Floorplan Rejig- Advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Damon, 24th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

My partner and I have found a house in a great area.The existing dwelling has been extended previously so we think we could reconfigure the rooms rather than extending.
    After advice from the experts.

Current floor plan:
    Issues:
    -Kitchen/dining/living area is too small.

[​IMG]

Proposed floor plan (very rough, hence why I'm on this website).
    Changes:
    -Turn kitchen into 2nd lounge/kids play room.
    -Turn existing living/dining into main bedroom and ensuite.
    -Front sliding doors become windows, create an entry into existing foyer. Create hallway.
    -Turn back lounge/main/ensuite into open living area.

[​IMG]
    Issues:
    -Is the 2nd lounge too narrow?
    -Is the main bedroom to small?
    -Is the area out the back too small for open living (main issue being only 2.6m on the left of the entry).
    -Is the whole exercise a bit ambitious and costly?

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I quite like what you've done there, however I dislike the main toilet in the laundry. I wouldn't want guests tramping through my laundry to get to the toilet. I'd keep the toilet in the existing ensuite, just cut the size down so it's powder room sized. As for if it's too ambitious and costly that's a good question. I guess it depends on what the budget is and how much you can do yourself.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Hi Damon. Does the existing floor plan support dual occ?

Good idea to reconfig and value add. Dual occ is a good way to substantially value add

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Could you do dual occupancy legally here? Do you want dual occupancy as it seems this is a main residence and not a rental.

Your rejig means your main bedroom no longer has an ensuite.

Why not remove the wall between kitchen and living to open it up and keep everything else as it is. That gives you a separate good sized second living area.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It does include an ensuite. It's off to the side.

6. boganfromlogan

If I was renting from Damon a dual occ configuration would be very desirable based on our family.....I think we might be quite similar to families who have younger ppl forced out of independent housing ( cost of purchase / rent ) whether students or not.

By 'legal' I suppose u mean zoning? Obviously I don't have that info. I was making more a correlation with value and dual occ config, not zoning.

7. wylie

Oops... didn't notice that. Thanks.

It seems a lot of work and money though making those changes.

Is this a rental or your main residence? That has a big bearing on things. I'd assume it must be your main residence or you'd not do anything.

Damon and Marg4000 like this.
  8. wylie

I was thinking you were suggesting renting to different parties, hence the legal bit.

But for multi-generational families or simply adult children still at home wanting some separation, that is a different thing entirely.

9. boganfromlogan

Ha! I assumed IP so also wondering if doing less might work best!!

10. boganfromlogan

Yes, granny, adult student or Ruprecht could use that separate bed/ living area. Scarce rental means good rent!! IMHO

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Maybe make one large kitchen/family area out of the existing living/dining/kitchen rooms, and make the existing family room the main living room?

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'd consider for a PPOR, but not for a rental.

wylie likes this.
  13. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is for a PPOR, the man cave comment would be weird otherwise?

Need to make the new ensuite blue, easily missed on the plan.

As for making it into a Duplex, can't see how you could retrofit the required fire proofing. No way any builder would touch that without charging a heft premium. That's knock down rebuild territory for me.

As for the updated floor plan itself, I like it. Gives the flexibility between a rumpus room / formal dining room or even a home theatre if you wanted it (good flexible space can be staged as needed when selling).

My only issue is with the Master Bedroom. The WIR is clunky, you have to remove a fireplace to put it in? And the entry should come off the hallway not the front door imo.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Without seeing the property its hard. I see the space labelled "Alfresco" and do question why this isnt better utilised so that the kids play area isnt quite as wasted as a cupboard like room that cant even be seen of heard from the kitchen. Flooring out the alfresco area so it joins the house together may be a sound way to enhance function and make a very large family use area all at the back and not involve massive cost. Of course it depends too on rooflines and more.

That main bedroom entry door off the front door entry is wierd. Entry should be off the hallway.

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm assuming this is a PPOR.

The second lounge is narrow BUT I think it's big enough for a toy room, study or small gaming room.
    The main Bedroom is big enough, just consider where the bed will be (most likely on wall of playroom?) when thinking about where doors go
    I've drawn up how I think the back area could work

damon2 copy.jpg

16. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

It would be for our PPOR.

17. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

We have thought that, and that would be the simplest cheapest option. But the current kitchen, dining living set up is very small isnt it? How would you arrange the furniture?

18. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

But that would be a very small kitchen/dining/living area wouldn't it? Its only about 36 square metrs all up.

19. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

Do you think the 2nd living would be too narrow at 2.7m? How would you configure it?

How would you set up the master bedroom instead?

20. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

The kids play area is probably more of a theatre room, older kids rumpus area, so not stressed it isn't seen or heard from the kitchen.

The Alfresco area doesn't fall under the roof line. It's pretty much an outdoor area with a roof.

I agree with the main entry door, hence why I would try to create an entry through the foyer, but if the plans remain as is with that being the lounge, it could just add to the quirkiness of the house?

Attached Files: