Floor plan ideas

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by There, 6th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. There

There Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I live in split level house in North West Sydney. I have dead space (purple) that I'd like to start making use of.

I was thinking about adding few walls and tearing down some to create a large ensuite in the ground floor (new walls in blue). It will open up space for much needed large master, WIR and ensuite. However, Im wondering if a master in the lower ground floor , next to a living area adds much value.

The entire job is around 45k according to my bujlder. Keen to know in your opinion if this change would add that much value.

I'm uploading the floor plan to get any smart Reno ideas. I'm mostly concerned about the lower ground floor...any ideas are warmly welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. There

There Well-Known Member

3. There

There Well-Known Member

Any takers?

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

As an oldie with adult kids, I would have no qualms having my bedroom on the ground floor and other occupants using the upstairs rooms.

It looks like the downstairs rumpus was originally the garage. It may or may not be legally constructed as a bedroom or living area.

If you make the bathroom into an ensuite, will you have anywhere else for a downstairs toilet that other people can use without going through your private bedroom? Will there be enough headroom under the stairs? Maybe keep the current bathroom and build an ensuite into your new plan.

There and Joynz like this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It seems to be a lot of money to spend, to have something that doesn't look like it was planned to be there in the first place, as well as loosing a toilet from the lower floor.

How about this.
    upload_2021-12-8_7-29-49.jpeg

Angel likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

What do you want to achieve?

If you follow your plan, the only toilets for guests is the lower ensuite or the upper level, which means people using your ensuite or traipsing through the bedrooms.

If you simply want to utilise the “wasted” space, I would suggest relocating the door of bedroom 4 to where the cupboard is. Then partition off a 5th bedroom. You only lose one cupboard. Should not cost too much. Good for teenage kids.

There likes this.
  7. There

There Well-Known Member

Thanks so much @Angel , @skater and @Marg4000 for the responses! Your advice definitely steered me clear fr that costly change.

Now I'm contemplating on one of the 2 options...

1. Do no floor plan changes, and keep the floor plan open. Reno the old powder room n laundry

2. Build a new master, WIR and ensuite in ground floor.

I am leaning towards first option.

20211208_194208.jpg

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Some of these things really depend on what's the issues at the moment
    - do you hate your tiny shower in the ensuite
    - do you have too little robe space in the master bedroom
    - do you want some separation from your kids
    - are your kids an age where separate bathrooms might stop some yelling when mid to late teenagers are terrible at sharing

There and skater like this.
  9. There

There Well-Known Member

Thanks heaps everyone... I finally made my decision not to change the floor plan, and do a reno for the bathroom and laundry...

The reasons I initially wanted to change the floor plans were the smaller master bed and WIR . But I think Ill have to live with it