Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Flooring Options in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Novice000, 21st Jun, 2016.

1. Novice000

Novice000 New Member

Hi all, I am currently doing an extension around the kitchen area and have hit a hurdle in terms of flooring options.
    The extension floor is yellow tongue board on piers and joists. This floor is joined to existing floor area, also on piers and joists.
    My builder said we can't put tiles over new/old floor joint due to floor movements. Or we must have a silicon sealant between the tiles around the area of the joint. I haven't seen this done before but I can imagine it would look pretty ugly.

Laminated floorboard/hard wood floor was suggested but it's not ideal for kitchen area. Vinyl was also considered but it does nothing to the property value and plus it looks very 1970s.

So I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone have had this issue before and what did you do to solve this issue?

Thank you.

2. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Vinyl Plank flooring. It does not look 1970s at all. I have it in my kitchen

[​IMG]

Bayview likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

+1 Vinyl plank. Best flooring, I've used it in 3 of my own properties, it's excellent. I'm getting it my PPOR eventually too.

Bayview likes this.
  4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Marc's phone 671.jpg
    ^^^ This is from a display home we visited recently.

Yep; what they said - vinyl plank - it feels great, sounds great (to walk on), looks great (not the old elcheapo lino look).

5. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

I'm considering the vinyl plank for a IP reno in the future. Does everyone use the stick down type or the floating type or some other adhesive in-between? Also I would assume you remove tiles and level/flatten the slab before laying.

6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I could only base my answer on my experience. When I got my PPOR done, a 'click-on' vinyl plan was used, so you don't stick it or use any adhesive in between.
    [​IMG]

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

I've used stick-down, but never installed it myself. The floating ones can be noisy to walk on. The stick down ones can also be used in wet areas - nice if you hate tiles.

8. Username86

Thanks Mumbai and Jess. Mumbai are you happy with the result? I haven't looked at, or walked on any myself yet (that I know of!) I would think that the floating floor would move around a bit?

9. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I am generally happy. I got my kitchen installed after I did the flooring (should have done after) because of which there are a couple planks that look a bit stretched. Make sure the base is pretty clean to avoid having any lumps/bumps on the planks

10. Username86

Awesome! thanks for the tips