Floorplan Suggestions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by lowey16, 3rd Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lowey16

lowey16 Member

Hi guys, lots of great resources on here so I wanted to pick your brains. Looking at a PPOR in Bendigo (Vic) and renovating for our enjoyment + maybe CG over the next 5-10 years, I've come up with the following potential alterations to the floorplan. Let me know what you think, and if I've missed any information out, please ask.

I realise that costing is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but if anyone has done anything similar and could give a ballpark, that would be greatly appreciated. The block is elevated so the front of the house sits about 1.5m off the ground, and it's a weatherboard house.

Attached Files:

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Does the roofline allow you to incorporate tbe sunroom easily, or will the wall removal always look like you removed the wall to the kitchen ?

20201103_185627.jpg I'd be tempted to get rid of the doors and wall between the entry and lounge while you are at it :D

Just put a cavity slider into bed 3 wall like this to seperate off that end of the house :cool:

Like this

3. lowey16

lowey16 Member

The sunroom looks like it was a verandah once upon a time so the ceiling is lower. That being said, it’s always going to look like it’s added on anyway, because it’s got external sliding doors and the kitchen window looks out into it.

The thought process behind it was that it would give us a proper dining space, and then we could have sliding doors going out into the backyard/entertaining area.

4. Suze39

Suze39 Member

I'm wondering about stuctural issues. Would that wall b/t kitchen and sunroom be the main load-bearing wall? Perhaps also the the kitchen to lounge wall? What would hold the house up at that end? I don't know anything much about extensions though...

5. lowey16

lowey16 Member

:):)
    They most likely are, so we’d probably need some LVLs or similar as well as some extra supports to do it, but to open it up I think could be worth it.

Given that no one has said anything very negative about the proposed plan I guess it can’t be that bad :)

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea of removing the wall between the entry and the living room to give a more open feel as mentioned above already.

And I cannot help but think the kitchen should go into the sunroom and not sit between the living room and the sunroom. The sunroom looks about 3m wide? Might be squashy in there for table and chairs.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

20201105_124245.jpg
    Main bathroom is a little tight, maybe you could crib some space from the ensuite or kitchen (yeah, the old bath window is a PITA).

If you move bed 1 door close to ensuite wall you could put a robe in (as shown), this would allow bed 3 door to move making the robe's a little bigger to 2&3.

Cavity slider to seperate off that end of the house (when the TV is to loud)

craigc likes this.
  8. lowey16

lowey16 Member

Thanks for the feedback - our main challenge at the moment is trying to work as much as possible with existing walls, but it looks like that’s quickly becoming quite a challenge haha.

As a couple of people have mentioned, I do like the cavity slider idea, I hadn’t considered that.

9. wylie

I've just noticed the dimensions for the sunroom (I must have been tired when I replied last night). Width of 2.4m makes the whole space very chopped up in my opinion. I'd try to relocate the kitchen so it is not cutting the area up.

10. lowey16

lowey16 Member

Are your thoughts to put the kitchen in the sunroom? Or to have it running along the side wall?

11. wylie

If the sunroom is solid enough, good walls, good roof, and not a "tacked on" sunroom that needs to be rebuilt, yes... I'd put it there. You would probably have to close in some of the windows because you have only one wall to put fridge and cooktop against, and both won't fit, but if the sunroom is well built, perhaps close up some windows to make a decent kitchen.

Photos from inside and even the outside construction would help.

If you can close off the stairs and make that a wall, could you open some of the windows on the long side to be the new doorway to the courtyard? And if the windows on that side are lower than normal, perhaps close in the stair wall and that corner, and make the windows above bench top with a door near the bathroom to access the courtyard.

Just realised that room behind the kitchen is laundry? Stairs from laundry to outdoor gives you more room in the kitchen.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would suggest running the kitchen along the side wall so it does not cut across the living area.

I also like Stoffo's plan for the bedrooms. The original layout is like a maze of corridors that waste space.

13. wylie

I like this idea too, still closing up the stairs, still putting new stairs from the laundry and that gives a good wall without having to do too much with the back windows. And an island can still be placed towards the window end without encroaching on the living area.

Fridge could be placed where it is now, where the wall indents so it doesn't stick out too far.

14. lowey16

lowey16 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, lots of great input. Here are a couple of real estate photos of the house as it is now, the space next to the sunroom under the existing roof is where we’re thinking of moving the laundry.

I like the idea of having the kitchen along one side, but not sure how it would work with different ceiling heights.

if anyone has any other thoughts though, happy to hear them.

Attached Files:

15. wylie

The sunroom would need a fair bit of work to make it work as a kitchen and you'd need to know it is structurally sound.

I've drawn up one corner closed in if you want overhead cabinets and the cooktop could go there, but leave windows there if you don't. It looks like you'd need to swap all windows as they are too low to allow kitchen cabinets to be the correct height. But if the structure is sound enough, this could work.

It means new flooring through the whole area and your kitchen ceiling will feel low, but we pushed a kitchen into what was a sloping verandah (photo below) . It works well, though in our IP one side is higher which makes it feel less cramped. This kitchen took up what was a tiny bedroom and a sleep out. We closed up three windows for this room plus the tiny laundry through the door that leads into the bathroom to the left of the photo. So we added a small single window into the new laundry and a skylight in the kitchen.

Your existing kitchen ceiling isn't high, so this won't be so noticeable as feeling so much lower than the rest of the room.

You could add a powder room off the hallway, smaller laundry that has to be entered from the living room, unless you are happy to have a second toilet in the laundry room and then keep the door in the hallway and maybe add the toilet at the far end, slightly hidden by the washer and a good lock on the hallway door for when it may be used.

The kitchen as I've drawn it means the fridge isn't visible from the living room, and you could increase the nib wall to hide it further.

If you make the wall .8 and the pantry on the other side .8 you have 4.2m left to put in an island. Options for cooktop depends on what you close up, where you leave windows. Sink and dishwasher are more flexible once you choose cooktop position.

IMG_3124.jpeg IMG_3024.jpeg

16. wylie

I've added a photo of the laundry we brought up from under the house. Because the bathroom is in the back corner of the house and the door is beside the kitchen and straight off the living room, we added the laundry here, to allow two doors between living/kitchen and the bathroom.

It's tiny, but is better than being under the house and serves the purpose of an "airlock". If we could have made it bigger, we would, but everything was a compromise.

I'm not sure if my ideas would work for your house, but I hope this gives you some food for thought.

IMG_3026.jpeg

17. lowey16

lowey16 Member

Wylie, there are some great ideas there - definitely some food for thought. Thanks

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm not a structural engineer but I wonder if any of the outer walls of a house in critical parts eg corners can be removed whether you use LVLs or not etc.

And if you aren't going through council, will structural engineers agree to draw up a plan? Possibly not in writing I'm guessing.

19. lowey16

lowey16 Member

Yeah we’re still looking into all the permit requirements etc. The VBA site suggests if it’s not a load bearing wall and you don’t change the floor size (I.e anything under the roofline) you don’t need a permit. So maybe we’ll put in a cable truss before removing the wall so it’s not load bearing... But a few consults with a structural engineer probably won’t go astray. Finalising the floor plan as we’d like it is the first thing to take care of though.

wylie likes this.
  20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Now that we have the photos for reference, it appears your sunroom is really an enclosed patio. I assume you would have to adapt it before it can be turned into a habitable living area, at least checking with council/town planner. This may be a simple fix, or it may not. It would depend how it was designed and constructed originally.

Given the original kitchen is fairly new, you could leave it alone and cut a large window through the back wall just above the bench to "open" up a space into the existing sunroom. I dont think I would relocate part of the kitchen across to the right-hand wall - that would probably "close in" the current flow to the back sunroom.

Last edited: 8th Nov, 2020