For the positive cash flow buffs

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Sackie, 2nd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

House, Gingin, Lenny and 3 others like this.
  2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Thanks Leo, Sometimes I think talking about cashflow is a dirty word on here :rolleyes:

ellejay, Sackie and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  3. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Sackie likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi @HUGH72 ,

I know what you mean mate. Look, personally I think cash flow is important with regards to its role in supporting the investor to hold the property while waiting for the eventual CG of an investment. That's what's going to build the wealth and make the difference, the growth. I think most of the investors here are savvy and understand this but outside of here its amazing how many people on great incomes will look for cash flow positive properties at the expense of everything else. in all sorts of areas and markets just so they can say " I got a cashflow positive property", without really understanding what it means and how it will affect them building their portfolio. I'm not anti cash flow at all. I just prefer to use it in a way that aids my wealth acceleration and not hinders it.

5. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Hang around more. Where we are now reminds me of Somersoft in the early-mid 2000's. Back then it was was all capital growth or GTFO, cashflow is for sheila's!!! A few years later people were more concentrating on cashflow as rates went up and prices went side ways for what seemed like an eternity. The tone and conversations around cashflow importance shifted.

Gladys and ellejay like this.
  7. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    APRA's recent little disruption of the credit free for all will drive a rethink towards cash flow ... One APRA will interestingly enough result in another APRA ie Accelerated Principal Reduction Approach :)

Sonamic likes this.
  8. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Really?

I don't work in the real estate industry but most people I know just buy property based on location and don't care how much it costs for them to hold it. E.g. one of my mates bought a property recently for 685k and he'll be renting it out for $450. I asked him why he purchased that house in that area and he just said he likes the area.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Recently quite a few people I have spoken too are all asking me where to buy positive cash flow property.. some end up quoting its been recommend by this article or this book etc... I hear that a lot these days...and I know they are on good incomes etc.. I do also get some people who come to me saying they want to buy NG properties because they were told its a great way to reduce their tax....:mad::eek: don't know whether to laugh or cry..

Pentanol and Gladys like this.
  10. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Pretty hard to find anything cash flow positive in Sydney atm. I've never really understood the negative gear to reduce tax idea as well. It should be about investing not on how to minimise the most tax otherwise you may as well just donate it to charity:)

Sackie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep I agree with you. I think any tax benefits is just a small bonus, but should never be the primary objective imo.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Leo, I'll take a look.
    By the way, I'm a big fan of CF+ too.

13. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Negative gearing can give positive cash flow, it is done so you don't have to donate to the government, or so you do have some extra funds for investing or to donate to charity if you wish. I don't understand why any-body would pay more than 30% tax and have the compounding opportunity costs forever. Getting tax back for depreciation on a property that is going up in value seems like a smart thing to do for me. Having Negative cash flow properties may be a different story.

Gladys likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

np. I'm really only a fan of it to the extent it lets me hold on for growth, I'm not really interested in $10 a week here and $20 there...

15. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Depending on which month's magazine a brand new investor has pulled off the rack they will ring up wanting one or the other. It takes time to clarify goals, and when someone actually knows what they want over a realistic timeframe the property types to purchase get clearer. Sometimes it is a bit of both. I tend to view cash flow as a portfolio wide issue.

Jess Peletier and Sackie like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

btw I just had a double take when I looked at the name of your website.....precium.....:D

Mick Butterfield likes this.
  17. BuyersAgent

:rolleyes:some people... its latin. its pronounced pre-see-um. I did wonder if that would be a problem in the beginning.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

yeah some people..tell me about it :rolleyes::D what does it mean?

19. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Great little resource there Leo. Thanks heaps.

Sackie likes this.
  20. BuyersAgent

Latin. N. (прециум)
    Value | Redemption | Reward

Sackie likes this.