Floorplan changes - tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Birdseed, 20th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Birdseed

Birdseed Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We are in the market for our first ever PPOR. We’ve come to the realisation that we may have to purchase an older property and renovate it over time.

What are some things to look for when assessing a floorplan for its suitability for renovation and modernisation?

What are some “easy wins”? What are some things to avoid tackling unless absolutely necessary? How can you tell whether a wall can be knocked out to create more open living spaces?

I’m running my inexperienced eye over a lot of floorplans currently, and am trying to assess these things at open homes. I’m somewhat aware of trying to utilise existing water/utilities for things like new or relocated bathrooms/kitchens/laundries, but I don’t know whether changing these things are just hard work/more expensive, or more something to avoid completely. It’s going to be our place to live so we have more appetite and budget for a project than we would for one of our IP’s.

I’d love to hear the thoughts of people who’ve done this kind of thing before? Many thanks in advance.

David_SYD likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

One very easy way to create more room is to build into a garage and create new parking.

Of course you have to satisfy a few things, but you get the idea.

Moving plumbing is not an issue with a Queenslander or house on stumps that hasn't been enclosed. More difficult on a slab.