Floorplan - creating an extra bedroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MJay, 3rd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJay

MJay Member

I've attached our house floorplan.

Looking for suggestions on whether we can squeeze in another bedroom or are we wasting our time? Currently the bathroom is next to the kitchen, which is not ideal. Thinking we could either move the kitchen to the laundry or the dining room (has 3 door entrances) and convert the kitchen into a small bedroom. This would mean walking through the bedroom to the bathroom though.

Any thoughts would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Get ride of the laundry room and put your washer & dryer in the bathroom where the storage space is (stack the dryer on top of the washer), then change the bathroom door opening direction. How big is the laundry room?

3. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

What is that "void" space between the Kitchen and bathroom?

4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Kitchen to Laundry sounds the best to me.

5. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't have any editing software to give you a visual but I would turn the front lounge into the 3rd bedroom so you have an entry way leading into the existing dining room. I would make the existing dining room the lounge/family room. You can then knock the wall down between the kitchen and laundry to make a dining open plan kitchen. If you want a bigger open space knock down the wall to make the lounge, kitchen and dining all open plan.

6. MJay

MJay Member

The laundry is 3 metres square. Not sure a washer would fit where the storage space is as not very deep.

7. MJay

MJay Member

Fireplace that someone has boxed in for the kitchen. If converted to a bedroom I'd remove and have the fireplace working again.

8. MJay

MJay Member

So kitchen as bedroom?

9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I would move the walls and doorways so you have a shotgun hallway with the 4 BR off it.
    Move the laundry (to maybe behind the bathroom) and use that side as access to rear extension.
    Extend beyond the kitchen to make new living/dining areas.

All depends on your budget though.

10. MJay

MJay Member

House is heritage listed so don't fancy our chances of moving/demo walls. Our eventual aim was to have an open plan living/dining extension out the back. However, budget dictates that we look for a cheaper fix that we can make do with for the next few years.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

12. MJay

MJay Member

My preferred option was kitchen in the existing dining room, make the kitchen into a bedroom and then the laundry possibly with a powder room where the sink alcove is located/study. However, the dining room has 3 doorways so not sure it will work, plus costs of plumbing.

13. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Just check on the heritage listing - in our area I think it is only the facade of the building that needs to be preserved.

14. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Yes Kitchen as bedroom and Kitchen to Laundry, this may save on plumbing costs compared to Kitchen to Lounge option.

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd be inclined to leave the kitchen where it is, convert laundry to bedroom (as it's 3 x 3) and open up the wall between the kitchen and the dining to aid the flow between the 2 rooms.
    With the need for a laundry I'd meet that by spending some money in the kitchen and doing some smart storage and including a cupboard laundry

[​IMG]

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I also think this is a good result. You get an annoying hallway as you enter, but it opens up the kitchen/laundry/dining room as one big living area.