Floor Plan Help - Bathroom Problems

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tl_6100, 15th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tl_6100

tl_6100 Well-Known Member

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Soooo I'm guessing
    1. you still want 3 bedrooms
    2. you are happy with just one bathroom and there doesn't need to be a bath?
    3. could you be happy to give up the door in the laundry?

I have some idea but honestly I would pretty much leave the bathroom as it is. I'd probably have a 600mm wide vanity and then a full length shower. The full length shower could be a shower over a bath if necessary. You could make it appear larger by knocking out the wall between the bathroom and the toilet but having the toilet separate does allow someone to use the toilet when someone is in the shower easily.

PS I'd probably keep the kitchen in it's current location but change it up but that does depend on how you want to flow to the outside area

3. tl_6100

I think the "bathroom problems" title may have been a poor choice - the whole floor plan needs some input :)

I had been playing with idea (the cheap idea) to do as you are suggest and just tweak the bathroom space. I just was not certain that sticking with a pokey bathroom was the right idea.

I agree that the main benefit I would get from knocking down the wall to bring the toilet in to the bathroom would be to open the space up a bit; no real space gain. That being said for now the separate toilet seems to make a lot of sense for a 3 by 1. Currently the room wastes 25% of the floor space to a dead zone you can't get too so I can fix that and see how it goes.

I would consider doing something with the laundry; if not bathroom space than maybe living. I keep joking that the laundry is the biggest room in the house.

Regarding your PS,
    I am interested in your thoughts for the kitchen. My main thoughts are to how to make the front living area flow to the back yard. Currently there is no flow as the only access is through the laundry. Adding a door to the left of the kitchen may do this well enough.

4. tl_6100

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Would you close off the laundry external door and put the washing machine there, and put the toilet into the laundry.

Hang on, put the toilet where the external door is, and redo the laundry including the tub into the rest of the current laundry location.

Then you can remove the current dividing wall and make the new bathroom much larger.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

What are you hoping to achieve by moving the kitchen?

You can get just as much access to the rear by opening up the rear wall to the left of the kitchen. Remove the wall to open up the kitchen to the living areas.

A lot depends on the value of the property and the amount that can be spent in renovations before over-capitalising.
    Marg

craigc and wylie like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I understand the kitchen sits against the wall that you want to install doors to the outdoor living area and that's why you want to move it.

I also agree for the size of the house the laundry is both too big, and in an odd place. It looks like everyone (including visitors) walks past the laundry to use the bathroom?

It is taking up a huge area that could be put to much better use.

I'd push the bulky kitchen items into that laundry corner so you clear the door to the outdoor living area, remove the wall between kitchen and living area and place your island bench where it works best (once you know the new kitchen layout).

And that dead corner in the bathroom is also wasted space. If you are changing the bathroom I'd certainly change that. I would make the shower run to that wall. Water should not touch the window that far away if you put the shower head against the hallway wall, but you'd need to check if you can do that.

Personally I'd open the toilet to the bathroom but I'm not a lover of a separate toilet. It is a very personal thing, and also, if you want a second toilet, you could possibly squeeze one in where that dead space is between shower and window and stick with the smaller shower. Again, personal choice.

8. tl_6100

Marg, there is a large risk of over capitalizing as the house is small.

The idea to move kitchen was a way to remove the dividing kitchen wall. As the house is so small, that room is really segregated by the wall. If the kitchen remains does that means the wall does too?

I like the idea of adding a new door either in place of the existing window or to the left of the kitchen where it stands.

Wylie, the crazy thing with the laundry is it is also the only way to the outdoor living area... and a 800sqm back yard! Are you suggesting to wall up that door for extra living and kitchen?

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

As @Marg4000 has indicated, much of this will depend on how much you spend before you start to overcapitalise.

But assuming you are living there and want to change the layout to improve your enjoyment, then I'd close up the laundry door, remove the wall between kitchen and laundry and push large items (fridge, euro laundry) against that back wall (possibly backing on the toilet wall, but it is not a big wall).

If you can push the new door to the outdoor area further towards the end of the house that gives you a nice run of bench along that side with large windows to the outside and an island that sits wherever it suits best for the layout you pick.

Some people don't like a euro laundry but it is a great space saver, and the wall between toilet and bathroom and need for two doors is taking up a lot of space. Sliding door in the bathroom would save some "swing" room but one open room would feel so much more spacious. Again, toilet in the bathroom is something people love or hate.

10. Westminster

Can I ask if this is a house with a concrete slab or timber floor on joists? Judging by the bathroom fixtures it could be either and it probably impacts some of my ideas.

11. tl_6100

Concrete slab; none of the services come from the slab and are easy to change, so it's only the drains that may cause some pain.

There are two drains, one in the shower one in the dead space.

12. Westminster

This is my idea.

Don't get too excited about the kitchen! As you know it's a very narrow area so it's just a 600mm inline kitchen along the back wall with a tiny pantry shelf nook which is about 30cm deep (imagine something similar to a bookcase). The island bench is definitely not something to get excited about as it can probably only be 600mm deep. Imagine something like this Orchard Oak Workbench 1680x620x900mm

The big thing I am showing is that area in front of the entrance. It's actually a really unuseable space so I would frame up some walls and enclose it. You could put the laundry in here or even a second bathroom. Enclosing this space shouldn't have any downside, the open plan format should still work.

6100 Floor Plan_edit.jpg

broc119 likes this.
  13. tl_6100

I am trying to work out a floor plan, to establish a budget, to then see if the end product is worth the expense.

There are a few small urgent things we are looking at such as floors, walls and the bathroom. The kitchen is staying in the 70s for a while and is 6mths to a year away I'd say.

I do like the kitchen ideas here. I'll have a play with the space and see what kind of kitchen I can come up with.

What would you think about making the 3rd bedroom into something uselfull like ensuite / WIR / new laundry etc.

14. Westminster

With the bathroom I'd consider halving the size of the window so there is only window on the shower side so that you can put a mirrored medicine cabinet on the left

I've used this 600mm vanity in a renovation but in an oak front and it's looked really good Cibo Design 600mm White Revive Vanity with this shaving cabinet https://www.bunnings.com.au/forme-500-x-670-x-127mm-radcliffe-shaving-cabinet-and-mirror_p1730084

I think I'd keep the 3rd bedroom. If you only had 2 bedrooms then you have even less reason to make an ensuite

15. tl_6100

That is a very good point RE ensuite!

Thanks for the tips, I will take a look. What would you do for the shower? Opening/hinged door/curtain/sliding door?

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You will most likely devalue your property by reducing it to 2 bedrooms. Take advice before going down this road.
    Marg