Flooring

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Vacant, 28th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

What is your favourite flooring for a concrete slab house? My wife has decided against tiles as her feet get cold so we are leaning towards engineered timber flooring. Just wondering what other options are out there.

I'm not too keen on cork and polished concrete will have the same problem as tiles. It's a PPOR so we're happy to spend a bit more on it but I'm still quite tight so I'll be looking for value for money.

Has anyone used click laminate in the kitchen? I know it can swell up if it gets wet but if you clean any spills up quickly will it get a chance? I've used a cheap one from bunnings for most of a house and was pleased with the cost and the result but we're aiming to make this place a tad more luxurious. What have you used that you'd recommend?

2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

If your worried about the click flooring in the kitchen but still like the look then you should try the vinyl flooring system. A couple of people on the forum have used it and love it. I think jess is has used it.

Propertunity likes this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Vinyl planks. Timber lookalike. Feels warmer than tiles. Not affected by water spills.

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Love natural timber and polished concrete but its noisy, cold, requires polishing etc, not as forgiving when dropping a glass etc.

I prefer Vinyl planks, low maint, can get them in click or loose lay, loose being easier to replace one if it gets damaged in the center of the floor.

Go 7mm, best price I've found in WA is $33sqm supply only, $20sqm for install.

Perhaps go through some display homes for ideas.

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2015
  5. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought of vinyl planks. We currently have Lino which is terrible so vinyl would be a big improvement. I imagine it's a lot softer underfoot too. Does it go over underlay?

6. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Yep, over underlay, undercut your doors and put quading around the skirts. Or if you want to get fancy, take off the skirts and put them back on once the floor is laid. A lot of extra work, but looks heaps better.

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Click can, loose vinyl no.

High recommend checking out different flooring ideas in display homes, then go to a few suppliers and they'll show/explain the process and costs.

8. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Display homes sounds like a good idea. I'm comfortable installing click flooring myself which would save a bit. It's just for the kitchen and dining room so I'm tempted to convince my wife to reconsider tiles.

As an aside, do you install a new kitchen first and floor around it or vice versa?

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Vinyl plnaks sound great. Otherwise, why don't you find a nice thick lino? They're so much better these days.

10. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

If you are ever going to consider changing the kitchen layout I would do tiles first so they are everywhere. You will pay for a few more boxes of tiles.

I've done both and the time spent is around the same.

11. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Have a look into bamboo flooring. They're cheaper, harder and easier to install compared to timber.

I've been quoted $65-70 per square metre supply and install with acoustic underlay for Verdura, BT brands

12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

For an OTP IP, I had an option of going bamboo flooring but sticking to tiles. If it was my PPOR, I would have gone bamboo flooring.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you want tiles, why not install underfloor heating.

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I put in engineered blackbutt this year, so far so good

15. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Hi Befuddled,
    I also like the look of Bamboo.
    Where did you get those quotes from?

David