Floor plans with no alfresco

Discussion in 'Development' started by Damon, 18th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Looking to property at the weekend to knock down and build using a volume builder.
    Block is 15.2 x 45.8m.

Does anybody know where I can find a floor plan without an alfresco????

I am looking at blocks to suit 14m width, and 32m long, but will still be blessed with a big backyard.
    The problem is after looking at close to 20 builders, every single floor plan has some tiny little alfresco area cut into the corner or side of the floor plan, that stares at the side fence from 1m away and ruins the floor plan.
    We want to build our own outdoor area out the back as we have the space.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The cheaper options may have no alfresco.

Just check that you can get a permit to build something in future as you may be over the block coverage requirements.

Or get a plan with a volume builder that allows you to extend the Alfresco across the whole back of the house.

Metricon used to provide Grand Alfresco options like this or the option for no alfresco.

Last edited: 18th Aug, 2021
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

So you're happy to have one attached to the house if it was at the true rear or you don't want one at all because you will be a detached one towards the rear of the block?

4. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

I dont mind if its on the rear, because I would probably just ask for it to be left off and create my own.

The fact is all these floor plans are designed for 32m long blocks, with no backyard.

We will have 20m of backyard to play with, so dont want a narrow living area with a ****** little alfresco cut into it.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple really ;)

Find a plan you like and ask the builder for an amendment :)

Should the amendment be to incorporate the alfresco area into the living area it shouldn't cost much/any more as it's likely under the same roof line :cool:

Deleting an alfresco would require a roofline change and could cost more :oops:

Archaon and Joynz like this.
  6. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

We have spoken to 2 so far and they have said not possible to delete the alfresco and open up the living area, so just trying to narrow down which builders will do this.

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Surprising :eek:
    Same amount of tiling, lights, electrical and most things, just got to turn the sliding doors into windows (cheaper) and put them at the external walls (if it's truss roof frame).
    Am surprised they outright said no :confused:
    Work is work......

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what the OP’s ‘open up the living area’ means…

9. Westminster

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  10. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

I don't mind the Murray Home Design by Beachwood, but would prefer a 2nd living area.

Don't like the Porter Davis ones.

Zenith by SJD looks alright- do you reckon they would get rid of the walkout bit next to the dining to widen it up?

11. Westminster

Actually just realised that I have seen a pretty good non alfresco plan in another thread from a Melbourne person - maybe ask them who the builder is if you like it. It has nice interaction to the rear garden, would be great with a nice large alfresco along the back and seems to have decent proportions

East or West facing living areas

12. Westminster

Yup - the Zenith would be much better with the dining room pulled out to be in line with the kitchen and living area. I'm sure that would be possible

13. minky123

minky123 Well-Known Member

Arden homes have plenty of floorplans without alfresco. They've made suncourts instead as this allows a home with bigger internal habitable space. Full floorplan customisation can be done free of charge. Mid-sized volume builder.

14. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

I actually just got an add for Arden Homes this morning with an offer to cover demolition or site costs. How would they price compared to say a Metricon or Simonds?

15. minky123

The promo is actually a free allowance of 24k that goes towards site costs or demo. If it exceeds the allowance, you will pay the shortfall.
    The base price Arden is higher than Metricon and Simmonds but the inclusions are better. Arden provides double glazed throughout as standard, fisher and paykel appliances, just to name a few. With standard inclusions, best to compare apples to apples. If you upspec a metricon or simmonds home to match the inclusions given by Arden and take into account the site cost allowance promo, the price would be similar.
    With Arden's free floorplan customisation, you would be saving a minimum of 5k in working drawings drafting fees.

Stoffo likes this.
  16. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

I found this floorplan on another forum and it is perfect. I have spoken to Simonds and it would cost $14k to add a 9 x 3m alfresco along the back.

Do Arden have any similar floor plans?

Attached Files:

Westminster likes this.
  17. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

And do Arden build in Geelong?

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Perhaps give them a call and ask. Or look them up online.

It’s the best way to get up to date, accurate info.

Home builders in Melbourne | Arden Homes

19. Westminster

Glad that linked helped - I thought it would suit your requirements and it's a very functional layout.

20. minky123

Arden charges $520 per m2 to add alfresco. So the $14k from Simmonds is spot on with Ardens pricing.
    Have a look at Ardens floorplans and if you dont like it you can fully customise it to suit your needs at no cost. This is their main selling point as a volume builder. And they do build in the Geelong area.