VIC For those Active in the Melbourne market....Is Melbourne cooling ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by See Change, 4th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

what is happening in Melbourne following the APRA changes ?

Poll closed 25th Nov, 2015.
  1. No change , market still strong

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Markets cooled slightly , but still going quite strongly

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Definitely cooler , though good properties still selling well

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Much cooler , everything's taking longer to sell and the lesser properties are just sitting there

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Market ... What market ?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No idea , I don't watch Melbourne .....

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. bernardblack

bernardblack Active Member

Why St Albans?

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I mentioned above have sold 3 of my townhouses and only 1 left but may keep this one.
    Never heard about the fatality, if the market crashed due to this then holy hell we are all in deep sh$t:p

3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I'm watching the North West very closely as I'm currently going to sell in it. I think it is cooling a bit, each Sunday I check aucrion results and noticing a lot more "Passed in Vendor Bid".
    2 months ago I never saw that, EVERYTHING was selling.
    Those that do sell though are still selling well.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

When you say Northwest which area are you refering to?

5. HappyCamper

HappyCamper Well-Known Member

This location, amongst others, just fits into my strategy. Sorry I don't want to divulge more as I'm still looking to buy.

6. 738

738 Well-Known Member

I work in real estate in the inner north Carlton, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Northcote, Brunswick and surrounding areas.​

7. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, I'm seeing more stock on the market . Not counting CBD apartments. First home buyers and investor below 350K are quite active in outer south east and Melbourne West. Demand is still strong in Vermont, Waverley and Springvale, Rowville and Footscray, Yarraville, thomastown and Epping areas.

8. albanga

Hey Sash,
    North West referring to Essendon, Niddrie, Airport West, Keilor East.
    Admittedly that is only a small percent of the North West but the market I am concentrated on.

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes...nice...I am presuming they have moved quite a bit already.....particularly Essendon?

10. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Im active in Essendon as well .... properties are passing in because agents and vendors are asking for $200k more than same properties were selling for 5 months ago .... the only ones buying now are the uneducated

11. albanga

Yeah prices have moved quite considerably. Essendon though is a really tough suburb to gauge due to the diversity in the home designs and also the council is much more conservative with development in that area.
    Whilst in APW, Niddrie and EK every decent block is being snapped up by developers that is not the case in Essendon. It makes it a lot harder to predict what someone who is emotionally attached to a property is willing to pay.

12. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Interesting topic...
    I have two opinions on this:
    1) There are some properties which have been on the market for quiet some time. This is simply because the asking price is to high...
    2) You only need one buyer to buy a home... and I am still seeing that in the market place...

I also think the market creates some sort of fake perception.. when the market looked busy in terms of people going to opens in huge number people think the market must be hot.

13. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Perfect example but I would not say people buying now are not educated there are some people who need a place to live... so they will pay for what they want...

14. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

I guess it is cooling for the apartment type not for a house or townhouse yet.

Bastiat likes this.
  15. Bastiat

Bastiat Member

Managed to sell an apartment in Frankston in the last month (took about a month and a half) but only at a reasonable price and less than I could have got earlier in the Year with a bit of hysteria about. Houses still selling but slowing down. Heat coming out of the market for sure.

Tekoz likes this.
  16. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

71% clearance rate this weekend. Up from 68% last weekend. Melbourne still holding.

REIV - Auction Results

Perthguy and Tekoz like this.
  17. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Is this observation specific to Frankston and the surrounding suburbs? How's the yield and why did you want to sell? I'm just curious.

18. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

After Melbourne cup weekend and usual low volume, I would actually take that as a fairly tepid bounce back . Looks like 10% down for auction too on last year, which indicates vendors are less likely to be chasing high expectations.

TOTAL AUCTIONS
    This week: 931
    Last weekend: 527
    This time last year: 1030

19. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

I received this summary of October (mass mailout) from a global agent that deals in commercial, residential, hotels, investment and development sites. They have 400 offices in 60 countries. This summary is specifically about the Melbourne market.

"Of late, we are noticing a significant shift from buyers who are wanting to aggressively participate in acquiring properties at Public Auctions. Our team will be monitoring this over the coming weeks and will keep you informed.

On another note, we are witnessing a genuine surge in interest from Chinese buyers, this interest is being experienced across the board, from investment properties to development sites.

We would be pleased as always to hear from you in relation to any specific questions you have about your assets or general questions about the current Victorian Commercial Property Landscape".

Xenia and Tekoz like this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

953 auctions reported is up from last weekend too.

Xenia likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia