Folk celebrations in Peru.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Earlier this year I went to South America, mostly to work but with a little time to travel.

It's fortunate for the forum that I didn't get to load up photos.

I was in Cuzco, Peru, during a big celebration- Corpus Christi- with tens of thousands of people in parades, a huge outdoor mass, and eating local delicacies, like roast guinea pig (No, I didn't try it. It looks too much like rat when it's hairless).

Towards the later afternoon, when the crowds were dispersing, I went off to my hostel.

But on the way home, on a park on a large traffic island, celebrations were continuing. This time it was all locals celebrating. There were no other white faces there, and possibly just one other camera- but hundreds of locals, many in bright colourful costumes, continuing the celebrations with music and dancing. In this version of a whipping dance performed by the ladies, they take it in turns to "whip" each other with a wool whip. The male version gets a little more serious.

2. Xie

Xie Well-Known Member

How bizarre!!! Reminds me of the Chevy Chase European Vacation where the men slap each other's faces. Funny to watch but wouldn't wanna participate.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's only a light wool thing, nobody really gets hurt.

I'm guessing there's a religious origin referring to flogging, being a Catholic country and this being a religious celebration.

4. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Haha! the guinea pig reminds me of a documentary I once saw where as lady traced her ancestry and went to Peru. She saw the guinea pigs and thought they were pets- until dinner time. She had to help prepare dinner. She was horrified.
    Peru is on my "to do" list.