Floor sanding and polishing Logan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by 212, 12th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 212

212 Guest

Dear PC gurus,
    We will settle on a property early May, and looking to remove the carpet and Vinyl, then sand and polish the floors. it is a hardwood flooring underneath the carpet. I saw couple of properties for rent / sale with polished floors, and it looks very nice.

Do you guys have experience doing sanding and polishing?, what is the estimate cost per square meter, my house is a 3.1.1?, do you have recommendations for tradesman to do the job?

Thanks.

2. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    sort of in the same position. After sanding the floors after removing old carpets in my ppor...
    the are that i'm after sanding/polishing is around 71sqm i believe and seems like most quotes are coming around the 2000-2500 AUD. Good luck with it all

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It's a rental property, R.B.?

There is an ATO ID I recall about this. It's an odd one, and an old one so might have been superseded. A taxpayer with a rental property ripped up the carpets and polished the floors and was permitted to claim the cost as a 'repair'. It doesn't say how long he had owned the place for, but it would be good to wait a year or so I reckon.
    What that would mean is that the current value of the carpet when you toss it out could be claimed under the disposal provisions. So there is an immediate deduction there.
    And then the cost of the sand and polish may be able to be claimed as an immediate deduction also.
    In total, you might be able to claim, say, $4,000 in deductions.

But if you toss the carpet out as soon as you get the keys, you can't claim the value of it. And the money you spend polishing the floor you can only claim at 2.5%pa. (Not quite as good as 100% this year.)

This is not advice, but something to ponder and investigate further. Have a chat to your accountant about it. They often know the smart way to do stuff - it's often in the timing. Here is that decision:

ATO ID 2002/330 - Rental property repairs - replacing worn carpet by polishing existing floorboards

Scott

RetireRich101 and SirDingo like this.
  4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

from memory around $30m2

I just had mine done in logan
    $1200 for 35m2 and also replace a few boards which were rotten

There was one guy on gumtree that advertised 21 etc but he never answered or replied to calls/texts

5. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

@gach2 are you happy with the job? I need to do mine in Ednes landing but it upstairs. Not sure of the size, just need someone trustworthy and fair on price.

6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Was good at the time of completion
    I havent seen the floor boards since