I was going to wait until the dust settled, but then I thought stuff it, you lot might "enjoy" the journey with me. So we have been renting from family for almost 6 years. When we moved in, we had just moved home to Newcastle and the plan was to rent for maybe a year, then buy a place to live in. We did end up buying a place, but it already had tenants in there paying decent rent, so we figured we may as well stay where we are. I am not particularly happy with the house we are renting - 5 people in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, run down house is a bit much - but the rent is (super!) cheap, the location is awesome, we are living next to (nice!) family on one side, and awesome neighbours with kids the same age as ours on the other. Apart from the [email protected]&^y house, idyllic really. I was keen to move at some point, but my wife is less motivated by physical surrounds, and would have lived there indefinitely. I have been keeping an eye on property, researching, researching, researching, while we have been saving money and our IP has been appreciating (we somehow managed to buy in what in hindsight was a slump in the market!). And as coincidence would have it, a house in the street behind us came up for auction. Very nice, probably more renovated than I'd like, but we got the finance ball rolling in a very low-pressure way. Just going through the necessary steps to get our ducks in a row, and if approval came through in time for the auction, and the house went for a bargain, then jolly good! Then our situation changed. There was talk about the inlaws' parents eventually moving in to where we are renting, but the parents had always been disinclined. Until about 2 weeks ago. We have not been given notice, and certainly no pressure to move, but our "limitless" tenancy now has a definite limit. So, we will have to move. Our interest in the property in the street behind went from dis-interested, logical, investment potential, to emotional. Potentially bad! Fortunately we are pretty sensible people (mostly!) so we wont go crazy on price, and as a worst case scenario, we can move in to our current IP - but it is a whole 700m further away from school! Our biggest drama at the moment is how close our kids are with the neighbours kids - being able to jump the fence back and forth has been priceless, it feels like they are having an old-school neghbourhood experience! Anyway, finance is approved up to our sensible limit. The auction is tomorrow morning. Barring Sydney money coming up and being silly, I think we are in with a shot. If we miss out, so be it, we will buy a few cheaper IPs instead! I'll update y'all tomorrow! Cheers, Inertia.