Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Follow your Passion?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 12th May, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

Heard this a million times, it actually grates on my nerves.....

....... Follow your passion and the money will follow you?

The reality is most people have no clue what their passion is?

Of course then there is that old chestnut, who is going to pay the bills.

Back to following your passion, sometimes it can just be an accident, I started buying and learning about property 9 years ago and now its my passion and the money does follow.

Anyone got a story to share? Have you found your passion and it does not have to be anything whatsoever to do with property or making money

MTR:)

Northy85 and TaylorChang like this.
  2. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

Agree with the sentiment completely.

However, there has to be a demand component too. No good having a passion in basket weaving if no one has any baskets.

MTR likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Only applicable when the passion can be monetised... and if you're really passionate about it, you will do it with or without pay in the end.

I am passionate about making myself not needing to go to work full time... does that count?

RM1827, Xenia, MRO and 1 other person like this.
  4. MTR

You can try, reduce your hours perhaps as a starter??, sounds hard right? not necessarily for some.

I know someone who is giving up their day job now because they have generated enough money from CG/investments, not income, and pursuing their passion which in turn will generate income.

The capital they made allows them to take the next step. Is it risky? I don't think? but probably most will because most people would never take the next step, its very difficult for everyone to step outside their comfort zone.

Probably also if in a relationship you would need a partner that supports and believes in you I guess to make it work??

Xenia and EN710 like this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

That's the plan once there is enough investment income to cover daily cost :) Right now feel so far away...

What I'm thinking for next year is if I can find employer that open to let me work from home (which is totally doable in my industry). Fingers crossed

Xenia and MTR like this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's something worth being passionate about.
    The trick is to find a hobby that makes you money I guess.

MTR and EN710 like this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    It's only passion until the novelty wears off, then you need the most important virtue of all to be keep the success going, commitment and persistance.

The passion will get boring and if you can push through this and keep going, then you make it work.

Following your passion can sometimes mean being undisciplined, jumping from one thing to another, looking for excitement and not giving anything a chance to grow to success. Money does not follow undisciplined people.

Keep your money boring, keep your life exciting and never get them twisted the other way around.

RM1827, EN710, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

4/136 The Parade Norwood, South Australia
    Gosh I'm good :p

Need to run another motivational seminar soon :cool:

MTR and Lizzie like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Also depends on what your passion is:

[​IMG]

wheet whoo!

Xenia, JDP1, MTR and 2 others like this.
  10. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

My passion is fishing, all that has done is caused my to lose a lot of money

Cards likes this.
  11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I managed to do it.....in arts of all things.
    However I had to modify my expectations andthink seriously outside the box in order to be able to survive.

Still....would've been easier if my "passion" was medicine or dentistry....

MTR likes this.
  12. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

It comes down to what motivates you. For me, I enjoy completing things to a good standard, it doesn't really matter what it is I just like the feeling of completion. Satisfaction for me could come in many different employment forms then.

Xenia likes this.
  13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Follow your passion and you'll never work a day in your life...because that field probably isnt hiring.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have a lot of things I love doing. Only one of those is profitable... property! I absolutely have a passion for property, specifically houses that can be improved and developed. Last 3 ips all got a good reno, which have been getting more involved. Most recent one is going to be a challenge but I like that. It's good when your passion brings in the dollars. I like improving the properties I buy and improving them increases the value. Win/win from my point of view.

Tim86 and MTR like this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not necessarily - some peoples passion might be something they've loved since they were little and still do, like playing music, writing, dancing.... eating cake.
    Whatever it is, for some reason the stars may not align, and they need to make money doing something else.

Joynz likes this.
  16. MTR

could be worse no fish, partner is good at this one:)

17. MTR

lol, another Mona Lisa

If only I could post the best ML, unfortunately Sim would ban it.

datto likes this.
  18. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

In my late 20s, I set out on an intense mission to discover my passions and purpose in life. I mean intense. I devoured hundreds of books. I spent thousands of hours meditating. I dedicated weekend after weekend to introspection and continually sought new perspectives from which to view my life, and the world.

What I discovered:

I want to have a significant, positive impact on as many people as I can.

I'll leave you with this:

RM1827, samiam and Perthguy like this.
  19. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Ah yes, follow your passion. As a music teacher, it amazes me how often I hear mid to late teens telling me they want to become a professional musician.

That's great if you do.... but choose something like the double bassoon, not the flute. There are about a million flute players in WA, and only two spots in the WASO, both of which are currently taken.

I work with a guy who's eldest daughter is in her first year of uni (science degree at UWA) and she is pining after music as a career. She's actually considering changing her degree to music performance. I asked him a few questions and basically told him that she wouldn't even be accepted into the performance stream of a music degree. 'Oh but she really thinks she's meant to do this....' That's lovely, as long as she's aware that she will be a starving musician and unable to afford to travel, buy a home in a nice area, send any kids to private schools (which she went to herself), etc.

I consider myself incredibly fortunate. I love playing the flute but I also love teaching it, and as a result, I have an incredibly satisfying (and profitable) musical outlet in my life. But not everyone is pragmatic enough to accept the harsh realities of a performance career, whether it be music, art, acting or similar - that only a tiny fraction lead lives that are financially sustained by their passion.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Tsk....tsk...tsk.....you can take the boy out of the Druie....but you can't take the Druie out of the boy....:p

Ted Varrick and datto like this.