FOMO and Home Ownership

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by sash, 11th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I agree that if you have adequate buffers in place then its still ok to buy.
    Im just trying to improve servicibility, it was the only thing stopping me from buying last year but im looking for a PPOR not an investment.

I dont see how prices can sky rocket again as they have previously though, interest rates and wage growth are low so what will drive the price up in this current economic environment?
    Only thing i can think of is first home buyer incentives.

2. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

as a 33 year old, tbh i only bought my home because my lazy arse cbf looking for houses every few months or years and dont like people telling me what to do, while my partner and mom like the security of their own home

when it comes to investment, shares beat property almost anytime anywhere, only difference is property is much easier to leverage.

when it comes to judging people,

just remember 80 : 20 rule

3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Can of worm posts :p
    For every 50 people that think shares are better, 50 people will say property is better.

I like both!
    However last time I checked, I couldn’t subdivide a share and build on it and make a quick few hundred k like I’ve done....just a thought.

4. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

I like both too!

You also can't sell 10% of your property...
    Or routinely purchase small parcels.

They are different investments for different strategies. A good portfolio needs both.

Also a well located PPOR in Syd or Mel has been one of the best performing investments over the decades thanks to zero CGT.

bookworm, Silverson, Bunbury and 4 others like this.
  5. croseks

croseks Well-Known Member

I think what you wanted to say is; 'if you have over $1M in cash' shares beat property almost anytime anywhere.

If you only have $100k, property is the name of the game.

It shouldn't be one is better than the other, they both have their pros and cons for different stages of investment. Property is easier to finance and hence better early on, shares provide a better return but you need money behind you to really take advantage of that

6. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

Rates will go up eventually. Who knows when. We need inflation and global growth which is not happening.

Maybe improved technologies, automation, AI, crypto, space exploration will kick start the next growth cycle and will cause rates to rise.

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

AI is going to do the exact opposite I’m afraid.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  8. Maximus

9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

10. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Might be a good time to buy a cheap 2 bed if there's already this much demand.

Isn't Ashfield in the flight path for planes coming into Sydney airport? Every time I'm there you hear the lound rumble on an interval of about 4-5 minutes.

11. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

Great location and 15mins to CBD... but holy **** that's a result.

12. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

To be fair it's 300m from Ashfield station, and 126m2 on title makes it a large sized unit. Strata might be low due to it being a yellow brick walk up. A fair price in today's hot market.

13. Maximus

It is a large unit for sure but it needs a reno as its quite dated. Cant really compare without specifics but this unit is close the station and sold same day for 271k less, my guess is FHB emotionally panic bidding at their first auction.
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-unit-nsw-ashfield-132838550

Brickbybrick likes this.
  14. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Wow hard to justify 271k difference, maybe 100-150k difference. The cheaper one is further out, older building from the look of it, smaller, and car space instead of LUG. These points might be worth up to 150k. Maybe the older one has some strata issues.