Travel & Holidays Flying First Class and Business Class

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 24th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Vanillascent and MTR like this.
  2. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

I've never flown anything but economy class. The long trips can be tough, but I've never been too worried.

This is part of the reason I've never upgraded to business/first class. At the moment I don't really know what I'm missing so economy is bearable!

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

well you do now, damn it:)

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've just priced up economy for flights (Brisbane to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Dubai, Dubai to Rome, San Fran to Sydney, Sydney to Brisbane) and the cost for economy is about $6.2K for two of us. Agent says premium economy on Cathay is well worth it, more room, better food (?), few things she said were worth the extra, and that came in at $8K.

The longest portion of our flights will be 14 hours and I cannot help but think if we can manage that long, then www can put that $1.8K towards our spending. If that extra $1.8K meant we could lie down rather than simply have nicer food and maybe a bigger seat, we would think about it more seriously.

I'd rather have $1.8K extra in my pocket.

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Prem economy on Cathay is great. Heaps of legroom, champagne as you board, and better service on a regular basis. Flew in economy on the way back, could only get service if call bell was pressed apart from the meal and drink service.
    The extra you pay adds to the experience of the trip.

6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

for $900 each I think it's pretty good value, if certainly be spending it.

btw have a look at Emirates, i saw recently that they've really brought the price of airfares to Europe down from Australia due to excess capacity, some destinations were under $1.5k return.

Alternatively try booking it out of say singapore, prices are often cheaper that way and u can get a stopover there

7. Vanillascent

Vanillascent Well-Known Member

I flew premium economy with Cathay 2 weeks ago because business class was booked out. It was just more leg room and an upgraded travel kit perhaps. Had to go into economy for the use of toilets and wait like everyone else. The chairs weren't much bigger but perhaps reclined slightly more.

8. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Business or above only for me for overseas flights. In fact, I will be doing it tomorrow.

Heinz57 likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Last time to Europe was premium economy, just booked next trip there business.
    Marg

10. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

Always go the cheapest option. Who cares if I am uncomfortable for a 24 hour period? I would rather be uncomfortable than out of pocket an extra few thousand

11. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Flew Business Class last year to Bangkok.. Economy was about $900 to $1200.... I paid $3999 return in business class ... 3 x the rate of economy .

Just bigger seats thats all .
    Nothing much different from economy just bigger seats .

12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've flown first once, and business lots. I'm 6'3" (and have a flying phobia) so I really struggle in economy. I've never paid for these though.

First class is great, but no way is it worth the price (edit: over business). Business worth it long haul if you are on a tight agenda. I get on, take a sleeping tablet and lie there the whole flight trying to meditate and not freak out with every little fluctuation

Last time I flew economy, my wife had a medical emergency. As she was being attended to, our daughter started vomiting everywhere. Then I did as well. Foodborne illness from Singapore airport no doubt. Worst flight ever.

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2016
    kierank likes this.
  13. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

I only fly economy, I once got bumped to business because there were seats available.

I still didn't sleep and if I paid for the ticket I'd kick myself for paying an extra $150 per hour to share recycled air with 300 other people in a bigger seat. I feel that money can be spent in far better ways at the destination.

14. keithj

keithj Well-Known Member

There are some who disagree with you.... their view is that flying 1st class is a bargain compared to private jet :D.

15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ha ha. True!

I might have to go to the USA in the next couple of weeks or so, I should price a private jet first. First will seem a bargain

legallyblonde and keithj like this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

To try and save money I always request to stay in the cargo hold. No luck yet lol.

17. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ive got a friend fairly seriouslu considering a private jet related business, ive of course volunteered to test the product out :D

legallyblonde likes this.
  18. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Flights are pretty much hell for me so dont think economy/first/business would help (i get fidgity and walking up and down the aisle is not enough)

but looking at some of the price difference id rather go economy and as the savings can be nearly half a deposit for an ip

19. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I fly back to see family in UK once a year. I have been upgraded once or twice and it's nice, but no way worth paying $8K instead $2-3K. But I'm saved by the biggest bargain going: Singapore charge around $60 a leg extra for exit row seats - unrestricted legroom and no one climbing over you (or you them).

20. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Remember folks, it's not about the journey. It's about the destination. You see the plane is merely a vehicle. . . . .:p

WattleIdo likes this.