Food Trailer on Commercial Property - Brisbane

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Wilfred, 29th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wilfred

Wilfred New Member

Hi All,

I'm a newbie seeking some informative input from the community. My partner and I are looking to run a food trailer business on my Boss's property (Commercial Dwelling). The land consists of various warehousing facilities but we only need as little as 9 square metres. What other additional costs could he factor in to charge more if things do go to plan. I have thought about running our own power through inverters, but ideally we would like to maintain a permanent spot on the block and use power from work.

We want to propose a 6 month lease and renew for longer thereafter if the position becomes attractive long term. If you could put yourself in my position how would you go about implementing such an idea?. I have worked at this location for almost 10years and have seen an influx of potential customers eg. Truck drivers, contractors and staff. Any information to help me pump some money back into our broken economy would be greatly appreciated.

regards Wilfred

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

DA approval from local council? it costs ... :)

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Tenure - does he have the power to sub-lease? ie does he own the property or is he leasing it?

Have you considered a licence agreement rather than a lease?

How will you get power? Eg separately metered supply? How much power do you need?

What equipment are you using? Salamander or clamshell grilles, cooktops or hot plates, turbo oven, pie warmer, espresso machine, cold and hot water supply, dishwasher, solid waste disposal, grease waste, lighting etc.

What power do they require? Are any of them able to use LPG gas?

Do they require exhaust?

4. Wilfred

Wilfred New Member

I really appreciate this info guys.

Design application noted.
    I can confirm my boss owns the land, he is currently leasing parts of the land to some mid tier transport companies, the land in which we are looking at has not been used for almost 20years.
    We will be looking to use our own power (petrol inverters) in the beginning as we will also be testing our killowatt usage from home using test devices on the outlets. This will be to get a better idea of how much power will be using off the grid at work.

Machines in use:
    Griddle with toaster
    Small deep fryer
    Coffee machine preinstalled
    Square, tap n pay
    Commercial fridge
    Pre installed hot water system
    We also have a rangehood installed
    And all outlets and trailer safety certified..

My thoughts at the moment are how do I pitch my business idea to my boss, without conflict of interest. There are food venues around but safety is a big concern for workers to commute to, as its really out of their way. I've always been taught no questions no answers. But I'm also a bit nervous. I'm doing this also so our kids can take part and play their role In our family business . Thoughts anyone ??

5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Seek out permission and terms with your boss.
    Discuss with your solicitor VIP
    Lodge Development Application with Council

Good luck!

6. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Hot water supply?

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

On my route to work I have seen some come and go. Council take exception to traffic, parking and entry on and off the main road and van must be on a roadway / carpark and not on grass etc. One appears and another (illegally tries to copy) and it soon get moved on. Speaking to council before making it formal may help. Look for a similiar (successful) van and search for its DA