearly broke me. I nearly quit but I loved my casual job. Five years later, she'd changed her meds I think and I went from not being able to even be in the same room as her without feeling nauseous to actually thinking she is ok.

KayTea, HUGH72, Propagate and 2 others like this.
  6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Tim86, tell him to GFH, and that you'd like his thoughts on both a pay rise (it's not his money) and a 6 week break (just like he's been on), and if he says no, ask him if he's really really sure...

7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

your manager sounds like an absolute tool but between needing to check with Internet randoms as well as your union reps before you take any action and the bollywood dramas of your soul being destroyed and your body shaking etc you hardly sound like the most valuable employee either.

I'm sure your fellow overworked and equally as irritated colleagues will greatly appreciate you considering taking night shifts, thinking they have a brief reprieve and then quitting.

sorry if that sounds harsh, just how it looks from here.

Bran and lewy89 like this.
  8. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree night shifts suck massively and I hate them more than anything, I will still do my part so that other people on the roster don't end up doing double as many.

I struggle to sleep during the day, getting an hour or hour and and a half at MOST so I regularly go 60-72 hours with less than 3 hours sleep... and I am in a VERY safety critical job. Our night shifts are from 0930 - 0600 without a break.

I knew the job was going to be shift work before I applied, so I can't very well complain about it now can I?
    It's like people joining the army then complain if they have to go to war...

9. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Well, yes and no. Different people handle disruptive sleep patterns/shift work differently. I'm not saying they're great, but some people can accommodate them better than others. Sometimes the first time you realise this is when you have a job with shifts, and you just never adjust to it. While hindsight is 20/20, it's not always easy to predict how you will function on shifts.

I personally couldn't do it - I need my sleep. If I don't get regular hours etc my depression becomes almost unmanageable. But I know this having worked shift work - and that wasn't even overnight.

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I don't get the shaking either. I did around 140 hours last week (didn't exactly count), including not sleeping at all since a couple of hours Saturday night. Plus I have another 24 hours on call. I'm hoping to sneak a nap this morning, but frankly I have too much to do. I would NOT do this if I had a reasonable choice. It's brutal, and makes me hate life.

Anyway, do what's right for you. I hate working nights so I get it.

Tim86 likes this.
  11. Glorion

Glorion Well-Known Member

You would be surprised what it's like working on the phones as a counselor. The stuff you deal with, no person should. It's easy to sit there on your high horse and criticize. Some people are better suited to the night shifts and whether that's due to their lifestyle, resilience or other factors, that's beside the point.

The OP has explained that he doesn't feel comfortable with it, and that it would greatly impact his own mental wellbeing. In this line of work, it isn't a suck it up princess, you need to be there 100%, because no matter how you're feeling, the person on the end is in a vulnerable situation. For a manager to disregard these feelings just shows gross negligence on his behalf. Probably spent some time on the phones, couldn't hack it and went up the chain...

738, JenW, HUGH72 and 3 others like this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So what if all staff hate night shift?
    Presumably someone has to do it.
    Marg

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Tell them to call you back in the morning, oh maybe they won't.

14. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

...and I hate it when the office opens at 9am...too early.
    930 is a better time I think:)

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lots of people prefer it and they used to pick up the shifts. Then they were told they could no longer start at hours that suited them better. Such as a 11pm start rather than a 10pm start. So the rosters got less flexible. Then they singled out only the night shift workers to have all their calls recorded. Then they pulled the night shift workers off 50% of their nights. Then they pulled night shift workers off of their nights completely after 6 month stints.

So all the people that wanted to do night shifts could no longer do as many night shifts as they wanted to do. And they felt vitimized by being the only ones being recorded. Then they felt undervalued because work would no longer give them flexibility with their nightshift start times. Then they were forced to cut half their night shifts. Then they were forced to drop them completely.

So a lot of the overnighters quit or dropped them completely because they couldnt be bothered getting stuffed around any more.

Marg4000 likes this.
  16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Manager never worked on the phones. Doesnt understand the work or value the employees doing it. He just doesnt get it. Alas thats just the way it is when you make a lawyer the manager of counsellors. Although with some interactions Ive heard him having with some people. I think he does get it some times. But obviously his leaning is much more focussed on the bottom line rather than employee wellbeing. And admittedly a good dose of that is needed in the role.

I dont get drained from the calls where you deal with people with actual problems like being sexually abused or about to jump off a bridge etc... I take those sorts of calls every week. The issue for me is being exhausted while trying to help these people. You screw up a call with a kid trying to disclose sexual abuse and they will think you dont understand or cant support so they shut up and might not disclose again for years. Lots of potential for harm.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2016
    wylie likes this.
  17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Uh huh. Taken night shifts before to help out. With the understanding that later on it would be someone elses turn to chip in. Why did I think that? Because my manager said it to me. Right now I dont really want to be getting no sleep while trying to build my house 9.5m off of the ground.

Not a valuable employee. Sure whatever you reckon mate. Im very good at my job. And I consistently meet all my benchmarks day in day out for year after year. Ive done about 5000 counselling sessions with children in that job. Pretty worthless hey?

18. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yoire getting emotional again. I never said you werent good at your job, based on your posts here in the past i definitely think theres a good chance you would be, i said you dont sound like definitely the best employee either.

theres a big difference between me saying that and you coming up with the word worthless and imo being good at a job or the specific tasks in a job and being a good employee are 2 separate things.

Anyway i was just trying to provide constructive criticism where it clearly wasnt wanted so ill leave you to it, hope it works out.

Marg4000 likes this.
  19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Edit my big amazing response deleted :)

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2016
  20. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Actually nevermind. I dont think anything good is going to come from debating what constitutes a good employee sanj. Too many variables to accurately communicate over the internet. Im sure you've got valid opinions on the matter, and if you walked in my shoes a bit you'd probably understand where Im coming from a bit better too.

Probably best to leave this thread to fizzle out. Thanks everyone for your responses and guidance. Ill see how it all plays out. Not 100% sure what Ill do. But Ive taken on a lot of your feedback and Ive got lots of plan b's and c's so it should all be right.

WattleIdo likes this.