Fly screens - retractable vs sliding?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Zoolander, 19th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Hi PCers,

I'm looking to install fly screens for the PPOR and wanted to get your opinion on retractables vs sliding; and if there's any recommended fly screen suppliers in Sydney (for either type).

The main appeal of retractables is that it's hidden when not in use, while sliding is always there.
    Keen to hear from members who have installed screens in their PPOR or rental properties, and PMs who do it on behalf of clients.

It's for an apartment balcony double sliding door 2m wide x 2.5m high (image attached).

Pros:
    + hidden when not in use

Cons:
    - more moving parts
    - costs more

Found this video which got me initially curious about retractables (no affiliation with these guys):

Keen to get your thoughts

Attached Files:

chylld and mikey7 like this.
  2. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

I'm also interested in these retractable flyscreens and have been looking at this company.

Flyscreens | ScreenAway

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is there any security concerns that also need to be addressed? If so then I'd go sliding crimesh type screens

For rental I'd go sliding as they are less risk to being broken by people/pets walking into it

For PPOR I'd probably still go sliding as it's easier to manage if you are using the balcony area for entertaining on, ie you can go up to the door, slide it open with foot whilst holding dinner plates etc. With the retractable it's a 2 hand job to open shut I think.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Do you have kids or plan on having kids? Cos neither of those options are going to survive a toddler.

My friend has those on his door... invited some of friends over.... guess what the kids did... poke poke push... followed by parents (me) yelling "don't touch that" and apologizing :)

Phantom and Westminster like this.
  5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Also a good option ^^^^^ of you have children as @neK mentioned they will get destroyed in no time!

6. Zoolander

The screens on a non ground floor so security isnt an issue. Thanks for bit on retractable being a two handed job. can see that being annoying over time.

No kids or pets. I read some some meshes being reinforced for sliding. Unsure of retractables.

I've got half a dozen suppliers coming in next week. Will summarise all the tips and intel so this post can help other people decide down the track.

craigc and Colin Rice like this.
  7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Kids will wreck anything and everything... and you'll still love them for it.

There is nothing you can do when they say
    "I'm sorry daddy, Please don't be angry. I love you" :D

Little manipulative creatures. :p

wylie, Jacque, Marg4000 and 6 others like this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Retractable are usually more expensive.

Also, not as taut at the top and bottom compared to sliding doors (i.e no frame) so may let bugs in.

Most people only go for retractable if they have bifold doors as sliding screens won't work with this type of door.

Zoolander likes this.
  9. Zoolander

Got my retractable pleated flyscreens installed from Wynstan today.

Job amounted to $2,000 for two doorways - one a large balcony approx 2.5x2m. The other is half as wide. Other quotes I got were in the $2,500-3,500 range, including using hipages.

The normal flyscreen wouldn't have worked as the lower rails are blocked by some framing needed to hold up the glass panes or some other BS.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Attached a few pics.
    Full photo collection here: Wynstan Kenginston (Sydney) retractable pleated flyscreen

Attached Files:

wylie, EN710 and chylld like this.
  10. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Not cheap but does look good.

11. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I would and did go pleated over retractable. Fewer moving parts and less effort to open compared to my previous retractable. I have stacker doors and the pleated blind just disappears into the door system.

If you don't have kids or animals or animal like kids, I think they are a great choice. I am not expecting it to last long with toddler.

Zoolander likes this.
  12. Mike Lee

Mike Lee Member

I would agree with bunkai. The cassette for flat retractable fly screens can be quite bulky. One of the companies suggested we could recess it in the wall which was going to cost 3 times the price of pleated screens. I ended up using a company called Meta Blinds in Melbourne. I ended up paying around $1,400 for a 3m wide x 2.1m high bi-fold door. The guys are very professional and the quality is good.

www.metablinds.com.au

13. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

I went with the centor, expensive but timeless and we otherwise would never have the bi folds open.. (which defeats the purpose)

14. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I can say with experience that if there is one little gap at the top or bottom mosquitos will get in. But seeing as the OP went ahead and got them, I'd be interested in his opinion after mosquito and fly season. There are some sprays you can buy to repel mozzies now it seems. so you could just spray that at the tops and bottoms and you should be fine.

EDIT: If the screen isn't taut at the top and bottom, what happens if it's quite windy?

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2019
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

D o you know if this has option for aluminium mesh in bushfire area? ... and if they have solution to include pet door :oops:

16. Mike Lee

Mike Lee Member

I'm pretty sure the pleated screens are all made using PET mesh. Most of the mesh is imported too.

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that video ... I'm looking at bifolds for the next reno/ppor and was wondering how they worked and the Centor looks good

JennaL likes this.
  18. Optimus

It also gives the bi folds a good amount of tint when the screen is closed with the doors closed..

I'm so glad we decided to get it

JennaL and Lizzie like this.
  19. ajdncnsn

ajdncnsn New Member

I’m wondering, 1 year later, how is the Centor screen? Still happy with it? (Also, do Centor install or do I have to find an installer company?)

20. Optimus

Not a single issue...

Not sure on that part, i installed it myself.