Floorboard repair?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by ATANG, 17th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Hi guys, my apartment floorboard is kinda old... Not sure if it's worth repairing? If repair what can I do with it? Can I just polish it or better rip them up and put new ones in?

Attached Files:

2. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I think you can easily get those sanded and polished, they'll look like new again.
    Alternatively you can get them replaced, they are just floating boards so not a massive job unless there are some nasties lurking underneath.
    vtt
    :D

3. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Ahh. Can sanding get rid of some of those scratches? Are these really cheap floorboard? I am not sure course I thought there are many types of floorboards, some are the expensive ones e.g. Natural

4. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

They look like floating floors. If they are then they can't be sanded because they are only 12mm thick to start with. They will have to be pulled up and replaced

5. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Looks like a floating floor to me also - once you have furniture and rugs etc in could you live with the end result? Otherwise it is a pull up and replace job.

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yes its a floating floor, but floating can also be timber and not just vinyl laminate.

But looking at the colour of that scratch its 99% laminate as thats the grey backing board showing through

7. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Yes DaveM is right. There are different types of floating floors, there are laminate floors which are basically chipboard board with a plastic image of wood glued on top. Then there are floating wood floors which are also a sort of chipboard but have a thin sheet of real wood glued on top.

You can't sand back a laminate floor but you definitely can sand back a wood floor, I know this as we have done it. It's hard to tell how deep that scratch is, but I think DaveM might be right that it is laminate and that is the backing showing through from a deep scratch. In that case it is a pull up and replace job, but that is not a massive job, if you are a bit handy you can do it yourself.

vtt
    :D

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.