For duplex where to invest?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Elara, 13th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elara

Elara New Member

I have been following this group for a long time and always appreciate the knowledge people share here. I would like to get some advice on the market.
    I have recently started a duplex project in Newcastle as my first investment property. I am looking for my second duplex property but really confused about the area. I would prefer an area where the government is investing in infrastructure in another market than NSW. After talking to lots of investment agents it seems dual occs in Brisbane is really popular but I feel the market is over-saturated now, also I am not confident with capital gain from this type of investments. Rather I would prefer building duplex where I can build equity and have good rental yield.
    I would appreciate your suggestion on the area where building a duplex would be a good option and provide me with substantial rental yield as well as build equity.
    Also, feel free to share your thoughts on dual occs in Queensland.

2. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi, with duplexes you have to be really careful in South East QLD. Unfortunately Brisbane City Council don't like them so you wouldn't be able to get one through council so that really on leaves you with Logan, Gold Coast and the Moreton Bay Region.

Depending on what your budget is you could potentially get a rooming accommodation property in Brisbane. e.g purchase price: $900k in total with a rent return of $1500 per week See this video

If you choose to get a duplex in Logan, Gold Coast or the Moreton Bay Region you end up spending around $600k on land and build in a street and location with medium house prices below $500k. What that means is that resale is really bad. You could use that money to purchase a property within 12km of the CBD with a yield of 4.5%. You could get a property that you could create a 4th room or just hold the land. You'll get far better capital growth over the next 10 years.

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

What's your strategy, build and sell for profit or build and hold for rental yield?

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

See the posts by @euro73

The Y-man

5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Granny Flats are often recommended in Logan for those places with zoning etc.

The aux dwellings can be nicer than the exisitng place!

Not exactly duplex, but might be worth considering

craigc likes this.
  6. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

could you share which builder did you use for duplex at Newcastle? I am looking for cheap budget builders. thank you

7. Adam Garside

Adam Garside New Member

Hi Elara, where are you building the Duplex project in Newcastle? I am looking at investing around the Maitland area