Follow the money - where are Asians now buying?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by big max, 21st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

St Mary's in the NSW? Haven't seen many Asians there.

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Hmm the majority mindset of most overseas asian buyers is (initialy to do with buying to live or a place for their kids to be based in ) making money is not important it is secondary - there are hundreds or thousands of apartments as you know in melbourne left empty - why? because they can and return is not the objective they make their money in asia. I have also higher worth asian friends who are worth 10-50 million AUD and they buy in melbourne (clayton(vic), glen waverley(vic), balwyn(vic), kew(vic) vermont (vic), eastwood (nsw) Bellevue Hill(nsw) chatswood (nsw) etc). SOme of them are just leave their houses empty year in year out. So if they are really interested in return would it be reasonable to assume they would rent it out?

i have read some research papers on this but really don'tt hink it is that accurate as to the investing oversears forums though in different languages. For one, how many top tier univerisites do brisbane has compared to sydney and melbourne? and how many twinning programs do they have with overseas universities do they have? Melbourne and Sydney has the top few from UNSW and Melbourne Uni. ALso multiple twining programs from monash, rmit, uts, rmit, latrobe etc .The biggest overseas student population actually does lie with Monash uni which is why clayton has now a large asian population coz lots of overseas parent buy close to uni.it wasn't that case going back 10 years ago. it is also very normal to send children overseas to study if they have a existing relative in the city. for e.g. myself i am actualy guardins to 5 different cousins, nephews in melbourne who attend caulfiled grammar and monash and melb. i don't agree with it but Just like LV bags or owning a merc, going to melbourne university is more prestigious and looked highly upon in asian culture than for eg. QUT . (no bagging anyone) Also, some asian airlines dun even fly to brisbane so unless everyone is looking to transit all the time. or hire private jets (it does deter some people to buy)

Last edited: 21st Apr, 2016
    pianissimo and chindonly like this.
  3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Agreed ..and syd/mel will retain supremacy on this...however...what i, and other articles, are daying is that the share of asian money inyo brisbane is increasing...the specific article in question says brisbane is eating lunch of overseas asian money in syd and mel. not sure about that particular part without seeing numbers..but am sure that its attracting more overseas $ in RE. Coyld just be that there is more of it to go around? (Unlikely but possible) or it could be that a slowdown from a very high base in syd and mel ( more likely) Or it could be thaf they are really stealing business from the southern rivals as the article suggests..and the source is nab abs they do have some data i presume to back up their conclusions.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I just talk back to them in a biggest asian fob accent i can pull off... then finish it off with a trademark "get f ya f dhead" in a bogan accent :)

bob shovel likes this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

There are different categories of Chinese/Asian buyers. The super rich, the middle class and those in between. Purpose of purchase can be different. Perth has many South East Asians because of proximity and costs. The buyers in my opinion different from those who purchase in Sydney/Melbourne.

6. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    He's referring to the St Mary's in Adelaide:)

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Very nice! There potential to scare the competition away to, mentioning offers of 10-20% above will scare the muppets thinking that the "Asian investors" are cashed up and offering mega dollars to get in!

neK likes this.
  8. melbournian

i think asians buy everywhere really from london all the way to portugal and middle east. i always thought there was a big share of asian money in QLD with the gold coast and the japanese buying in.

Obviously each ones purposes are different but the majority will buy where they are existing demographics within the area. If you look at melbourne, there is quite a large population of asian in preston, not the super wealthy but the ok ones that can afford a single home. Many of them are also blue collar workers like trades so they only buy where they can afford in melbourne going back many years when preston was affordable. So back then their purpose was different. the same can be said if these type of buyers go and find brisbane more affordable to buy than other cities like melb or syd. the richer buyers they dun care abt these so hence they buy where they want.

Hardly think is about stealing or anything like that as there was already a substantial asian population in brisbane. I know for sure there is a big taiwanese community in brisbane no doubt and also many japanese like to reside in QLD. Unless NAB has data such as "race" dun recall that on my NAB home loan application but how would know who is asian or foreigner onot?

9. daiwaqa

daiwaqa Member

You might need to refresh your information about Chinese immigrants.

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

dunno...but i do know that outfits like NAB spend huge bucks on market research and number crunching. They will have access to all the best research, data, people and technologies to do this.

11. melbournian

highly doubt that (best technologies, research, data and people) as i have worked there before. The way they work is at a snail pace and what might take 5 minutes to do will take a couple days filled with process and paper shuffling. Maybe loan approvals might be different but there was a lot of stuff going on there that would cast doubts.

12. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

That was my question.. it seems from the media and this forum that many Chinese immigrants in Australia have a lot of money. I'm just comparing them to Chinese immigrants to Europe for example who aren't so flush with cash but buy or startup small businesses, in Barcelona for example a lot of small bars are run by Chinese immigrants. I know a couple here who run a small bar and send money back to China for their two kids who are looked after by their grandparents who they didn't see for 2 years (they recently went back to see them).

13. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

So for those in the know what would to say are the top 5 most popular suburbs for Asian buyers in Brisbane?

14. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I'm guessing - inner city apartments. Southbank. Maybe over time Paddington?

15. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Have you actually checked the VCE results of Frankston high school for the last few years? It is a very good school from most reports/opinions.

There was actually an article in last weeks Leader news paper about increasing numbers of Asian buyers in Frankston real estate also

larrylarry likes this.
  16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Sunnybank, sunnybak hills, eight mile plains, runcorn etc ..and some otp cbd stuff but not entrenched like the sunnybanks .

Marg4000 likes this.
  17. House

House Well-Known Member

18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

19. ChickenChaser

ChickenChaser Member

<---------------- This Asian looking up PropertyChat to see where non-Asians are buying.

My friend recommended suburbs surrounding Sunnybank because Sunnybank is expensive.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

unless buying new product current government changes will impact, already seeing this