"Flush" architraves

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 9th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am going to be fitting architraves in my bathroom and just needed some advice..

My previous architraves (and with the rest of my house) were set back a few mm, which seems to be the common way of fitting them?

I am thinking not having a setback of a few mm and making the architrave “flush” with the windowsill. I personally just prefer the look.

If I made my architraves “flush” with the windowsill, my only concern would be hiding the join line of the architrave the windowsill.

Besides trying to hide the join lines with filler and giving it a good sand, is there anything else I could do?

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You said you want architraves but I like this stuff. It does away with the architrave altogether. Depends on your plastering skills too. It's tricky to explain but it's a "T" shape but one side of the T tears off to give you a clean finish after setting it. So it covers over the exposed gyprock end.
    Your left with a 10mm plastic bead that goes back to the window frame
    Screenshot_2015-11-09-07-07-44.png

Brian84 likes this.
  3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Or if you are tiling floor to ceiling then you can tile inside the window and not have architraves at all. I will see if I can upload a pic.

4. Brian84

image.jpg If zoom in you can see the tile covering the whole reveal around the window.

5. robbie_p

I thought of tiling inside, but then i thought it might be a little hassle fitting the blinds if the inside was tiled?

6. Brian84

If you are installing them yourself and haven't had much experience doing it then it can be tricky. Shouldn't be a problem for a professional

7. bob shovel

Are you tiling to the ceiling now?

Tile around, no arcs is the go, let your tiler take care of it . Fitting blinds /curtains get a good drill bit! And watch you tube how to do it. High speed and let the drill do the work

8. robbie_p

Yup, its a bit too late as tiler has already started with tiling under architrave..

9. robbie_p

So i can either make the architraves flush (using architraves), keep them as is (with 2mm setback from sil) or use the tearaway beads / plaster..

10. bob shovel

You need to check what the tiler has allowed for and work with that. To late to make any drastic changes.
    If say stick with arcs

11. robbie_p

Yeh i will... would it be worth trying to get the architrave / sil flush? If so, can anything be done to hide join lines?

It might ever be as simple as giving it a good sanding, sealing any join lines with sealer, another good sanding, and a good few coats of undercoat and topcoat?

Perhaps a certain paint type of colour would hide lines better?

That said, i am also going to put a 50mm Venetian Blind in there so the inside of the window will be well covered

12. bob shovel

Just use no more gaps. You'll barely notice it once its in, you'll be admiring the new tiles and throne and won't even spot a small gap

13. robbie_p

Haha true that.. amazing how sometimes you put so much focus on the tiny things and not look at the bigger picture / outcome! :)

Adding to what you said.. the old bathroom looked really cr@p.. the new one is going to be awesome! :)

14. robbie_p

out of interest.. is there any difference between the gap filler you get in the tube vs the one you get in the tub (applied by spatula)?

15. bob shovel

Make sure you get something that can be painted. There's heaps out there to choose from, so best to go and get the right stuff