Travel & Holidays Flying First Class and Business Class

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 24th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd say that everyone has a choice. We could fly business or first, but our choice is to save the thousands we would pay to be a little more comfortable for less than one day and use those thousands to live it up for the four weeks we are overseas.

There is just no way we would pay $6k (guessing) when we can fly for $1,500 and have $4,500 spending money, just to be a bit more comfortable for a flight.

But, like everything we choose, we do it for our own reasons. We don't see value in paying extra for what isn't important to us.

SeafordSunshine and TMNT like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sure, you mentioned this many times. You have to do what suits you, its not a competition

Not everyone can afford BC, my daughter can not, she will fly cheapest airline possible.

I was providing tips if going economy.
    The one I would use would be to check out for empty seats and hog them before someone else does:p

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

they're ok for the asia short haul. tbh they're much better than they were.
    Emirates is a different league (did a few 2 years ago) and would easily smash majority of airlines - I took Singapore business 6 months ago felt the staff were just not that welcoming compared to other Asian Airlines

upload_2018-3-1_15-21-45.png

upload_2018-3-1_15-22-51.png

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

absolutely agree,

I would never ever pay for business class or first class, yes im a tight a&&
    the day I do pay for it will either mean ive won lotto, or I have 2 months to live

I simply compare to what the extra cost gets me,

1x business class trip to my destination, or 2x trips in economy (ie 2 holidays)

with the extra money I could stay in better hotels, or even double my holiday, or go from a 3star to 4star to 5 star

obviously you get better service and better food and unlimited alcohol in the plane, but for an extra $100 in economy ,I could and drink whatever I want,

obviously I wont get a flat bed though...

wylie likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ive watched heaps of youtube videos of emirates first class and it looks amazing...
    Honestly, I wouldnt do first class short haul either unless I won lotto
    ive seen a few videos of other 1st class, and some of them look so bad, worse than business class of decent airlines!

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think you missed the point I was trying to make, and that was that there are more choices to make for any holiday other than paying three or four times the amount to get a more comfy seat and better food for a total of 15 hours or so.

But to each his own. I'll never pay business or first class (and have experience of business class when a friend upgraded me). I enjoyed it, but won't pay for it. :p

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OMG

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Closer to $7K to $9K unless you get a special offer.

But we fly business class. Hubby is tall and has a few health issues which mean we fly business class overseas or restrict ourselves to destinations 4-6 hour flights away.

So we just suck it up and pay. Someone did suggest that hubby flies business while I fly economy to save money, but that’s not going to happen!

And anyway, we can afford a big overseas trip each year so why not....
    Marg

wylie and Kassy like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL, as if

Marg4000 likes this.
  10. NicA

NicA Member

Flown first class on emirates, Singapore airlines suites and British airways... Emirates was the best followed by Singapore and lastly British airways which felt more like a spacious business product (I would almost rate emirates business class higher).

Some of the new products look amazing though... I'm flying Singapore airlines suites to New York in May this year, was hoping to try out the new suites product but looks like it won't be available on that route until later on.

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Is singapore first class and suites diffeeent? Or cost more?

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I like to do around the world trips. They can often be the same cost as a direct flight. I like to have a couple of days taste in another country. I'm not talking an epic 30 stop trip. Say, heading to europe - a couple of days in the Americas and a couple in Asia.

Finnair are currently advertising a RTW fare for $5400!

13. Babesoft

Babesoft Well-Known Member

RTW are indeed excellent value - both in terms of purchase cost as well as points earned - if you can spare the extra travel time

U can check out star alliance and oneworld's website to help build your itinerary. From memory SA has a slightly more user friendly site for RTW itinerary building

14. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Got upgraded from cattle class to biz class on a flight to South Africa. Got there late which actually increases your chances of an upgrade.

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Skyscanner has a multi stop option. We spent a bit of time last year planning a trip, and got an excellent price for what was effectively a RTW ricket (Malaysia, Middle East and Mexico) with a variety of carriers for around $3,500.

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

How does that work?,and has that happened several times..

Colin Rice likes this.
  17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

The extra travel time is minimal for a RTW trip. Especially if you don't have transit stops.

i would recommend checking out an agent. Online sites are not the best at RTW trips. They don't tend to include combination deals that are not straight codeshare. For instance a few years ago I did a RTW Air France/Qantas combination not available online.

18. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Singapore Airlines has 3 types: The New Suites (debut end of last year), the Original Suites (debut in 2007), and First Class.

For me, the First Class seat is too similar to Business Class, except better legroom for sleeping and better food. Original Suites is great even though it is more than 10 years old and definitely worth trying if you have never tried Suites. The New Suites just blew everyone away, including Emirates First Class and Etihad Apartments. Have a look at the link that posted earlier to have a look.

For cash fares Suites Class (usually regardless of old and new) is slightly more expensive than First Class. For awards it is the same amount of points and taxes for Older Suites Class and First Class. But for the New Suite Class you cannot use Saver Awards points to redeem ticket, only what they call Standard Awards, which is almost twice the amount of points required than Saver Awards. So the Original Suite class saver awards is great value.

Beano and TMNT like this.
  19. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Nice video. Ah, so that’s what economy class looks like....

Heinz57 and MTR like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Haha. Dont you just love Seinfield

Harry30 likes this.