Forced into early retirement, considering investing in serviced apartments to generate cash flow

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by CDizz, 17th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CDizz

CDizz Well-Known Member

Thanks, ok, I'll give it a couple of years then

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Don't forget it could go down in value too. But have a look at some of the graphs in the LICs threads of what happened to dividends when there were dramatic drops in the value of the sharemarkets.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If the threads are too long to read... the answer is..... these are great times to accumulate shares. Dividends hold up reasonably well but prices drop. Therefore yields improve... ;)

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Comsec has now introduced $10 for trades up to $1000.

The Y-man

Redwing likes this.
  5. The Y-man

Most listed instruments pay half-yearly, so again you need to manage "lumpy" payments.

The Y-man

6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="tobe, post: 567067, member: 23"

id think about using your offset funds (re-borrowing) to purchase shares, and even consider a margin loan. There’s no income to claim against now, but there may be in the future if everything goes well.[/QUOTE]

Terrible advice for someone who has little knowledge of stock market and no income to take on margin loan

It could destroyed him with margin call

Angel likes this.
  7. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Correct that the LIC threads are long but I read all of them & lots of good stuff,but a more simplified blog is 'Strong Money Australia',well worth the read for Cdizz.Also CMC Markets is $10 per trade.

Chris Au likes this.
  8. CDizz

CDizz Well-Known Member

Good stuff, I'll add it to my reading list

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I put 100K of play money into AFI, BKI, CIN and WAM in late 2016. So far the results are underwhelming. AFI has done OK. The rest are ordinary.

AFI is up 8.73% after accounting for growth and full participation in dividend reinvestment
    BKI is up 0.28% after accounting for growth and full participation in dividend reinvestment
    CIN is up 2.11% after accounting for growth and full participation in dividend reinvestment
    WAM is up 3.08% after accounting for growth and full participation in dividend reinvestment

Meanwhile, dual occ values are up 70K upon revaluation - that represents growth of @ 12% and dual occ rents are up 11% in the same period ( 1 year)

Historically, I recognise that these things tend to average out to similar results over 10,15,20 year periods. My point is simply that right now dual occs are seriously outperforming...

Kassy likes this.
  10. The Y-man

I misread that as 10 thousand year periods... :D

The Y-man

11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

I enjoy being alive and all, but 10,000 years ? I think Id get a little bit bored :)

12. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Terrible advice for someone who has little knowledge of stock market and no income to take on margin loan

It could destroyed him with margin call[/QUOTE]
    Lucky we both aren’t financial advisers then innit?

I wasn’t suggesting he use all his savings, his offset funds and a margin loan,

I was suggesting instead of using his cash, he gears. More tax effective. with $500k invested and $30k income he would be paying payg tax. Using borrowed funds means there’s less tax payable as he can claim the interest paid plus he’s got the funds he hasn’t used still in the bank earning interest and SANF.

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2018
  13. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Are you sure the yield improves on your investment if the SP drops lower than your purchase price?

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The dividends don't change so much... they usually go up each year if you bought well. When the share price that has dropped but the company hasn't essentially changed then dividend yield tends to be better. It's a buying opportunity. Then the share price should later bounce back as sentiment changes.

15. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Of course yields go up if share price drops, your buy in point wont change the mathematics. It is ROR that is important there is often an inverse relationship with yield, yields increase as total returns decrease.

16. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Vanguard website too. One of the pre mixed wholesale funds could do the job for you with low fees and paid by b pay. Not advice, I don't know you but it's a simple place to start.

17. CDizz

CDizz Well-Known Member

Thanks yeah, I've been looking at vanguard

18. CDizz

CDizz Well-Known Member

Lucky we both aren’t financial advisers then innit?

I wasn’t suggesting he use all his savings, his offset funds and a margin loan,

I was suggesting instead of using his cash, he gears. More tax effective. with $500k invested and $30k income he would be paying payg tax. Using borrowed funds means there’s less tax payable as he can claim the interest paid plus he’s got the funds he hasn’t used still in the bank earning interest and SANF.[/QUOTE]

So what would the cash/offset split be to make up the 500k?

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yield wont change if you own the share unless the income goes up/down. I see loads of older retirees with CBA who would not consider selling at $89 or $35 if that happens....They bought at $2.60 and get an annual div of $6.14 after franking....236% return annually.

And they wont sell for fear of the CGT impact. They intend to die with CBA shares.

Each investors position will influence actual yield. Yield for a potential buyer is a different matter

Nodrog, Hosko and Ben_j like this.
  20. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how you calculate yield. Warren calculates on the original purchase price. Smarter people calculate on current valuation....