Education & Work Forced to work overnights

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Can you start looking for a new job? Then tell them to shove it where sun doesn't shine

shimmy likes this.
  2. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

Yep, that strategy has always worked for me

3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'd be lining up a plan b c and D if it were me. Usually changes like this are indicative of something fundamentally wrong. Theyre Changing shifts because people are leaving. Then when they implement them, they have no consideration for the people who have to work them.....Changing shifts sometimes has to be done...we all get that, but you've got to keep the team happy...or you no longer have a team.

Something more fundamental is broken here. I'd be working on my exit plan.

bob shovel, EN710, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  4. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I'm with hammer....time to start investigating other options.
    Best of luck with it Tim86. Sounds like a sucky situation :(

shimmy likes this.
  5. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

This is probably intentional - many states have a requirement of a full 24 hours off after working 7 days for shiftworkers. Most places normally do this by swapping from days to nights (or vice versa). So 7 nightshifts, followed by 7 dayshifts. To be honest though, 8 hours shifts - surely you'll be ok? As you have identified you might have to be a little more flexible with your bedtime - I'm pretty confident by the end of the 64 hour period you won't have any issues falling asleep :)

I would be pushing them to try and be more consistent with their rostered shifts (ie 4 lates in a row, followed by 4 earlies; rather than all over the place). Try to work with them and you might have some success.

Tim86 and 158 like this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You already work weekends and work til 12 am. I would say you're flexible enough. There will be a mass exodus which will either make things better or worse. Stand-by and stay cool or get the hell out of there with everyone else.
    How some people get into those positions, I just don't know but they ruin it for everyone.

Tim86, HUGH72 and shimmy like this.
  7. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

go on stress leave

Barny, Tim86 and jim1964 like this.
  8. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Earlier this year our family had to adjust to major shift changes so I understand your predicament. In our situ these changes were very much strategized and included a successful propaganda campaign during EBA negotiations which left employees 10% worse off per annum and losing weekends.
    You need an exit plan if you don't have one. Keep on working, take the pay cheque, take the sick day if you are exhausted, get your ducks in a row and prepare to hear them quack loudly when you walk out.
    I also think some industries very much abuse peoples good natures, particularly those in roles helping children. Most employees don't want to let the kids who need the support down. Some employers capitalise on this unfortunately.

Propagate, EN710 and Gockie like this.
  9. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

When an organization wants to reduce staff, they find their weakness, then hammer it..............

Tim86, hammer and bob shovel like this.
  10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

People in tears over a roster? A bit extreme !

That beibg said. Ive done shift work when i was young and i didnt like it.

There are studies saying that shift work is very unhealthy, even if you are in a routine.

I felt my health get worse when i did it.

Unless its against your contract or company policy. All you can do is refuse or mass protest and if people are still willijg to accept it then all you can do is threaten to resign or resign.

Unfortunately, in my exprurience. Unless you are the onky person for the job . There is not much you can do . Other than having a sit down with this manager or their manager.

Youll get a rough iddlea of what they are thinking pretty quickly

Tim86 likes this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I find that many companies either dont know or dont apprciate the implications of such an extreme policy change.

Maybe they feel staff will just suck it up

Maybe they feel its not a big deal

If they insist. The only option i can think of is changing jobs. However if there are no jobs out there or you are severely overpaid, then its take it or leave it (sorry to sound harsh)

I quit my job when i was doing shiftwork. As everyon else was handling it better than me

Tim86 likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Its better to have staff leave than make them redundant. Much cheaper.

wylie, TMNT, Tim86 and 2 others like this.
  13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I think they want to get rid of people that have been here a while. We cost about $5 an hour more than newbies. We get long service leave aftee 5 years which they have to keep paying. And we complain more. Because newbies dont come in on the first day and go to the manager and point out what they arent doing right.

So lots of incentive to force us long termers out the door.

The plan is to ***** about my roster. And see if I can get some adjustments. In the meantime Im going to finish my current building project and look at lining things up so I can refinance and access about $300000+ from equity before I quit. And if possible maybe line up another building project and go straight into that after leaving here.

Get all those ducks in a row and if the ship is still sinking at that point I will jump.

chylld, vbplease, Propagate and 7 others like this.
  14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Good plan.

bob shovel likes this.
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Treat em mean, keep em keen ;)

The newbs won't know any better but the cash cows will spit it and leave.

Your job is to play their game and get them every time they do something wrong eg 10hrs between shifts, meal allowances, crib breaks, work station ergonomics training whatever you are entitled to, be onto it... then fall down the stairs before your ready to quit ;)

Tim86 likes this.
  16. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Your manager sounds like a bit of d*** but at least you have a job and are posting on a investment forum so obviously have made some money from said job.

As DT said was it in your contract?

Sounds like you are having a bit of whinge mate.

Toughen up or look for a new job. Not much people on here can do for you

17. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

He's got a right to whinge in my book and he is posting in the living room forum so why not raise it here and try and get some advice or support.

Archaic working conditions that put workers lives at risk is not on. There are laws to protect workers terms and conditions of employment and why should we accept 3rd world conditions.

Here is a little bit of copy and paste from the Worksafe QLD link that I posted previously:

"...Shiftwork
    Ensure the roster provides for a continuous 7 to 8 hours sleep in each 24 hours, and at least 50 hours sleep for every seven days.

If on a rotating three shift roster system, forward rotation (day, afternoon to night shifts) is tolerated better.

• Limit number of consecutive night shifts to four to minimise accident risk.
    • End night shifts by 8am.
    • Ensure there is a minimum of 12 hours between consecutive shifts.
    • Ensure that roster allows for at least two full nights sleep after the last night shift.
    • Allow short naps of no longer than 15–20 minutes if it fits in with the type of work that is being done.
    • Consider whether 12 hour night shifts are really necessary.
    • Use additional control measures, such as two hourly breaks of at least 5 to 10 minutes duration.
    • Have a room for workers to sleep before commuting home.
    • Encourage healthy eating at work and provide access to healthy food options at work to minimise health risks..."
    So I would advise the OP to bring this information to the attention of the Union rep when he/she comes on site to discuss and explain to the workers.

Furthermore, the National Employment Conditions that are relevant to all workers in Australia, lay out the minimum condtions of employment. In there if a worker's terms and conditions are changed then they must be consulted with prior to the changes occurring.

There is also further information availabe.

bob shovel, Gockie, wylie and 2 others like this.
  18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Cool thing about this place is you can have a bit of a whinge and then sometimes get some awesome advice on top of it. Cheapest therapy out there in my book.

inertia, JenW, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Ill definitely be using this.

shimmy likes this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe many nurses cop this rapid change from night to day shifts and I have never understood how they manage it. Can you approach someone or even the unions. You are supposed to be able to function and even if you could get some decent sleep, those shift changes must really upset the sleep cycles.

Tim86 likes this.